JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

Pros:
  • "Great product and excellent associate discounts"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Excellent discount, great customer's, and good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job'"
    in 31 reviews
  • "No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not my first choice

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee discount is great. Most of my coworkers are awesome (but that can be anywhere). There is room to move up in the company.

ConsThe pay is not good at all. Draw vs. commission is a joke. If you're full time at a slow store, it is damn near impossible to make commission. You bust your butt selling things and odds are you will probably get paid hourly. The manager at my store is terrible, but that can occur anywhere. The prices constantly changing makes it difficult on customers and difficult on us. It's hard to really push a product when the price continuously changes. The number of sales has taught people I only come and shop with spending a lot in mind when it's a good sale like but 1 get 3. When there aren't sales and most things are full price, not too many people want to shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees better and more thoroughly. Quit the constant price changes. Get rid of draw vs commission or make it reasonable at least at historically slow stores

Great company to work for until they decided the stock holders were more important than the employees.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNice stores to work in, some of the people you work with and some of the customers are great.

ConsIt seems if you're dishonest, unethical or immune to Gestapo tactics you will succeed with this company. If you aren't, then be prepared to have your spirit squashed or become someone you don't like or recognize. The pay for management is ok if you don't average it out by hours worked, just don't expect to get a yearly bonus because they have that all figured in their favor.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get back to basics and start treating your people with the respect they deserve and the rewards that should accompany their hard work. You ruined the company with your never ending sales yet expect your employees to meet your already unrealistic goals. Belittling and threatening people does not garner loyalty or the strong results you are looking for.

JAB is now on the "Top 10 Worst Companies" list from Wall St Journal

ProsThere is some quality people who work at the store level. Decent discounts for merchandise, flexible schedules - most of the time.

Men's Warehouse recently acquired JAB, maybe somebody can fix this mess?!

ConsThe pay structure is insulting. No raises have even given in almost 4 years. It's galling when you consider what the previous CEO was making every year. RSD's can be bullies and use foul language whenever the mood strikes. Daily memos from RSDS are condescending at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason why the jig is up and this company is now # 4 on the "Top 10 Worst Companies To Work For" - IT IS!

Stop caring about how full your wallet is and stop with the constant greed. We are people who work for you,; we are not numbers or livestock.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Distribution center on par with sweat shop

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsI liked my supervisor and most of my co-workers were generally congenial and pleasant to work with. Facility was close to home, country-like setting, pleasant commute, relaxed dress code, good overtime pay, union medical insurance was very affordable.

ConsInconsistent training, union would not stand up for its members (totally in bed with management), restrictive environment, favoritism by supervisors, low pay for hard work, no pay increase for more work, mandatory weekends & sometimes 7 day work weeks during peak times. Union employees get no sick leave, no retirement plan, and the attendance policy is unreasonable. You'd better pray you never get sick, your spouse, kids, parents or pets never get sick, and your car never breaks down or needs to go into the shop. They will still count the absences against you and won't even accept doctor's notes. If you accumulate a certain number of absences, you will be summarily fired. This is appalling! The current policy penalizes good employees while the employees who forge doctor's notes and abuse FMLA continue their evil-doing without consequence. The place is so poorly managed, one might wonder how the company has survived. Management counts on the fact that people need jobs (esp. people who have trouble finding employment elsewhere), so they can get away with treating employees so poorly. Don't like it? Then get out. There will always be another warm body willing to jump on the treadmill. Advancement opportunities? Unless you're a man who's buddies with his supervisor, better forget about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might want to start with running background checks on your supervisors and get rid of the felons. And for goodness sake, provide some management skill training. Many of them have no supervisory experience whatsoever, and seem to be unfamiliar with HR policy and laws. I've witnessed bullying tactics, foul language and racist comments. This kind of behavior by supervisors presents a liability for the company and makes for a negative work environment. Other advice: get rid of the union and include all employees under the same umbrella - the union creates an "us and them" mentality. Start drug testing and background checks for all distribution center employees and increase the pay scales. Better quality employees = better quality workplace, more efficient management, less turnover and absenteeism, less waste, less shrink, more profits.

A Frustrating Three Years

Sales "Executive" (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI made several great friends. The store manager would let us have most of his sales in an attempt to keep us happy.

ConsIt is mathematically impossible to make a living wage in a small market store. The obsolescent draw system used by the company requires a permanent employee to sell in the neighborhood of $6,000 before commission is activated. I made 17 cents above my hourly pay (that NEVER was raised in three years) in one very active sales week. My largest "bonus" cleared $50 for over $300,000 in sales. There is no incentive to sell late in a slow week. I still worked hard in that situation because that's all I know, but I am certain that my work ethic was affected subconsciously.

Customers are permitted to be unreasonable, and any resistance to them results in disciplinary action up to and sometimes including termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being condescending dictators and adopt a more considerate attitude toward employees. The long term result will be a more experienced, long-term workforce. A pay scale of minimum wage per hour plus 1-2% of all sales for each employee might cost the company more initially, but would elevate morale and incentive.

Department Manager Ha! You are really just a 3rd key!

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsDiscount is 40%. Weekly paycheck. Maybe you will meet some nice co workers. It is usually located in area with decent food to pick for lunch. Easy computer programs. I think they are still in DOS.

ConsStop having so many sales! You are lowering the value of your product! If you want a large turn out for your sales have them less frequently! If one of your customers exchange a shirt for a different shirt. Your co worker will steal your sale! Horrible! You have to cold call customers all of the time

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an actual break room. You are forced to take your break at the manager's desk. Tell potential employees the truth you are on a draw. You will not earn any money until you meet your draw which is nearly impossible most days.

On 6/24/14, Yahoo Finance, ranked Jos A Bank #4 Worst Company to Work For based on comments from this site.

Employee (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsBeside the wonderful employees in store? Most corrupt company out there. Hope Men's Wearhouse fires everyone where it's needed. That would be a positive.

ConsWhat they didn't tell you on Yahoo is most of the "positive" posts are made by the HR Dept at Jos A Bank to improve their rating on this site. And there is a really good chance if it wasn't for the "Great Opportunity" posts Jos A Bank would have scored #2 on this list of Americas Worst Companies to Work For. The "Great Opportunities" posts are of course because the turnover is EPIC... 100-200% annually and there really is "Good Opportunity" if you like...
    - Working on Thanksgiving Day
    - Working sometimes 5/6am to 10/12pm during the Holidays short a manager and then short another intelligent/hard working/non abusive manager who isn't looking for another job.
    - Making $7.25 an hour. Jos A Bank Corp goes out of their way to under-bid the stores on-line so they can keep the stores sale associates from making commission. Because the more commission they don't pay out to sale associates every week is the more money the company gets to keep/save. And just in case you missed what I'm getting at. Let me say it another way. 70 to 80% of the Stores employees DO NOT MAKE COMMISSION week in and week out. You MAY make commission once or twice a year. And if you complain about things like this and below. They fire you for made up and bogus reasons. Only the high volume stores make commission. And the employees, on here, who have said they make commission ARE AT THE HIGH VOLUME STORES!!!
    - Ruining someone's wedding and having wedding party after wedding party yelling at you. After the women get done with you... the guys want to fight because their future bride is crying and pissed off. All because the Company didn't roll out a working system... not once... not twice... not three times... but around 4 times they rolled out flawed systems where you had to be a brain Surgeon to figure out how not to ruin this 13 person wedding party. Where you had to have multiple communications with the groom... the bride... his groomsman all over the country... her family... his family... and the dude who unfortunately waited till the last minute and his tux is back in New York on Wedding Day.
    - Dealing with EPIC IT issues because 50% of the IT Dept has quit. You... simply... will... not... get help when you need it.
    - Dealing with a brand new person every time in Catalog Dept when you call.
    - Dealing with a new hire at other stores.
    - Dealing with new hires at your store. (Hope you like non stop training).
    - Dealing with new managers everywhere. (Hope you like more training).
    - Dealing with HR changing policies constantly. Then going back to what they were. Then changing when it's convenient for them.
    - If you like corporate to come to your store and yell at your tailors for not getting enough tailoring done... quick enough.
    - If you like your NTS tailors to go on strike before the company listens. They had to walk off the job before anyone cared.
    - If you like never getting a bonus... or raise... or commission.
    - If you like working with homeless people.
    - Constant "Sales".
    - Like recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, recruiting...
    - If you like politics. You wont win because nobody is listening to you. Because nobody cares.
    - If you like to work for people who think Men are lazy and dumb, and only like to promote their gender. It's an Amazing opportunity for women. They're the only ones who get promoted. Others get replaced by women... even if they have zero experience. Them not caring how you appear to your peers.
    - Working for a brand new company with yet again... brand new rules, Men's Wearhouse.

If you like all those things above.. and you're a woman. Sign up. You'll be promoted over every guy within a few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the top players at the old Jos A Bank and send them packing. Don't be nice about it. Remind them as the door is hitting them in the rear-end... "...And your employees hated you".

Great Time Great People

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Waltham, MA

ProsVery Accommodating manager, tries to be helpful to everyone. As long as you know what you're doing and don't slack off it's a great environment

ConsDid not experience any cons. Maybe the leaving early policy but that is not too big of a deal

Advice to Senior Managementthink about snow storm policy, that's all great time otherwise

Stressful

ProsSome supervisors are flexible with time off when needed.

ConsA very high stress environment and being underpaid does not help.

Assistant Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't really give a positive comment, other than it will give you exposure to a working environment.

ConsPoor leadership, lack of adequate pay, and poorly structured work hours. I never saw nor did I take part in
    administering an annual job review for anyone, the three years I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe things will change after Men's Warehouse takes over the operations and structure of the company!

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

JoS. A. Bank – Why Work for Us?

As one of the nation’s premier clothiers, our reputation for beautifully made, classically styled, tailored and casual clothing has earned us the trust and confidence of generations of customers. Our team members are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JoS. A. Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JoS. A. Bank CEO R. Neal Black. All 329 reviews posted anonymously by JoS. A. Bank employees.