JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
2.2

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black
R. Neal Black

Pros
  • They have just recently improved the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 33 reviews)

• No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great customers, awful management

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautifully tailored clothing at great price points. With the right salesperson, a person could build a great wardrobe on a reasonable budget.

Cons

They seem to hire basically anyone who applies. This leads to having team members that view the job as a stop-gap as they seek other opportunities. The worst part is that if they fire a manager, they look at current (inept) staff to fill the position. Usually I support hiring from within, but in some cases, "new blood" is necessary.

Enter the case of my store manager. She does her best to NOT work, while slyly " reporting" enough hours to fulfil her salary requirement. She has the system figured out. She schedules herself for the "prime" hours based on the previous years metrics. She then hoards customers like a troll guarding a bridge. Then she leaves early, after basically wiping the sales floor with her employees faces.

Schedule changes without notifying employees happens at least twice a week. If you have a day off, you had better call in for the next days hours, or I guarantee you'll be "late".

If there's ever a customer complaint, you can count on your store manager to pin the blame on someone else. They dont take responsibility for ANYTHING, even if the complaint is clearly about them. It's always YOUR fault. They do np wrong, even if they come in with huge bags under their eyes from their "fun" the night before.

My store manager is a passive aggressive nightmare. She seems to view females as competition that she needs to defame and obliterate. She hires them, then she runs them off. All in all, she's nothing more than a bitter old lady with a huge jealousy issue. She also deliberately generates complaints against the female associates she dislikes, by contacting customers with a made-up issue with their order. I have personally witnessed her encouraging a customer to complain to corporate over a delivery issue that was out of the salesperson's hands.

Approaching the district manager will get you branded as a "troublemaker". Forget doing the right thing, and forget trying to do what's best for the customer. This company caters to weak "managers" that can't even manage their own lives. Beware working for this lecherous company.

Hire better managers

Time to join the 21st. century

Current Employee - Sales Person in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable. A good place to work if you have financial support from outside

Cons

Renting tuxedos is a total waste of your selling time. You caqn work with someone for an hour and earn $1.20. Not an incentive to work with rental customers. Time off sturcture leaves little opportunity to enjoy family life outside of work. Weekend hours are a disgrace. Holiday hours are not much better. Who even wakes up on New Years Day before noon, let alone goes clothes shopping. Give me a break!!!

Our "new" management needs to improve the pay structure from being antiquated and laughable to something meaningful and liveable. Rental of tuxedos should be performed by "salaried" individuals who receive just compensation for their time spent. Our initial contact with Mens Wearhouse was pleasant enough, now we would like to see something meaningful happen for Jos. A. Bank employees.

it was an okay job.

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

easy work
    easy goals
    good product
    easy to sale.

Cons

pay,
    not alot of hours

Easy, Laid back...depends on manager though

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun employees, relaxed environment

Cons

lousy pay, hard to move up, upper management is clueless

promote from within

Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location, training, colleagues are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Salary is extremely low especially given the constant sales promotions which negatively impact employee pay.

Buy 1 get 4 free

Former Employee - Third Keyholder in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Third Keyholder in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well made clothing for men

Cons

The sales quotas set for all employees are impossible to reach ANY month with 4 for 1 sales, which they have every week. The only person that has zero quota is the manager, while employees do all the stock work and cleaning they make the sales. Its a real scam.

Change store hours to reflect traffic patterns. Straight commission on all items, free items too. In S.F. nobody can live on >$2000.00 a month. Middle management should not say things they don't back up (B.S.) just to keep people hungry.

In the time i worked for this company before mens warehouse takeover

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Initially be aware my store location i will keep anonymous hence my position is not challenging to find.

I can only say i had one good manager since i started, that is the only pro... out of 4

one can only hope the merge would help the employment treatment

Cons

List can go for ages ill give the basics

poor management from RSD to the store level, there is no integrity, there is no proper treatment to the point where employees have to walk around with sound recorders to prove how badly they are being treated. AND THE WRONG DOERS ARE STILL WORKINGwhile the ones who record the down talking is still employed.

HR will only respond if you say the word lawsuit

If you stand up for yourself someone will try to get rid of you.

It is rare to even get a raise, or get a living wage as just salary.

GET RID OF THE HORRIBLE TREATMENT SO MORAL COULD BE RAISED

Great, not only do you sell, you also make a lot of connections.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Auburn, AL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You meet a lot of people and can make great connections. The discount for employees is amazing.

Cons

The holiday hours. And the extended hours that really have no meaning. The pay is ok, just make you sure sell alot.

Staying open longer, and opening at 10:00 on Sundays is kind of pointless.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Department Manager in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very friendly, and I learned a lot about men's fashion. I appreciated that they advanced quickly, and gave autonomy where it was deserved.

Cons

The pay was not the best considering all the work that me and the other employees were doing. They told me they would give me a raise in salary and commission, but I never received the raise or backpay for the raise.

No career here, stay away from Jos A Bank

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent product. Promising outlook for a few store level associates if some of the changes that menswarehouse wants to make come to fruition.

Cons

Most sales associates and department or assistant managers will not earn more than $9/hour, most store managers will not earn more than 30-40k per year working 55+hours/week. Regional managers, division managers and above are tyrants and attack store managers with pressure from every angle. Associates at corporate offices are never happy to help associates at store level. Rsd's always frown upon or DENY any vacation requests by store managers. Expect to never have a saturday off working at jos a bank stores. Menswarehouse has promised a change of culture but hasn't gotten rid of any of the jos a bank tyrants, all they did was put lipstick on those pigs. Promotions are never based on merit, only on politics. The moral at the store level is poor because of RSD's and above. RSD's will pound you to the ground and squeeze every ounce of morale out of you.

Menswarehouse: Replace the useless jos a bank tyrants at the RSD level and above. Offer your store associates the possibly earn a decent wage. Do not make your store managers work over 45 hours per week. Encourage (instead of frowning upon or DENYING) your store managers to take their hard earned vacation time and holiday time off. Why give vacation time and holiday time if store associates are not allowed to take the time off? Menswarehouse will not earn the trust and respect of the store level associates until some real changes are made at the RSD level and above.
    Give the company a meaningful identity, right now we are the laughing stock of retail with all the silly sales and promotions. Regardless of the sale, any customer can walk into any jos a bank and get 75% off any suit or sport coat, at any time. Worst place to work if you have a family because RSD's and above do not care about you or your family.