JoS. A. Bank

Updated August 18, 2014

2.3

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black
R. Neal Black

Pros
  • Selling can be fun sometimes and you meet some great customers that make you feel important (in 11 reviews)

• Great product, great quality, coworkers are very hardworking and dedicated employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 32 reviews)

• 70 to 80% of the Stores employees DO NOT MAKE COMMISSION week in and week out (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Exhausting.

Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Great Associates and Dept. Mgrs.

Cons

High stress level, low paycheck yield.

Get a grip.

Stressful

Pros

Some supervisors are flexible with time off when needed.

Cons

A very high stress environment and being underpaid does not help.

Job Review

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

Pros

My coworkers were very nice and easy to work with.

Cons

So much work for so little pay, customers were very rude, on your feet all day with no time for a break.

Learn how to treat employees, think about how they feel about certain things.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for this company is a joke. A bad, unfunny, and depressing joke

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The only pros for this job would be *some* of the people I worked with and *some of the customers* - Very select few - the majority of fellow employees and customers only make things worse.

Cons

I don't want to be here all day, but I do want to give anyone looking into employment here an honest opinion of what daily life is working here.

SELLING/COMMISSION
    Unless you *really* care about selling you will likely NEVER make commission, depending on the store you work. Some stores are high-volume, and some are not. IF you work in high volume store, there are probably 2-3 other associates who will shark everyone and soak up most the sales. They won't have time for any of the other work they are supposed to do and you will get to do it, an effective double-whammy - If you aren't one of the top salesmen in your store, you'll be stuck doing the menial work AND you won't make commission. If you are in a low volume store realistically only 1 person has the chance to draw commission weekly. The commission structure is also a joke.

MANAGEMENT
    I was a manager, but my title didn't really mean much. They have such high turnover, like a fast-food place, that you're basically running a daycare. Basically it seems the corporate paradigm is "Give them X amount of tasks and expect them to perform X times 2" - The classic 1 step ahead, 2 steps behind treatment. The store managers are all middle aged and older and from what I saw, the lack of work-life balance causes them all to be terribly unhappy, stressed, and fearful of losing their jobs.

PAY
    The pay is the biggest joke of all. You'll be paid barely above minimum wage and they'll squeeze every penny they can out of you. If you need an actual income you should look elsewhere. IF you're retied or independently wealthy and are just bored and need something to do, this might be a great job for you. If not, you'll hate yourself for ever giving this company a single second of your time.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE
    There is none. Again, the store managers I met on my horrible, horrible time with this company had their physical/mental health seriously affected by the outrageous standards imposed by this company. I was a manager and as such, the phrase "Day off" means "day not at work still dealing with work".

CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
    Relatively none unless you like sucking up to people and having your personal integrity and self respect degraded on a daily basis. I'm not even a smart person and I made manager in 5 months, but that's as far as I'd go. They would have to pay me 70k to do what a store manager does - it's THAT stressful being a store manager. Even my store managers boss would complain about the possibility of their marriage and family falling apart because of how much/hard this company worked them. It's not a career, it's a job, and a bad one.

CORPORATE/SENIOR MANAGEMENT
    I never met anyone higher than my store managers boss, (read section above) but after less than a year it became more than apparent that this company just doesn't care about you - you are not a human being - you are a tool for the company to make money, and unless you suck up enough, jump through enough ridiculous hoops to show how dedicated you are, you won't make it far. Even if you make it that far, you will have sacrificed your dignity, integrity and humanity to get there. You're a number here, not a person. Get back to work.

CULTURE AND VALUES
    Pretty much a reiteration of what I just described. Working here you are a tool, you have barely more than minimum wage (slave wage) value. I take nothing good from my experience here. All the good that I got from some of the people is heavily outweighed by the bad. To the point I take it personally and I will go at great lengths to expose people to how bad working for this company is.

Please, Please, take you and the rest of the bigwigs in corporate as well as your families and run into oncoming traffic. For the sake of humanity. Also, try taking some cyanide before hand, just to be sure.

Awful Executive Management

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Hampstead, MD

Pros

coworkers great people. very talented staff in certain depts.

Cons

culture is bad - bully mentality. little or no training. employees are not valued.

take some training in management skills

Horrendous Company with Awful benefits!

Pros

It was employment. I enjoyed working with my co-workers.

Cons

Upper Management gets off on power kicks and is quick in writing up its employees because they don't make sale quotas.

AWFUL pay. You barely make commission since it's not a company that is constantly busy on a daily basis with customers.

No one wants to, or pretty much rejects doing the tuxedo rentals. There is no solid, simple system when dealing with wedding parties. The computer systems are pathetic and outdated.

The customer service line is useless. They barely answer the phone when you call or it goes straight to voice mail. Which totally defeats the purpose of trying to help a customer! Getting in contact with anyone in corporate is like pulling teeth.

The health insurance is HORRENDOUS and barely covers anything!

Start treating your employees respectfully and communicate efficiently, instead of asserting power negatively by being patronizing and ego driven.

Distribution center on par with sweat shop

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker  in  Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD

Pros

I liked my supervisor and most of my co-workers were generally congenial and pleasant to work with. Facility was close to home, country-like setting, pleasant commute, relaxed dress code, good overtime pay, union medical insurance was very affordable.

Cons

Inconsistent training, union would not stand up for its members (totally in bed with management), restrictive environment, favoritism by supervisors, low pay for hard work, no pay increase for more work, mandatory weekends & sometimes 7 day work weeks during peak times. Union employees get no sick leave, no retirement plan, and the attendance policy is unreasonable. You'd better pray you never get sick, your spouse, kids, parents or pets never get sick, and your car never breaks down or needs to go into the shop. They will still count the absences against you and won't even accept doctor's notes. If you accumulate a certain number of absences, you will be summarily fired. This is appalling! The current policy penalizes good employees while the employees who forge doctor's notes and abuse FMLA continue their evil-doing without consequence. The place is so poorly managed, one might wonder how the company has survived. Management counts on the fact that people need jobs (esp. people who have trouble finding employment elsewhere), so they can get away with treating employees so poorly. Don't like it? Then get out. There will always be another warm body willing to jump on the treadmill. Advancement opportunities? Unless you're a man who's buddies with his supervisor, better forget about it.

You might want to start with running background checks on your supervisors and get rid of the felons. And for goodness sake, provide some management skill training. Many of them have no supervisory experience whatsoever, and seem to be unfamiliar with HR policy and laws. I've witnessed bullying tactics, foul language and racist comments. This kind of behavior by supervisors presents a liability for the company and makes for a negative work environment. Other advice: get rid of the union and include all employees under the same umbrella - the union creates an "us and them" mentality. Start drug testing and background checks for all distribution center employees and increase the pay scales. Better quality employees = better quality workplace, more efficient management, less turnover and absenteeism, less waste, less shrink, more profits.

Not my first choice

Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Employee discount is great. Most of my coworkers are awesome (but that can be anywhere). There is room to move up in the company.

Cons

The pay is not good at all. Draw vs. commission is a joke. If you're full time at a slow store, it is damn near impossible to make commission. You bust your butt selling things and odds are you will probably get paid hourly. The manager at my store is terrible, but that can occur anywhere. The prices constantly changing makes it difficult on customers and difficult on us. It's hard to really push a product when the price continuously changes. The number of sales has taught people I only come and shop with spending a lot in mind when it's a good sale like but 1 get 3. When there aren't sales and most things are full price, not too many people want to shop.

Train your employees better and more thoroughly. Quit the constant price changes. Get rid of draw vs commission or make it reasonable at least at historically slow stores

A Frustrating Three Years

Former Employee - Sales "Executive"  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I made several great friends. The store manager would let us have most of his sales in an attempt to keep us happy.

Cons

It is mathematically impossible to make a living wage in a small market store. The obsolescent draw system used by the company requires a permanent employee to sell in the neighborhood of $6,000 before commission is activated. I made 17 cents above my hourly pay (that NEVER was raised in three years) in one very active sales week. My largest "bonus" cleared $50 for over $300,000 in sales. There is no incentive to sell late in a slow week. I still worked hard in that situation because that's all I know, but I am certain that my work ethic was affected subconsciously.

Customers are permitted to be unreasonable, and any resistance to them results in disciplinary action up to and sometimes including termination.

Quit being condescending dictators and adopt a more considerate attitude toward employees. The long term result will be a more experienced, long-term workforce. A pay scale of minimum wage per hour plus 1-2% of all sales for each employee might cost the company more initially, but would elevate morale and incentive.

Department Manager Ha! You are really just a 3rd key!

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Discount is 40%. Weekly paycheck. Maybe you will meet some nice co workers. It is usually located in area with decent food to pick for lunch. Easy computer programs. I think they are still in DOS.

Cons

Stop having so many sales! You are lowering the value of your product! If you want a large turn out for your sales have them less frequently! If one of your customers exchange a shirt for a different shirt. Your co worker will steal your sale! Horrible! You have to cold call customers all of the time

Have an actual break room. You are forced to take your break at the manager's desk. Tell potential employees the truth you are on a draw. You will not earn any money until you meet your draw which is nearly impossible most days.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!