JoS. A. Bank

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.4

Doug Ewert

Pros
  • The sole benefit of working for this company is the employee discount (in 11 reviews)

• Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 33 reviews)

• No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Stock Clerk

Former Employee - Stock in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Stock in Buffalo, NY

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The sales really treats you like your family. They train you very well and since the clientele at Jos. A Banks are well-established its a great place for networking. As a retail store Jos. A. Banks looks great on a resume. It's very a good place to learn refined gentlemen's fashioN and expand your satorial palette.

Cons

It's incredibly competitive on the sales floor but I would not say this is neccesarily a con. If a person is laidback and tends to be passive this not the job for you. Sales associates tend to have had five or more years there, there is not a lot of turnover, so these sales associates already have clientele that requests them by name. The best way to overcome this is to befriend and learn from the senior and veteran sales associates.

No advice at the time

Ok

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Get to interact with many people, and if that's what you like doing, the job is great.

Cons

I think we are not compensated fairly for the amount of effort that goes into a sale.

Factory Store Department Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High energy and enthusiasm of managers. Higher hourly wage with no commission.

Cons

Rigid, "cookie cutter" management thinking about operations and merchandising. Unrelenting, and then nearly overwhelming stock shipments and consequent frequent, often daily major "floor moves," with no apparent reference to actual stock needs of the store. Little attention paid to a clutter of out-of-season overstock.

We need more frequent and interactive direction from District Management, and better stock keeping and filling operations.

ok place to work

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Hampstead, NH
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Hampstead, NH

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have a potential to get promotions on your hard work

Cons

Less pay as compared to others in the retail market

Should also consider people's advice working under them

Will Men's Wearhouse improve a bad situation at Jos. A. Bank... or make it worse????

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many good co-workers make this job a fun place to work. Hope lingers that men's Wearhouse will bring much needed improvements to some deplorable conditions.

Cons

This Flagship store ain't what it use to be. Some great employees are loosing hope because of a few others that get away with unethical practices time and again and go unpunished. This sets quite a bad example for the rest of us that try to do a great job.

The holiday party was a great and welcomed FIRST step in changing the existing mentality of Jos Bank employees. Read the Glassdoor.com to see how most employees feel about conditions in the worrkplace. Apathy has brought this flagship store and others to their knees. Heed the results of your Survey and take positive action, before the Good leave in frustration and you are left with only the BAD and the UGLY. .

NIce job while I was taking a break from school

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and pleasant environment

Cons

Bad Management, there was a lack of interest for sales associates. With change of Management, experience could have been better

None

Fine, but could have been better

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay with the work you do, nice customers

Cons

Managment- unbelievably uwful! Should hire right people for managers, they are there!!

Resign

Asst mgr

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Fun to help gentlemen and give them style

Cons

Working on commission. Although it is easy to do. They are not fair about their UP system. If you're the sole provider commission is not this job for you

Buy 1 suit, and get 3 suits, 2 shirts, a Lamborghini, a house, your college tuition FOR FREE!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Towson, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Only part I loved about this job was the coworkers. They usually feel the same as you, which means you just are able to work together, joke about the job, and have fun at the end of the day.
    -The discount was good too, except most times the customer can come in and get a better deal than the employee discount on some items. 2+ Promos every week, literally.

Cons

I could write a book about the "challenges" here, but I'll keep it simple...
    -The sales draw is a joke. At least for a company like this, where you can only break it during the holiday season... Unless you work at a flagship store where it is possible to break it some times outside the busy season, which I did, then I feel sorry for you.
    -Hmm, I don't have a family to really take care of so I can't even imagine...but still, no work/life balance. Don't expect to be off on Saturdays or Holidays. This place actually makes you come in on Thanksgiving. Who shops for suits on Thanksgiving? I thought so. Also, if you're full time, expect to work 50+ hours a week during busy time without notice.
    -Sales promos...In the words of Mike Ditka before Monday night football games.. "STOP IT!!!"
    -Big wigs... I barely met any, nor did I care to. But at least show appreciation for your sales associates and managers. There's no incentive for people to go out their way for this company. Employees have zero morale due to the way they are treated.
    -I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work for this company. It's that bad. So glad I'm not apart of this anymore.

-Listen to the employees who actually interact with the customers 90% of the time. They have great input.
    -Please stop with the suits that look like they were worn in the 1960s, I understand the type of people who shop here. But even they get tired of seeing the same style of clothing. Switch it up, you'll bring in more types of customers which equals more money.
    -if you're going to have the sales draw scheme, at least boost the percentage of commission. 6% isn't going to cut it for employees who work full time at non-busy stores. That is a joke. Nordstroms starts at 10% and 14% for dept. managers. (Hopefully MW changes it up)
    -As said before, stop with the buy 1, get a car free promos. It's draining to your employees.. And believe it or not.. Even the customers are dissatisfied at the way you decrease the value of the product with these promos. I'm sure they've figured it out by now. A suit that costs $1000 that's really $250 at best is not "getting them for free". Try again.

Company is rated 4th worse company to work for with good reason

Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The sole benefit of working for this company is the employee discount.

Cons

Jos. A. Banks pays minimum wage while expecting associates to meet inflated sales goals, do individual marketing over the phone, extensive merchandising and display responsibilities and work extended hours without benefits; The commission structure makes it impossible to receive any commission.

value your employees, reform your commission structure, and provide raises at appropriate intervals.