JoS. A. Bank

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.4

Doug Ewert

Pros
  • The sole benefit of working for this company is the employee discount (in 11 reviews)

• Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 33 reviews)

• No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Buy 1 suit, and get 3 suits, 2 shirts, a Lamborghini, a house, your college tuition FOR FREE!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Towson, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Only part I loved about this job was the coworkers. They usually feel the same as you, which means you just are able to work together, joke about the job, and have fun at the end of the day.
    -The discount was good too, except most times the customer can come in and get a better deal than the employee discount on some items. 2+ Promos every week, literally.

Cons

I could write a book about the "challenges" here, but I'll keep it simple...
    -The sales draw is a joke. At least for a company like this, where you can only break it during the holiday season... Unless you work at a flagship store where it is possible to break it some times outside the busy season, which I did, then I feel sorry for you.
    -Hmm, I don't have a family to really take care of so I can't even imagine...but still, no work/life balance. Don't expect to be off on Saturdays or Holidays. This place actually makes you come in on Thanksgiving. Who shops for suits on Thanksgiving? I thought so. Also, if you're full time, expect to work 50+ hours a week during busy time without notice.
    -Sales promos...In the words of Mike Ditka before Monday night football games.. "STOP IT!!!"
    -Big wigs... I barely met any, nor did I care to. But at least show appreciation for your sales associates and managers. There's no incentive for people to go out their way for this company. Employees have zero morale due to the way they are treated.
    -I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work for this company. It's that bad. So glad I'm not apart of this anymore.

-Listen to the employees who actually interact with the customers 90% of the time. They have great input.
    -Please stop with the suits that look like they were worn in the 1960s, I understand the type of people who shop here. But even they get tired of seeing the same style of clothing. Switch it up, you'll bring in more types of customers which equals more money.
    -if you're going to have the sales draw scheme, at least boost the percentage of commission. 6% isn't going to cut it for employees who work full time at non-busy stores. That is a joke. Nordstroms starts at 10% and 14% for dept. managers. (Hopefully MW changes it up)
    -As said before, stop with the buy 1, get a car free promos. It's draining to your employees.. And believe it or not.. Even the customers are dissatisfied at the way you decrease the value of the product with these promos. I'm sure they've figured it out by now. A suit that costs $1000 that's really $250 at best is not "getting them for free". Try again.

You can do better

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

80% off on suits and sports coats. Easy pay check if you have the right skills.

Cons

Constantly changing hours, incompetent store managers, no place to move up. Pay is crappy. The store managers there salary plus about 3% of all sales they make. The employees however get there hourly rate (which is low) and if you sell past a amount that is RIDICULOUSLY high, then you get a few bucks here and there. If you have ideas or mention a product is crap they will punish you and still make you sell it. You will not move up unless someone dies.

Your no longer the same store you use to be. Your quality of suits sucks. The store managers there salary plus about 3% of all sales they make. Start making quality suits, and stop being stingy on your pay rates. It's no wonder you are in the top 5 WORST EMPLOYERS to work for.

Asst mgr

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Fun to help gentlemen and give them style

Cons

Working on commission. Although it is easy to do. They are not fair about their UP system. If you're the sole provider commission is not this job for you

Company is rated 4th worse company to work for with good reason

Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The sole benefit of working for this company is the employee discount.

Cons

Jos. A. Banks pays minimum wage while expecting associates to meet inflated sales goals, do individual marketing over the phone, extensive merchandising and display responsibilities and work extended hours without benefits; The commission structure makes it impossible to receive any commission.

value your employees, reform your commission structure, and provide raises at appropriate intervals.

Not a bad start

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You have a great opportunity to quickly develop your skills (or fail). The company sure doesn't have a system to help you grow.

Cons

If I ran my store like corporate ran headquarters I would be fired. Good thing I have a pretty decent regional manager and team.

If you're not a strong leader and able to work without "back up" this isn't the place for you. If you like a challenge and developing a great team you'll have a good time most if the time. A lot of good changes are taking place.

Overall poor experience, couldn't wait to get out.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative In Call Center in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overtime... espeically during the holidays. Distant possibility of moving up.

Cons

work-life balance, understaffed, turnover rate, poor company culture, no training; communication between corporate, stores, and call center. Floating schedule (had to be available 7 days a week between 7 AM and 7 PM) and schedule wasn't made until Friday before the work week started.

Invest in your talent. Don't fire people the FIRST TIME their phone vibrates.

I've has bad jobs before but this is the pits! Stay away from this hellhole!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Livonia, MI

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about the job is clocking out. Other than that, it's that bad.

Cons

It's minimum wage unless you sell enough to go over that rate at six percent commission. Rational management is non-existent.

Get fair managers. Try fairness for all of employees. Get rid of the toxic work environment. Don't let managers have romantic relationships with salespeople. Don't let your top salespeople provoke and drum out your trainees. Give a realistic job description. When I asked anyone had been working at the store how long they had worked for the company the response was, "too long". That response was across the board and without exceptions. I kind of knew what I'd be in for after all of these like responses to my query.

Great customers, awful management

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautifully tailored clothing at great price points. With the right salesperson, a person could build a great wardrobe on a reasonable budget.

Cons

They seem to hire basically anyone who applies. This leads to having team members that view the job as a stop-gap as they seek other opportunities. The worst part is that if they fire a manager, they look at current (inept) staff to fill the position. Usually I support hiring from within, but in some cases, "new blood" is necessary.

Enter the case of my store manager. She does her best to NOT work, while slyly " reporting" enough hours to fulfil her salary requirement. She has the system figured out. She schedules herself for the "prime" hours based on the previous years metrics. She then hoards customers like a troll guarding a bridge. Then she leaves early, after basically wiping the sales floor with her employees faces.

Schedule changes without notifying employees happens at least twice a week. If you have a day off, you had better call in for the next days hours, or I guarantee you'll be "late".

If there's ever a customer complaint, you can count on your store manager to pin the blame on someone else. They dont take responsibility for ANYTHING, even if the complaint is clearly about them. It's always YOUR fault. They do np wrong, even if they come in with huge bags under their eyes from their "fun" the night before.

My store manager is a passive aggressive nightmare. She seems to view females as competition that she needs to defame and obliterate. She hires them, then she runs them off. All in all, she's nothing more than a bitter old lady with a huge jealousy issue. She also deliberately generates complaints against the female associates she dislikes, by contacting customers with a made-up issue with their order. I have personally witnessed her encouraging a customer to complain to corporate over a delivery issue that was out of the salesperson's hands.

Approaching the district manager will get you branded as a "troublemaker". Forget doing the right thing, and forget trying to do what's best for the customer. This company caters to weak "managers" that can't even manage their own lives. Beware working for this lecherous company.

Hire better managers

You will need to deal with a boatload of corporate BS to work a job that pays little more than a living wage.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice retail environment ~ a good place to get educated about men's fashion and all of the elements of professional tailoring. Excellent healthcare insurance if you can afford to pay for it on your pay scale.

Cons

Your work life will depend on how flexible and caring your manager is. Your manager is working for an annual bonus so the primary concern is sales vs. costs. You will be pushed to sell expensive and unneeded tailoring because that is the majority of the profit margin

Get a life and get off the back of your hourly employees. Your managers are the ones you should be dealing with on problems.

Horrible Company

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The actual work is enjoyable, the selling and fitting of suits, etc.

Cons

It's almost impossible to break the sales draw and earn commission. Have fun perpetually making minimum wage. Store managers come and go quickly, so there is very little stability at any given location. Regional managers send down almost impossible to make quotas for the store and get upset when they are not made. Also, you will be forced to make phone calls to customers telling them about upcoming sales, something that oh by the way takes you off the sales floor and makes making commission even harder.

Increase hourly, or keep minimum wage bud add small amount of commission in addition to.