JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Mar 17, 2014

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

Pros
  • Selling can be fun sometimes and you meet some great customers that make you feel important(in 11 reviews)

• Great product, great quality, coworkers are very hardworking and dedicated employees(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job'(in 31 reviews)

• 70 to 80% of the Stores employees DO NOT MAKE COMMISSION week in and week out(in 19 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

fair

Management (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosif you are in management ,thats a fixed good income

Consneed more advanced system and to be more organized

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more to sales associates

Job threatened daily. , Stone Age Field Leadership style from Senior executives

Store Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat product, great quality, coworkers are very hardworking and dedicated employees. Lots of loyal customers who have been shopping at stores for years

ConsJob is threatened daily, if results are not a achieved. The field leadership team is powerless to make any decision, unless it is approved by Senior Leader. Any feedback given will put you in the hot seat.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a thing Menswarehouse is buying the company, or else no one would be left working in the stores

Had expected more from such a giant in men's clothing.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsUpon my time within the company, I worked with an elder employee who was an Wikipedia
    on men's tailoring, he taught me a lot and gave me hope that a future was bright with this company. Great discount and company benefits.

ConsNo acknowledgement/gratitude for your hard work, your support personnel ( store managers) are not a strong leaders. Company demand long hours and very poor compensation ( base vs draw and many never make commission). The loss of good employees who just do not like the practices from within/ middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company does have some gem's that have been in the retail for some time, know a lot about marketing, sales, motivation , etc and enjoy what they do but, are very frustrated with not having a voice within the company. Get involved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not respecting your employees and trying to trick your customers is not a recipe for success.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe store has sales all the time. The only upside of working here is you will know which the best ones are, and will be able to time your purchases. Is that worth the low pay and work environment? No.

ConsIt is made clear to you early on that there are many potential employees out there, and you are worth little as an individual. There is no attempt to even hide this lack of respect. While all businesses need to make sure they are making a profit, there is a proper way to do it. Jos.A.Bank's method is to lie to its customers and trick them into doing paying for things they shouldn't have to.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management needs to reestablish control over store managers and regional managers. They need training in ethics in general, and maybe a seminar or two on how to respectfully deal with your employees would be nice as well.

Decent Place to Work

Sales Executive (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Co-workers are generally very friendly.
    - Flexible schedule.
    - Shoppers (mostly men) can be pleasant.
    - Convenient to public transportation.
    - Discount on tailoring.

Cons- Competitive (due to commission).
    - Small commission sales percentage.
    - Music (smooth jazz).
    - Boring when slow (it becomes "busy work" time).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I worked, there was one general manager and no "official" assistant managers. The manager was really overworked. I hope they found more people to help manage the business.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!