Job Corps Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
CEO

Pros
  • good benefits, helping disadvantaged students pursue their career goals (in 2 reviews)

• Many opportunities such as free food, housing, utilities, and occasionally clothing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is much favoritism and policies are not always followed by upper management (in 3 reviews)

• Staff are HEAVILY incompetent, at Edison Job corps they are worse there than any other of the 3 Job Corps Centers I've been too (in 2 reviews)

1. Great to work for when you have the right contractor and right staff

Former Employee - Career Transition Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Career Transition Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging but rewarding work, excellent team to work with, flexible schedules, and weekends are off.

Cons

Vacation time accrues slower than I would like. Can be thankless work at times.

2. medical assistant

Current Employee - Medical Office Support in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Office Support in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Job Corps (Less than a year)

Pros

it is a great opportunity for any person of the ages of 16/24 to get career training.

Cons

the only thing that is the con is you cant have criminal record to apply for the program.

3. Carpenter

Current Employee - Washington in Curlew, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Curlew, WA

I have been working at Job Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have on the job site experience

Cons

Not everyone got all on those projects out there sometimes which made it difficult to work but I stayed a team worker

Advice to Management

That everybody is getting the job done out there, sometimes people slack off and its a longer process

5. Health Service Manager

Former Employee - Medical and Health Services Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Medical and Health Services Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Improve the livelihood of under privileged young adults age 16 to 24. The focus was to provide education and skills for job training making health care available at no cost.

Cons

Not enough emphasis on bad behavior

6. Career Transitions Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medina, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medina, NY

I have been working at Job Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with youth and the job is always changing

Cons

Pushing statistical outcomes. Not a 9-5 job

Advice to Management

Strong time management is key

7. Student review.

Former Employee - Student in Yachats, OR
    Former Employee - Student in Yachats, OR

I worked at Job Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pro's of attending and graduating from Job Corps are numerous in variety as well as value, you'll retain and earn as much as you'd care to allow yourself to.

Cons

Student, staff, vocational as well as educational relationships and goals could very well be construed as entirely not worth it though I find and have found that if you put effort into something it's bound to benefit you even if, by chance, the experience is negative.

Advice to Management

It would behoove the management of Job Corps to ponder the fact that students may or may not be secretive of their formidable nature and mindset or at the least, the grand scale of it.

I Love the Stated Mission, but Toxic Environment is Reality

Former Employee - Substitute Instructor in Palmer, AK
    Former Employee - Substitute Instructor in Palmer, AK

I worked at Job Corps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice campus with beautiful location in Palmer, some wonderful and caring career instructors, promising if sometimes challenging students. If you want to make an impact on a young person's life, can tune out staff issues, and work-life balance isn't an issue, this is the place for you.

Cons

There is no training for the job, you learn as you go and this seems to be the norm for most positions here. You are pretty much on your own. Job Corps has many different and sometimes conflicting processes that come at you all at once. This wouldn't be a problem if I felt that any balls I dropped while in my learning curve were handled fairly and with me personally, rather than "telling on me" and giving other managers the impression I was incompetent. There is no process to address complaints, you're just guilty. High staff turnover, frustrated students. Toxic environment because management does not know how to resolve staff conflict or micro-manages. Undermining seems to be standard (since effective conflict resolution is non-existent) so you feel like you have to watch your back. If you are a salaried employee, 40 hour weeks are the MINIMUM, and there is a pressure within the culture that is a little shaming if you balk at more. A person feels as though they can never do enough. I have not run into any lazy people at Job Corps! In the ratings for Culture and Values, I love the stated culture and values of helping students and making a potential impact on young people's lives! My one star rating is how I feel about what the actual culture and values have become: a culture of fear for your job because of what someone has said about you that you cannot address head-on, and the values of watching your back instead of helping the students. Sad. There are some great people and students there, just making the best of the situation. The result of the existing culture is evident campus wide in low moral and staff leaving long-term positions in droves. If you try and talk about what the problems are, you are considered being "negative".

Advice to Management

The tone of the culture starts at the top with you. Either the management needs to be changed (removed), or they need to understand that when no one feels safe, people begin to protect themselves and the negativity continues to spiral staff moral downward. If staff doesn't feel safe, that feeling rolls down to the students. There needs to be an open forum to express personal or organizational dissatisfaction or staff will grumble and undermine between themselves and eventually leave, sometimes with guns blazing. Management needs to learn how to deal with the unpleasantness of human interaction to resolve conflict. The polite undermining employee can often be the most destructive. It's much easier in the short term to kill the messenger, but long term problem still exists. Also, management needs to figure out the reason for high staff turnover which is impart because of the pressure to do more hours because management will not hire more people, more bricks, less straw. The staff works HARD and cares, but burnout is a real phenomenon. Your staff is STRETCHED! It has become unsustainable; and it is costing you money and eventually your job.

Good to gain experience, not really the place to make a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the program there is rarely a dull moment, thanks to both staff and students, and there is always work if you like to keep busy, and every now and then there are opportunities to move up at your location, or to another one within the country.

Cons

Everything is numbers driven, and the students will try your patience. Also, staff members can be very cliquey, and will pass the blame on so that when DOL, or the contractor, comes around, they don't take the blame. Oh, and that is the biggest issue. You do not work for the Department of Labor, you work for either a contractor or sub-contractor. Meaning they aren't going to try to pay you too much, and will be all about the numbers and expect you to make sure they get them, while appeasing the students who can be very demanding.

Advice to Management

There is nothing management can do. As long as the program is under contractors, much less DOL, it will always be number driven. So really, outside of trying to provide more incentives to stay and deal with the constant headaches, there isn't much that can be done.

10. Gary Security training academy cadet

Current Employee - Security Officer/Corrections Officer in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer/Corrections Officer in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Job Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and housing, training is pretty thorough and you get to go to the firing range

Cons

the medical staff seem disinterested in truly helping the students

Advice to Management

screen employees for sincerity of helping others.

11. Food Services

I worked at Job Corps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cleaning Seriving food Working the cashiers storeing food managering

Cons

cooking cleaning storing food taking orders

Advice to Management

N/A

RSS Feed </> Embed