Job Lot

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marc Perlman

My fellow employees and new managers are the only reason I keep going back.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Berlin, CT

I worked at Job Lot part-time for more than a year

ProsMy fellow co-workers dislike most of the customers as much as I do so we get along well talking about that and our lives when it's slow. They are all very helpful and will make sure you do well ringing, just be sure to ask all the questions you have. Also, I really like the ringing speeds being posted because a little competition is fun.

ConsA lot of the customers will come and look down on us or treat us worse than they would if we worked at say a Target because we do sell things at a discount. They also really like to try and say something was marked lower than it actually is or try and get more of a discount on a "damaged good".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the positive reinforcement and good luck in the new store. Also, corporate should really work on a new ad campaign.

Growing company but hard to advance. It's a great place to start and get your feet in the door.

Allocation Analyst (Former Employee)
North Kingstown, RI

I worked at Job Lot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat team, great people. You'll get a sense of job security. Good benefits. Management for allocations has great leaders and are great supporters of the team. Overall, team effort is emphasized and encouraged.

ConsIt's hard to advance. They don't have any formal training or program in place to get their employees to the next level. Their systems need to be updated and IT dept needs major improvements. When you have any type of system issues, it's hard to get it addressed right away.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in better tools to help employees do a better job. Ex, update systems to industry standards. Need to standardize processes to operate more efficiently.

I hate it

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Wakefield, RI

I have been working at Job Lot part-time for more than a year

ProsThe coworkers aren't bad. That's about it.

ConsCustomers suck, managers don't give you anything to do when it's not busy, hours kinda suck, manager likes to bust balls. Really it just sucks working here and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive cashiers something to do in the front end. When someone asks for some day shifts give them some. Stop picking on employees for everything. Offer a better work environment.

Store management in several stores.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Job Lot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot many pro'.I had the opportunity to train and develop many associates who went on to be ASMs or Store Managers.

ConsLimited merchandising.Upper management would not listen to merchandising of new items.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your Store managers to merchadise to the customer base for their store.

Job Lot

Customer Services (Former Employee)
Walpole, NH

I worked at Job Lot full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExperience. You can get good experience. Specially, if you go sleep with managers.

ConsPeople's culture. I was very hard to deal with discrimination

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Opportunities for good people

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Job Lot part-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing company, although mostly a part time workforce - have seen many employees promoted and given more hours, benefits

ConsMost employees are PT, there are opportunities to go full time but you have,to really work hard and get noticed to go ahead

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough owners are nice people, their message gets lost in translation. They do great things for charity, they care about people but their upper management might not be passing the message correctly.

Company policies are iffy, but a decent experience overall

Cashier (Current Employee)
Ballston Spa, NY

I have been working at Job Lot part-time

ProsFairly decent pay (a dollar over minimum wage in my area), have very little problem getting the days off I need, decent length shifts and a fairly steady schedule, job is not too stressful

ConsPOS systems are over 20 years old and barely work, breaks times are far too short (10 minutes, but this includes walking to/from break room when customers can still approach you, often making the break hardly 7 or 8 minutes), doesn't hire for full-time or give any benefits to part-time employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to letting us punch in/out for breaks as well as meals so we don't end up with 8-minute breaks; pay for new registers/equipment after a decade or two

Department Head

Department Head (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

I have been working at Job Lot full-time for more than a year

Prosrecently came to the country

ConsBad wage, I was working in sections and register at the same time, supervisor calling me to the register every 10 minutes, bad points system, no benefits except 15% store discount. Low prices attract very pure uneducated people, like pensioners, unemployed people, SNAP card holders. If you can't speak Redneck or Yankee English - sometimes I can't understand them. Deliveries are without system, lot's of stuff that store doesn't need or have a lot. Employees don't have medical insurance first year, just before starting 1st year you wouldn't need insurance, you will have 40 points and will go home. Company economies money and don't pay overnight, overnight team starting 5:00 a.m. Just two 10 minutes breaks and one 30 minutes break if you're working full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't want to advise managers of bad company. I don't want this company be better.

Love, Hate

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Job Lot full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome perks are the people, the bonuses, the medical, the discount and the job stability.

Conspay rate is low, employee recognition isn't as good as it could be. It's a huge place (the warehouse) and should have employee recognition by department, I think. We have temps and some have been with us for many years (on and off) and are excellent workers and should have been hired long ago. I don't know how they chose people they hire, but the ones who get hired are usually useless. But they MIGHT have been good temps...see "advice to management" this could explain the lethargy in workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a policy, enforce it. Across the board. Too much "turning the other way" is going on and is causing rivalry between associates. How many signs there are not to do this or that and yet people do this and that anyway and no one says anything about it. Its carelessness from top down.

Love co-workers and job, not happy with corporate policy.

Customer Service Representative - Front End Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Job Lot part-time for more than a year

ProsStarting pay is higher than other stores in the area, very accommodating with scheduling needs, generous employee discount. Benefits to full time/salaried employees (after 1 year). It can be a very fun work environment.

ConsSadly, Job Lot is no longer hiring to fill full time positions in their stores. There are no health benefits, vacation or sick time for part timers. Every employee is constantly under video surveillance in every corner of the store but the bathroom, and worse of all, there is a point system that is demoralizing and keeps the door revolving by dismissing good employees for such small infractions as missing a clock punch. Management is constantly having to deal with being forced to cut hours, while hourly employees cannot depend on a set number of hours. Prospects for career opportunities in the store setting are slim, as salaried/full time assistant manager positions are being replaced/filled by part time keyholder positions for less pay with no benefits. Layoffs are standard operating procedure after the holiday season.

Advice to Senior ManagementProductivity, sales and moral would be so much better, if employees were only provide a living wage with benefits, better opportunities for advancement and given job security.

Worked for Job Lot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Job Lot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Job Lot CEO Marc Perlman. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Job Lot employees.