Job News

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.9

Michael Talbott

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Major Account Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Major Account Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Job News full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to utilize the skills I learned throughout my career & learn some new ones. The people were great, I enjoyed my time there [3 yrs]. Great time off/holiday policy!

Cons

Some days can be long - cubicle environment....

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Job News full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have expanded my skill sets and my experience here. My supervisor was great! Patient, kind, delegated tasks appropriately, always had time for me.

Cons

Wages are not exactly competitive and some coworkers consistently acted unprofessionally.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Job News full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Regional Vice President, opportunities to make great money

Cons

Office culture different in each market. Training process could be upgraded.

There is no micro-managing, they promote to work independently once you are appropriately trained.

Don't waste your time!

Former Employee - Major Account Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Major Account Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Job News full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Monday-Friday work week, 8-5.

Cons

MICRO MANAGED to the max!! Tulsa's office has a revolving door. Don't waste your time!! You will regret it! Verbally abused and bullied by coworker until I finally quit!

Never put your eggs all in one basket. The verbal abuse & bullying needs to stop! Management start listening!

Terrible workplace. Treated like a child rather than a professional with experience & education. Poor work-life balance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Job News full-time

Pros

Great clients! Good product, needed product, but methodology of call center selling is mundane, limited, and outdated.

Cons

Deemed as outside sales, but sales managers are not given autonomy and respect to manage their own time or do the job in the best possible ways. Really just a call-center and clients despise call centers. Unproductive method of selling.

Treat outside sales managers with respect, foster the client/sales rep relationship and relationship building with community leaders and business will absolutely grow. Treat your sales managers like children, do not foster the idea of client relations outside of cold-calls, manage their time, rather than allowing them autonomy to do the job successfully, and all you have is a call center with extremely minimal results.

Job News is OK

Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Job News full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Hours, lots of time off, great people in most offices. Management is always willing to help.
    Competitive pay structure, Job Fairs are a great incentive to staff to make money and contacts.

Cons

Intercompany politics and poorly defined territories. Advertising in print is a dying industry, the company could and should focus on more high tech solutions.

Create a test work from home environment forthe employees. Too much money is spent on offices.

Commission structure misleading- 50 to 70 phone cold calls a day- not a fun environment

Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Job News full-time (less than an year)

Pros

kind and understanding manager - helpful teammates

Cons

all work no fun, very dry, makes for long days - takes long time before start making commission

understand ramp up time necessary to be successful - instill more fun in day

Can be a fun place to work, but it depends on the city you work in. Some cities are good, but others...

I have been working at Job News

Pros

Everyobody in the company knows who you are and are normally friendly.

Cons

Many customers do not know who you are.

Get rid of the deadwood faster. They allow too many poor performers to stay too long.

Fine if you are desperate.

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Job News

Pros

They hire people right out of college with little or no experience. Especially in the production/design department, that is rare to find in other companies. Management is flexible in giving time off or changing your schedule to accommodate second jobs, school schedules, family issues, etc.

Cons

The pay is poor and the raises promises are taken away if the company isn't doing well. The graphics department is the least acknowledged, least rewarded department in the company. Management is incompetent, unreasonable, sketchy, and generally apathetic to the genuine concerns of the employees. Bad behavior and dishonest actions by middle management is allowed by upper management simply because its easier to ignore it than to deal with it. Ridiculous, immature behavior from employees is catered to. Those employees that work hard, are honest, professional, and dependable are not rewarded and seldom acknowledged.

The major problem with this company is the wrong people holding management positions.

Great Product Mix

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Job News full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job News sells recruitment advertising and you can sell pretty much any product, from digital to print to Job Fairs to broadcast. The hours are not demanding, you can work as little as 36 hours, or as many as you want.

Cons

It is a real sales organization, so if you don't want to do sales, this is not the company for you.

Keep promoting from within (which they do pretty well). Also, "Service Center" can be poor on the service aspect, this could definitely use some improvement.