Jobs for the Future Reviews

2.7
Marlene B. Seltzer

1. Great experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Jobs for the Future as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy and relaxed atmosphere, people often came in to work later in the day and left early, there were many office parties, and team building exercises like trips islands around Boston. Great experience for internships and such for younger hires. Solid entry level salary at 50k

Cons

People move rather slowly but they are thorough, ironically it is hard to move up without a Masters here

2. Great work, not so great internal culture

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is grest and working with external partners has been rewarding. There is flexibility here and an entrepreneurial spirit that is exciting. There are, however, different rules for different people so you have to figure out where you fit in.

Cons

The challenges are the internal staff. Nepotism is rampant and there is blatant favoritism. People in senior management positions do not have the skills to do their jobs, so there is mismanagement and a lack of leadership and vision, which has led, in my opinion, to an internal culture that is highly toxic. I try to keep out of the office as much as I can, and schedule client/partner meetings when I can. It's the way I make it work for me.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to begin because management is a problem across the board. It's almost like they need to start from scratch. I guess I would say to police the nepotism and weed out senior management staff who are incompetent. Morale is low and I know many good people who are looking elsewhere.

3. Extremely Dysfunctional Organization with an Excellent Mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to travel Networking Promotions/salary increases Opportunity to publish True commitment to mission

Cons

Amazingly high turnover (print the staff list today & check again in 6 months, you'll see) Poor work-life balance Nepotism is out of this world Top-heavy management Poor accountability/passing the buck Culture encourages overworking

Advice to Management

Consider whether or not you're the best person for your own job. If you're a terrible manager, don't manage people. If you have no interest in meeting deadlines, allow your employees more latitude to do the work. And for pete's sake, stop firing people who actually do the work and put certain long-term employees on performance improvement plans. JFF is like a roach. No matter what happens, how budgets get screwed up, it will survive. For the record, that's not 100% complimentary.

5. I felt very respected by the staff.

I worked at Jobs for the Future as an intern

Pros

People seemed to like each other and there was a strong sense of mission.

Cons

It was an intense environment and people worked very hard.

6. Jobs for the Limited Future

Former Employee - Program Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries Ability to travel all of the US Most people knowledgeable about their work The mission

Cons

The senior management Poor career pathways Top-heavy salary and management structure Extremely disorganized as an organization Did I mention senior management?

Advice to Management

Stop handsomely rewarding yourselves for a job that is not done. Not meeting the requirements of funders and stakeholders and not taking responsibility at the senior level is unacceptable. Stop terminating lower-level employees and take a look in the mirror if you want to know why the organization is failing. Finally, quit gifting yourselves with 5-figure bonuses. . Que diablo!

7. Poor use of resources and poor management

Pros

Flexible schedules, good benefits, good pay, good mission

Cons

Does not use funds well--senior management is in some cases very poor. People are promoted to management positions without having any human management experience, just project management. As a result, there are some really bad mangers who cannot work with other people, and no work is done to correct or develop these people as managers.

8. Great mission with lack of focus

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time

Pros

Smart and dedicated employees, great employee benefits.

Cons

Poor work / life balance and management

Advice to Management

Accept change

9. The overall experience was awful.

Former Employee - Human Resources Administrator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Administrator in Boston, MA

Pros

The company has Great benefits.

Cons

Management are very political and have not respect for the regular employees.

Advice to Management

Management should be fair to all employees regarless of their position.

10. Outstanding Company Mission, ineffectual senior leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The company mission the passion of the employees for the work being done

Cons

Senior Leadership is completely out-of-touch with the rest of the employees Senior Leadership salaries grow while the rest of the employees salaries are stagnant

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership needs to connect and listen to employees Senior Leadership needs to worry less about their salaries and more about the financial "health" of the employees

RSS Feed </> Embed