Joe's Crab Shack

Updated September 6, 2014
3.1

Joe's Crab Shack CEO Ray Blanchette
Ray Blanchette

Pros
  • Great people always working as a team and full of positive energy (in 7 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, good clientele, decent tips, fun co workers and management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, even with nine hour shifts (in 3 reviews)

• In the winter no one goes out to eat at Joes (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun to work at.

Current Employee - Hostess  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Hostess in Houston, TX

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for more than a year

Pros

Half off food and get to dance at work.

Cons

Managers weren't on same page.

Get on the same page!

Joe's Crab Shack

Current Employee - Host/Server/Bartender  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Host/Server/Bartender in Austin, TX

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with great people
    Typical serving job

Cons

When slow season hit it is hard
    Managers have to swipe card for everything (logging in, splitting checks, ect)

Fun and decent money, but catty, unorganized and unreliable.

Current Employee - Server  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Working at Joe's as a server you do have the potential to make pretty good tips. Average in slow season here in AZ is about 95 in one shift. The atmosphere is laid back, the uniform is a t shirt and jeans, and FOH staff dances every so often which is actually pretty fun and a nice break from the hustle and bustle of thing. I am lucky that the management (at least for right now) is fairly good and works with us to compensate for mistakes. My managers are always willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy and it rarely affects how they look at me as a server. Hot schedules is very convenient as well.

Cons

The corporate team, as almost everyone else has mentioned is awful. They only care about money and themselves and Joe's is such a big company, you are just a number to them. My first day on this job (and my first day serving EVER) I had to work a double (ended up being 10 hours in all) with NO break. We were allowed to put in something to eat if we wanted to pay for it and eat on the fly in the back. You never know how long you'll be there for and sometimes don't even know you've been cut. The system seems to have no rhyme or reason. The food is expensive and sometimes people will leave small tips because of this...but that's life. Tipshare is also ridiculous. The computer system does it automatically and you end up giving a pretty good percentage to the hosts (who get paid over twice as much what servers get hourly) and the bartenders (who double as servers and make tips of their own). I also don't like the (opening and closing server) deal. Seems the same few servers are always the ones to close and you have to do pretty in depth side work and then get checked off by a BOH and FOH closing server before you can go. I've waited at the restaurant for over 2 hours after being cut before waiting for them to make sure my work was done. The closers at my location seem to think they are above everyone else .... Like we all don't have the same job. The idea of having a billion managers that are never on the same page isn't that great either. Lastly, we only have an expo on busy weekends so during the lunch or weekdays not only do we have to wait tables, bus them, dance, write on bibs, do side work, but also we have be our own expo, bump our own tickets, make all of our own salads and desserts.... I mean we aren't superhuman here and it compromises the experiences of the guests.

Not like they care or will change anything based on what we have to say....but FYI it is illegal in many states to work more than 8 hours without a break. Stop being so money hungry and pay attention to the requests of the thousands of people, like myself, who make it possible for you to drive your fancy cars and live in your huge homes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Server

Former Employee - Server  in  Lawrenceville, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, NJ

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for less than a year

Pros

The money here is great, you don't make an actual salary but because it has a higher ppm you can make great tips. it is a very fun atmosphere, and while at times you'll feel a little foolish with the dancing, you'll make friends there at all ages and will have fun doing it together. I did not use the health insurance offered, but Joe's does offer benefits for its employees and meal plans which is great. My managers personally were great, and I feel like this is a common theme in this chain. The food here is fresh and the kitchen is clean, and this is a place I was proud to work for.

Cons

Can be difficult scheduling work, you do have to work a lot of hours and on weekends, and it can be a very stressful atmosphere when it's busy.

BEST PLACE TO LEARN HIGH VOLUME SERVICE AS A CHAIN, I HAVE WORKED AT 4 DIFFERENT LOCATIONS!!!

Current Employee - Server/Bartender  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is an awesome place to work at. I have work off and on at different locations across the nation. The management at every location is stellar with coaching for how to sell, what it means if you sell more=more money for you, and drive you to succeed with weekly and monthly sales contest.

Cons

Other than smelling like crab at the end of the night non out of the ordinary for any service industry job

Continue promoting success based on numbers.

Good pay for servers in a relaxed restaurant environment

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tips are good in comparison to other casual restaurants.
    You get to wear a t-shirt and jeans to work.
    Generally attracts easy-going employees making the work environment much more enjoyable than most.
    Patrons are typically lively and in a good mood.

Cons

Management picks a select few of servers to be "openers and closers". This means that this small group of individuals always get the best shifts, largest table sections, and is responsible for checking out other servers for end-of-shift duties.
    For locations with dining patios, servers who are scheduled in a patio section are highly reliant on weather conditions. During summer it was typical for a server to wait 2 hours to either be sat or sent home.

Overall the restaurant is well run. The only suggestion would be to deter floor supervisors from giving special treatment to their friends while working (i.e. always cutting their friend's section first on a slow night, allowing them to skip out on concept).

So much fun!!

Former Employee - Server  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun atmosphere, good clientele, decent tips, fun co workers and management

Cons

lots of cleaning, some down time, cant depend on &&

Offer benefits to the part time staff!! a lot of us have families to support.

Casual Shack

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack full-time

Pros

Awesome staff, Great atmosphere, Coworkers Rock!

Cons

None, The place is well maintained, friendly and fun. no cons to the job

The dirtiest kitchen I've ever worked in.

Former Employee - Line Cook  in  Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Independence, MO

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees were all friendly and outgoing for the most part.

Cons

They are very disorganized,absolutely no team work,and no communication skills. They don't schedule their employees with an out time to where you can plan anything.

Far Too Corporate

Former Employee - Server  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack part-time for less than a year

Pros

They do give you plenty of information about the food you're selling. That is honestly the only pro I can think of, this was a horrible place to work. I guess having access to scheduling online was a nice convenience though, so there's that.

Cons

At least at the restaurant I worked at the pressure to "stick to the script" was just insane, they essentially wanted their servers to just be robots shuffling food back and forth, not my kind of work environment. There was also a huge overstaffing issue at my location, servers literally had sections of only two tables making it impossible to make a decent amount of money on any shift. The GM at my location seemed alright but all the other managers were woefully incompetent. You also needed a manager to come swipe their key car to do ANYTHING on a check, even to simply split a check, incredibly time consuming and speaks of a lack of trust for employees. Also the dancing, was not a fan of that.

Allow for some more individuality among employees. More rigid screening process for managers (i.e. if they've been fired from several other restaurants maybe they're not the best choice to hire)

Joe's Crab Shack Photos

Joe

+ Add Photo

Worked for Joe's Crab Shack? Contribute to the Community!