Joe's Crab Shack

Updated December 8, 2014
2.8

Joe's Crab Shack CEO Ray Blanchette
Ray Blanchette

Pros
  • Fun to work with, willing to help each other (in 6 reviews)

• Get to meet a lot of great people - fellow employees and customers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We work long hours and work hard only to be criticized (in 5 reviews)

• No breaks, even with nine hour shifts (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Eat at Joe's

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Tasty, good food, free food, food

Cons

Smelly, not good pay, no insurance, blah

Keepa closer wathc on employees

Don't Knock It 'Til You Try It!!

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Brick, NJ
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Brick, NJ

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack (more than an year)

Pros

The people that this chain hires are normally great and really fun to work with. I have been to a few different stores to work in NJ and have met people from dozens of other stores in other states. Great Discounts and fringe benefits. Easy to move up and get involved. Always get face time with management and regional directors.

Cons

Although it is easy to move up, it is sort of like planned obsolescence. They promote you and use you until you do what they need and that is about it. If you really want to move up you have to speak up! Also, you may get face time with people in control of the company and store, but your input doesn't change much. My coworkers and I tried to make common sense changes that were permitted, but apparently unwanted by management.

Listen to your staff. If they are not happy, you will not be either. When you have a 21st century and highly profitable company making millions - if not billions - and they supply your store with walkies, ipads, and expensive programs ... USE THEM. Communication in a strained large restaurant would alleviate the need for excessive workers on the floor and free up managers so they can tend to the customers and DO THEIR JOBS.

Working at Joes Crab Shack taught me how to work in a fast paced environment, customer service skills, and patience.

Former Employee - Server in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is based on tips. So, the better service you give to guests, the higher your daily earnings will be.

Cons

Sometimes your work goes unrecognized. There are times that a server gives great service and the tips will not reflect your work. Also, some guests are extremely difficult to please and many scheme to get out of paying for their meals.

Listen to your employees. Happy employees...great service....happy guests....higher sales.

Good pay for part time, management is terrible- will make your life terrible.

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Great money, serving on weekends paid my way through college. Great coworkers. Honestly not as hard as working for corporations like Darden (where you make your own salads/ desserts and food is so cheap that tips suck). You get to wear jeans and a tshirt to work which is pretty casual.

Cons

Management is terrible. In the 2 years I worked there, the restaurant went through 5 GMs and each time, all the management under them also changed. No regard for schedule restrictions/ requests off. You have to dance all the time (it's a con when it's all the time).

Management keeps hiring/ firing servers and cooks when the problem is management. More so, upper management. Stop reducing the portions you give customers and increasing the prices and you won't have as many customer complaints to blame on the serving staff.

Nor

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Good people
    happy kitchen
    happy life
    very nice place to work
    I have a lot of experience
    I feel like I can do anything

Cons

You get fat
    I'm just writing a bs review to look at things on glass door lol

Norhing

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people, decent food. Good discounts.

Cons

Corporate doesn't know what is going on in the restaurants.

Corporate should work in the stores

Terrible

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have good employee discounts.

Cons

If you are older, overweight or not classically good-looking, you won't get in.

Your food is good, sell that, not t-shirts, not enrollment in emails, just your food. Realize older people make awesome employees

Wairer

Current Employee - Waiter
    Current Employee - Waiter

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to work weekly schedule

Cons

Low wages and no benefits

Provide some health care benefits

Very stressful when it shouldn't be.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+The front of house and back of house staff are some of the most fun and interesting people I have met at a job

+Check average is decent which can lead to a decent tip.

+Busy nights have the potential to net you $150+ on a dinner shift.

Cons

+Long hours while understaffed can lead to no breaks on certain days.

+Horrible, horrible communication between management and the rest of the staff.

+Managers care about nothing besides making money. Only goal is to have us push promo items and drinks on customers. Make you feel like a failure when the guests don't bite.

+As servers we've had to wash our own dishes more times than I can count the because we "didn't have it in the budget" for a dishwasher on many days.

+Managers don't recognize hard work and only criticize the bad they see.

+The clientele this place attracts is not always the most enjoyable crowd. MANY poor tippers even with excellent service.

+Managers will always pick the customer over the employee.

+Way too many steps of service that it is easy to become weeded even with a 3 or 4 table section.

Create a more structured work environment. Learn to communicate because it is the biggest reason we fail. Set more realistic goals. When we fail to meet contest percentages, it is most likely because the guests don't want them!

Host

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

I made a few good friends. Great pay in the summer. When the restaurant makes money the managers seem more happy. There's always fries to eat at the window. The clientele is pretty good they typically leave happy and entertained.

Cons

Awful management, you have to pay for your discount which is odd to me, and kitchen is always behind....even on slow days. The dancing gets annoying after awhile. And if I have to hold that stupid door for guests one more time I might scream.

Stop being so snooty. You're not better than anyone.

Joe's Crab Shack Photos