Joe's Crab Shack
www.igniterestaurants.com Houston, TX 5000+ Employees

Joe's Crab Shack Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014
Joe's Crab Shack – US – “Joe”

Joe's Crab Shack CEO Ray Blanchette

Ray Blanchette

Pros:
  • "Great people always working as a team and full of positive energy"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Fun atmosphere, worked with great people, Moose was an awesome manager, opportunities for advancement, Hot Schedules is incredibly useful"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No breaks, even with nine hour shifts"
    in 3 reviews
  • "If you open, especially if you're a host, you can find yourself only working for 3-4 hours"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun and upbeat

Server (Former Employee)
    Saint Peters, MO

ProsVery fun and cool environment. If you like to dance then this job is perfect for you. Management is laid back and understanding. The people that work with you are very welcoming as well. It is a fast paced job, so if you like to stay busy then this is perfect.

ConsIn the winter no one goes out to eat at Joes. A typical winter weekend it might get a little busy around 7 PM but it will slow down by 8 or 9. A lot of servers, hostess, cooks, and bartenders will get cut very early. Tips can be hard to make in the winter. Plus driving to the job at 6 PM and having to leave by 7 PM is frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can over staff at times when there is little or no need for an overload of staff. If you are in the restaurant business you know weekends are busy, so as long as you don't request off 3 weekends in a row the management is very understanding.

Good pay, terrible corporation.

Server (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsBeing a waitress is rewarding for more then one reason. (Money mostly)

ConsManagement sucks, the corporation has unrealistic goals of each store to consistently do, in return management cracks down on servers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to pull there heads of out their butt, quit making everything so strict and stop forcing things on us that don't work.

Not the worst, but not the best

Hostess (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsI liked working there for the most part. I would be stressful at time because we were extremely understaffed, but overall I liked it.

ConsUnderstaffed for sure, once we were fully staffed people would quit or get fired. When a restaurant is understaffed everyone suffers, management, employees, and customers. When customers have to wait and half the restaurant is empty, hosts get all the negative backlash.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff and get rid of the negative employees. It is suppose to be a fun, happy atmosphere and having sub-par employees with crap attitudes ruin any positive and hardworking ones you get, I should know I was one of them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a lesson in humility

Lead Server (Former Employee)
    Kemah, TX

ProsYou will remain busy and meet many interesting people.

ConsThrow out the Texas Labor Laws here. You will be expected to work over 40 hours a week and not report it. You will be expected to work off the clock. You will not get breaks, you may not even get a lunch. When you lunch on the clock, you are expected to leave your food outside on a railing where seagulls pick at it constantly. The manager sits and watches, then he remains seated and keeps watching. The assistant manager talks about her diet pills all the time and is prone to outbursts in from of customers. How this place survives... Oh wait, it didn't. Still same management at the rebranded Bubba Gumps. Go to Cadillac Bar next door and keep your sanity

Working at Joes

Prosit is a very fun environment

Consthis job has a negative effect on personal growth

Advice to Senior Managementtreat the majority of employees like they are easily replaceable

Joe's Crab Shack

Flex Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAble to move cross-country due to so many locations nation wide.

ConsHours can be long. One week in advance schedules.

Great company to work for

ProsManagement is very attentive to employee needs

ConsI have no cons to offer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

For a serving position, it is very good.

Server (Current Employee)
    Clifton, NJ

ProsThe money is very good, the atmosphere is lighter than other restaurants, and management will have your back when push comes to shove with the customers. You have to dance once an hour or so, but it provides a nice mental break.

ConsYou go home smelling like crabs every night, the hours are long, and management doesn't seem to care about scheduling you obscene amounts of hours. On more than one occasion, I have worked over 40 hours in three days.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of team members' schedules.

Just an ordinary, mediocre company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFree food. Reasonably flexible hours.

ConsLack of communication among departments at the home office makes it a challenging environment. The President of Joe's is terribly arrogant and is unwilling to listen to anyone who's not a yes-man. He often reacts like a spoiled 8 year old. There are some talented people on board but they are often ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization's culture matters, but you do nothing to inspire your workers. "Pajama day" isn't the right way to drive the culture you want. Allow talented people to use their skills.

Great People

Server (Former Employee)
    Sandy, UT

ProsAmazing Co workers, fun atmosphere, higher prices which give you a better chance at making higher tips, and friends and family get discounted food rates when they dine with you. It is an energetic, fun, atmosphere where you have to be at least a little insane to be successful. I had more fun working there than any other place I've served. We all called ourselves one big great dysfunctional family.

ConsThe management. I have never been cut down or screamed at so much in my life. They literally throw things and slam things on counters when they are angry. They lock themselves in there office and tell you to do stuff that is beyond your job description when you don't have tables while being paid $2.13 an hour. When the higher ups come a long they are all rainbows and butterflies, the second they leave the beast comes back out.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be nicer to your servers. They have feelings too. I loved working there but have been deeply hurt by some of the things that were said to me. There is also a bit of sexual harassment that goes on so if you could quit touching your servers and saying inappropriate things that would be great. Just because servers are friends and hug or hold hands it's not okay for a manager to do that.

Worked for Joe's Crab Shack? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Joe's Crab Shack reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Joe's Crab Shack CEO Ray Blanchette. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by Joe's Crab Shack employees.