Joe's Crab Shack

Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Joe's Crab Shack CEO Ray Blanchette
Ray Blanchette

Pros
  • Fun to work with, willing to help each other (in 6 reviews)

• Get to meet a lot of great people - fellow employees and customers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We work long hours and work hard only to be criticized (in 5 reviews)

• No breaks, even with nine hour shifts (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

a little stressful at times but have a great team to back you up

Current Employee - Bartender in Riverhead, NY
    Current Employee - Bartender in Riverhead, NY

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

get to work with your friends, and make some good money

Cons

unorganized at times, miscommunication, not always prepared

pretty good

A mixed bag of experiences

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, OK

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Great pay, evolving company that grants a lot of out of box thinking to its managers.

Cons

Slow repercussions for poor management performance. Regional manager have an almost God like control over regions with little cooperate influence

Spend more time with your management staff to discover true talents and commitmented people.

You gotta be crazy

Current Employee - Manager in North East, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in North East, PA

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay well to try to maintain managers..

Cons

Even managers they shouldn't keep. Communication, both to little and too much. Always changing something, and they don't communicate with enough information to be totally prepared. ie; which products are eliminated. Some yes, but not all, thus, excessive amount of unused inventory.

Rank does not have it's privileges.

True customer service

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Duluth, GA

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

The food, customers, and leadership

Cons

No cons they have made improvement

A typical serving job, great for first-time servers but leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy, uncomplicated work for a potentially great pay-off. It's nice to work five hours and walk out with over a hundred bucks in cash. Casual uniform, fun dancing, and good food. Young atmosphere, and a laid-back work environment, it's a great job for students/post-graduate easy job.

Cons

Almost impossible to move forward in the company. I was hired with the intention to become a bartender, but after 10+ months there has still been no mention of becoming a bartender. I was also approached on becoming my store's Brand Ambassador, but nothing became of it, even though I expressed extreme interest and actively pursued the option for months.
    Also, the chain is becoming more like a diner and less like a restaurant. With the constant "monday-thursday" specials/two-dollar-tuesdays/happy hour/cheaper lunch menus, it's easy for your per-person-average cost to be less than $15, leading to low total tabs, small tips, and cheap customers. This is opposed by the constant pressure from management to push contest items, have a >$30 PPA, etc. These figures can dictate which shifts you are scheduled for, when you are cut, how many hours you work a week etc. This is unfair and almost impossible to achieve, especially if you work lunch shifts during the week.

Be more understanding that if a server works mostly lunch shifts, their LBW% and PPA will not be as high as those working a weekend night. Stop adding so many cheaper plate "specials" (Two-dollar-Tuesdays, Mon-Thurs Family Fish Fry), it makes it much harder for the servers to make money. Make sure you have a designated dish-washer (preferably for all shifts, but definitely on the weekend, come on now).

Great Benefits

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Dancing, easy side work, great tips

Cons

Bad corporate mentality, don't stand behind employees fairly

Eat at Joe's

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Tasty, good food, free food, food

Cons

Smelly, not good pay, no insurance, blah

Keepa closer wathc on employees

Don't Knock It 'Til You Try It!!

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Brick, NJ
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Brick, NJ

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack (more than a year)

Pros

The people that this chain hires are normally great and really fun to work with. I have been to a few different stores to work in NJ and have met people from dozens of other stores in other states. Great Discounts and fringe benefits. Easy to move up and get involved. Always get face time with management and regional directors.

Cons

Although it is easy to move up, it is sort of like planned obsolescence. They promote you and use you until you do what they need and that is about it. If you really want to move up you have to speak up! Also, you may get face time with people in control of the company and store, but your input doesn't change much. My coworkers and I tried to make common sense changes that were permitted, but apparently unwanted by management.

Listen to your staff. If they are not happy, you will not be either. When you have a 21st century and highly profitable company making millions - if not billions - and they supply your store with walkies, ipads, and expensive programs ... USE THEM. Communication in a strained large restaurant would alleviate the need for excessive workers on the floor and free up managers so they can tend to the customers and DO THEIR JOBS.

Definitely better jobs

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

Laid back atmosphere (sort of), menu is easy to learn, job attracts a pretty cool type of co-worker for the most part. Larger tabs for the most part so if you're even semi-competent and earn a 15% tip, you should make decent money per table (caveat to this point in the cons section).

Cons

I've worked here two years, and this place has really started to go downhill--especially over the last six months. From what I've gathered by talking to managers/seeing the constant barrage of new items they're trying out or promotions they're running, it feels like they are barely holding their head above water. The customer base is dwindling rapidly--we are probably serving about 1/2 to 3/4 the number of customers as when I first started, and we have been on 2 waits over the last 4-5 months, and those were just because of graduation ceremonies when we had many large parties to accommodate. Upper management is constantly berating all of the store management for very, very minor things which leads to the store management following suit to their staff. The customer is "always right", even those that are clearly just looking for a free meal, and oftentimes you will find the management blaming you for things that weren't your fault, therefore killing any chance you had at a tip.

If I hadn't been moved up to bartender, I would have been out of there long ago since there just aren't enough customers coming in for me to be able to pay rent without the extra bar-top regulars and tipshare checks I get.

The training hardly existent. When I started bartending, they literally handed me a handbook and said "Hey, your first bar shift is Wednesday morning". They didn't hand me a drink recipe book, never had me work under an experienced bartender just...threw me to the wolves.

No communication-I can't tell you how many times I've come back from my two days off, continued doing my job as I had been, and then gotten yelled at for something they implemented while I was gone and was never told about. In addition to that, the managers are often clueless as to what corporate wants and oftentimes will tell you contradictory things to what a different manager told you five minutes ago.

The "benefits" are a joke as well. No paid vacation, the insurances they provide are a joke, prizes they promise for doing well in the contests they beat you over the head with go unfulfilled unless (our staff is still waiting on two pizza parties, a trip to Main Event, gift cards, etc).

Unless you are going to be started out as a bartender (which also comes with it's own set of headaches, but the money outweighs the headaches...sometimes) I would stay away from this job unless you are absolutely desperate for money and have no other job opportunities.

Working at Joes Crab Shack taught me how to work in a fast paced environment, customer service skills, and patience.

Former Employee - Server in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is based on tips. So, the better service you give to guests, the higher your daily earnings will be.

Cons

Sometimes your work goes unrecognized. There are times that a server gives great service and the tips will not reflect your work. Also, some guests are extremely difficult to please and many scheme to get out of paying for their meals.

Listen to your employees. Happy employees...great service....happy guests....higher sales.

Joe's Crab Shack Photos