Joe's Jeans Reviews

1. Potential

Former Employee - Keyholder & Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Keyholder & Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount, depending on the team you work with there is a good chance for promotion and flexibility with hours. Decent product and presence in denim.

Cons

Compensation for employees at many level is rather low. Bonus/commission structure is ineffective and not rewarding nor enticing. Lack of direction with product chain.

Advice to Management

Strive to retain quality employees by offering quality compensation. In the service and goods industry that is as highly saturated as denim and ready wear, employees that really act as ambassadors to the brand are invaluable.

2. Employee

I have been working at Joe's Jeans

Pros

Loved the company , and pay

Cons

Upper management , sucks doesn't care about the retail stores

3. Please reconsider before even applying here.

I worked at Joe's Jeans

Pros

Great discount on jeans and that's about it!

Cons

This place is truly the pits. Working here has been one of my most miserable experiences. The turn over for this company is like no other and the stores are typically always short staffed. In other words be prepared to work endlessly with very little pay. You can tell that corporate is small, they are very unorganized and seem to hire just about anyone to be a DM. The bonus program is a joke as well.

Advice to Management

Less micro-managing and more training for employees would probably help business excel.

Supervisor and Key Holder

Former Employee - Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team as fantastic, supportive, and very capable. The products are decent and the price point is not detrimental to business. Definitely opportunities for promotion with in the company - mostly hires in house.

Cons

On the corporate side of things the company has a very vague target market and often frustrated stores with out-of-place merchandise. Often times corporate directives were not effectively organized or relayed to store teams. In terms of compensation it left many feeling dissatisfied. Promotions marginally increased one's earnings and the bonus structure was horrid.

6. Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Joe's Jeans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small, boutique feel, very family

Cons

unorganized, new company, cheap company as far as treating employees

7. Great company to work for but lacks a clear long term vision.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees.
    Great management.
    Exciting management that is young and fun at heart.
    Very stable place to work. This is rare in fashion. I appreciate that management puts an effort into keeping employees for the long haul.
    Loyal.

Cons

Planning and decision making is slightly all over the place making it hard to implement projects in a timely matter.
    Company doesn't focus on overall stock performance to benefit the employees and shareholders.
    Public company that acts too much like a private company which makes "titles" hard to go by. Lots of cooks in the kitchen when some are not cooks.
    Lots of micro managing.

Advice to Management

Plan around "Joe's Jeans". Do't worry as much about what "everyone else" is doing.
    Get the stock up.
    Be consistent and all have a similar vision in par with one another to streamline company decision making and operations.
    Less is more. Quality over Quantity.

How I moved up at Joe's

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is an intimate corporate company. A lot of room to excel and move up quickly. Flexible hours and great mentors. I learned so much about denim that I was able to educate my customers in fit, wash and longevity. I was personal acknowledged my clientele and given corporate recognition. I went from sales associate to style consultant at headquarters in no time with the tools they gave me.

Cons

The big brother aspects with cameras watching your every move was not natural. Even during an inventory day I would get calls to the store from a higher up asking me why I had taken a seat for five minutes out of my seven hour day. Felt like a power trip then the store manager would tell me not to worry about it. They then dealt with the invasion of my privacy.

Advice to Management

Don't do the big bother thing unless completely necessary. I understand for loss and prevention but for someone manning the store and doing hard work they don't needed to be checked up on with a phone call regarding the position they are in. It is creepy.

A perfect job for a college student.

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time

Pros

It was a very relaxed work environment.

Cons

Extremely lazy store management. No consideration for employees.

Advice to Management

Need to lead by example. If you sit in the back office on your phone the whole shift and run personal errands every other day on the clock then do not expect your team to have any respect for you.

Joe's might be for you...

I worked at Joe's Jeans

Pros

Pay, benefits, discounts, clothing, low stress environment.

Cons

Micromanaging, difficult sales goals, weekly conference calls that were almost always useless.

Advice to Management

Don't get too comfortable, keep it 100% professional.

Growing company, struggling corporate structure, but overall a desirable company to work for

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Joe's sells some pretty great stuff overall. There are occasional gaps in quality, but these issues are less frequent than common. The discount in somewhat generous, though it has shrunk in recent years. I worked with an excellent staff, all of whom are great people. Anybody would be lucky to work with them; most retail locations aren't nearly as flexible or nice as the one I worked at. I was fortunate to work with an excellent group of individuals, all of whom were knowledgeable, considerate, and generally awesome to be around. It's the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

The bonus structure is pathetic. If--and it's a big if--your store makes its monthly goal then you'll receive your bonus... well, who knows when. And it'll be small enough that you may not recognize that your bank account even had a deposit. There are unnecessary demands from corporate that, if I may be honest, do absolutely nothing to drive sales or increase revenue. It's often frustrating to deal with this. Finally, don't expect competitive wage or salary, let alone raises.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your employees are not as replaceable as you believe. It's imperative that you cultivate a staff of educated and informed employees. Selling denim (and collection pieces) is easy, but getting your store to the next level requires a low turnover and familiarity with the product and competing brands. This is difficult to come by. I understand that Joe's is in a growing process right now, but I believe the employees' needs were cast aside and utterly neglected as as result. There was never an opportunity for growth within the company, nor was there an incentive to excel at one's job. Too much of the corporate reporting seemed like corporate CYA, which was often unnecessary and cumbersome.

RSS Feed </> Embed