Joe's Jeans

Joe's Jeans President, CEO, and Director Marc B. Crossman
Marc B. Crossman

Greatly Disapointing

I worked at Joe's Jeans

Pros

Great discount, but product has continuous quality control issues.

Cons

Lack of support from corporate management who provide you with no support while aggressively expecting you to succeed is counterproductive to everyone. This stifling work environment worsened emensly after hiring on the Director of Stores in 2011. The company did not need another "leader" who reflected a culture of elitist detachment from its retail staff.
    This company does not address continuous Q.C. issues with clothing, which affects customers belief in purchasing a quality garment. Most items are made in China which is reflected in the amount of returned damaged product from disappointed customers. Its obvious the company is more concerned with quantity or quality, while still promoting itself as "designer denim."
    Bonus structure is a joke and pay is obsolete; with negative and oppressive corporate managemment there is no incentive to succeed. Even when you are proving yourself and exceeding sales expectations you are not acknowledged and encouraged.

Your "underlings" are the ones paying your corporate salary. They are to be valued, supported and encouraged. If they reach out and you continuously let them fall, so will your business.
    "Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end."
    — Immanuel Kant

Don't waste your time with this company; they're not profiting and neither will you.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. Poorly run business, inefficient business practices, poor communication, "corporation" operating as a startup, poor work/life balance, terrible people

Cons

Micro management, poorly run business, not a profiting company, basic jeans and tee brand trying to be luxury, a brand trying to be luxury when no one in the company comes from a luxury background: "corporate" employees consist of low end outlet and forever21 backgrounds, this company is "clicky" whereas people who have some relationship with Joe are given illegitimate authority in the business to interject their personal perspective of business and employees which consist of personal vendettas against any new hires that don't kiss ass, their visuals team is atrocious-the worst I've ever seen, they have no idea what they're doing, and this company is just a typical retail environment; cutthroat, fake, unprofessional, and full of phony and tacky people to put it kindly.

Don't micro manage, support the individuls you hire, ensure business efficiency and quality work environment, communicate, don't call yourself corporate when you operate like a start up, don't eliminate good people building your brand because "corporate" aka best friends with the owner dislike someone on a personal level, stay professional with building business and relationships as your objective or this company will continue to fail, stop trying to make a jeans and tshirt brand "luxury" and/or fashion forward, it's a joke.

Fabulous until October 2011 Director of Sales Hire.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Joe's Jeans

Pros

Great Discount.
    Wonderful Customers
    Great Associates
    Nice product

Cons

Micro-Management from Director of Stores disallows any opportunity learn and grow.
    Opportunity for advancement is extremely minimal. Unfortunately, you aren't rewarded bye your proven skill set. Only bye being one of D.O.S. minion, of which are totally controlled bye fear and scare tactics.

Senior Management: Director Of Stores, and her minion of whom she brought with her are going to tear Joe's Jeans Inc. apart! I wish someone would do something before it becomes too late!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not worth your time...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Taft Southwest, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taft Southwest, TX

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time for less than a year

Pros

co-workers... I have become close with "most" of my co-workers and still remain friends after employment.

Cons

management. Absolutely absurd. I have sent multiple emails to the new VP of stores, the Director of stores and the head of HR about my awful experience with Joe's with no response back. I even sent an email about my hours being shorted AFTER giving my two weeks, still nothing... No, "we will investigate this". This is very much a company that is "on to the next one". Point blank, even if you are a top sales producer, they just don't care to listen to you. They do not listen to what you have to say and if there are problems in your store, they just sweep it under-the-rug. I have never felt so be-littled in a work environment and was constantly discriminated against.

Response. Dusting a problem under the rug does not solve the prolem. Be proactive.

A perfect job for a college student.

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time

Pros

It was a very relaxed work environment.

Cons

Extremely lazy store management. No consideration for employees.

Need to lead by example. If you sit in the back office on your phone the whole shift and run personal errands every other day on the clock then do not expect your team to have any respect for you.

Joe's might be for you...

I worked at Joe's Jeans

Pros

Pay, benefits, discounts, clothing, low stress environment.

Cons

Micromanaging, difficult sales goals, weekly conference calls that were almost always useless.

Don't get too comfortable, keep it 100% professional.

Growing company, struggling corporate structure, but overall a desirable company to work for

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Joe's sells some pretty great stuff overall. There are occasional gaps in quality, but these issues are less frequent than common. The discount in somewhat generous, though it has shrunk in recent years. I worked with an excellent staff, all of whom are great people. Anybody would be lucky to work with them; most retail locations aren't nearly as flexible or nice as the one I worked at. I was fortunate to work with an excellent group of individuals, all of whom were knowledgeable, considerate, and generally awesome to be around. It's the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

The bonus structure is pathetic. If--and it's a big if--your store makes its monthly goal then you'll receive your bonus... well, who knows when. And it'll be small enough that you may not recognize that your bank account even had a deposit. There are unnecessary demands from corporate that, if I may be honest, do absolutely nothing to drive sales or increase revenue. It's often frustrating to deal with this. Finally, don't expect competitive wage or salary, let alone raises.

Recognize that your employees are not as replaceable as you believe. It's imperative that you cultivate a staff of educated and informed employees. Selling denim (and collection pieces) is easy, but getting your store to the next level requires a low turnover and familiarity with the product and competing brands. This is difficult to come by. I understand that Joe's is in a growing process right now, but I believe the employees' needs were cast aside and utterly neglected as as result. There was never an opportunity for growth within the company, nor was there an incentive to excel at one's job. Too much of the corporate reporting seemed like corporate CYA, which was often unnecessary and cumbersome.

Joe's is a fun and fashionable environment to work in, but it will barely pay your bills

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Joe's Jeans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount, 2 weeks of vacay and 1 week of sick time plus benefits, fun environment to work in, friendly, non-pretentious and customer service oriented

Cons

No gratis, ridiculously high expectations for bonus goals, bonuses are extremely small to nonexistent, little to no acknowledgement for hardwork and dedication, no room for negotiation

Listen to your employees about store issues and client wants/needs for each location. Every location has a different demographic and certain items and styles do not sell well at each one. Provide each store with the resources it needs to succeed. Market each new store before opening and always have a grand opening or fashion show to gain attention from locals. Visit each store and review the cameras every few months to make sure everyone is doing their job properly. Most of your employees are too afraid to speak up about management issues in fear of losing their job. I have witnessed everything you can imagine that is against your policy in this company: sexual harassment, drug dealing, substance abuse at work, 1 hour ten minute breaks, stealing, revealing confidential info such as employees' wages, etc. Be aware that this is happening or has happened in your stores, and these are the some of these people you have running your store.

Great company to work for but lacks a clear long term vision.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employees.
    Great management.
    Exciting management that is young and fun at heart.
    Very stable place to work. This is rare in fashion. I appreciate that management puts an effort into keeping employees for the long haul.
    Loyal.

Cons

Planning and decision making is slightly all over the place making it hard to implement projects in a timely matter.
    Company doesn't focus on overall stock performance to benefit the employees and shareholders.
    Public company that acts too much like a private company which makes "titles" hard to go by. Lots of cooks in the kitchen when some are not cooks.
    Lots of micro managing.

Plan around "Joe's Jeans". Do't worry as much about what "everyone else" is doing.
    Get the stock up.
    Be consistent and all have a similar vision in par with one another to streamline company decision making and operations.
    Less is more. Quality over Quantity.

How I moved up at Joe's

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joe's Jeans part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is an intimate corporate company. A lot of room to excel and move up quickly. Flexible hours and great mentors. I learned so much about denim that I was able to educate my customers in fit, wash and longevity. I was personal acknowledged my clientele and given corporate recognition. I went from sales associate to style consultant at headquarters in no time with the tools they gave me.

Cons

The big brother aspects with cameras watching your every move was not natural. Even during an inventory day I would get calls to the store from a higher up asking me why I had taken a seat for five minutes out of my seven hour day. Felt like a power trip then the store manager would tell me not to worry about it. They then dealt with the invasion of my privacy.

Don't do the big bother thing unless completely necessary. I understand for loss and prevention but for someone manning the store and doing hard work they don't needed to be checked up on with a phone call regarding the position they are in. It is creepy.

Worked for Joe's Jeans? Contribute to the Community!