John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers

Updated Feb 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Enjoyed the opportunities and exposure, BUT...

Admissions Representative/Instructor (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFun job, great opportunity to meet people from all walks of life, including some local celebrities. Enjoyed regional traveling.
    Watching people's/kids confidence and self esteem grow during the classes.
    I enjoyed the job and the atmosphere at the school, just not the sales tactic ploys.

ConsHigh pressure to sell their courses in "modeling" and "acting" - The purpose of the "Model searches" were for getting people (and/or their kids) to sign up for expensive classes regardless of whether one had any potential or not. This is a school, not a modeling agencies. The "jobs" they tell you about are mostly non-paying jobs at local shopping malls. I never got paid money for the modeling jobs I did, but sometimes got to keep an outfit I modeled. Having said that, I took the classes before teaching them (which was my only credential for teaching them) and found them to be fun and informative. I enjoyed watching the self-confidence that developed in the students. I was more upfront with parents/would be clients than most of the "sales" people by telling them the likelihood or unlikelihood of whether they or their kid(s) could make it in modeling, but presented the benefits of taking the classes regardless, especially in building their self awareness, confidence, building poise and posture, learning about fashion and makeup, etc. Although upper management would not have approved of my candor with people, I was able to make quite a few "sales" for the school with the approach I took. There was a high pressure to sell the classes and we were expected to say whatever it took to get people/parents to sign up. If the center was not up to the franchise owners expectation by the end of the month or quarter, the director would sometimes take over your interview to try to close it if she thought you might not. Or if we were having trouble closing a sale with a "difficult" customer, we were told to bring in the director and she would use her position and say whatever it took to convince the customer to sign a contract. But often, those people ended up cancelling and we didn't actually end up with the sale anyway. But at least it looked good on her initial report to the owners. I had a real problem with that and some of the techniques we were asked to use to close a sale and eventually left even though I enjoyed working there. The hours are not all that convenient unless you like to sleep in --- 1 to 9 PM weekdays and you were expected to work weekends, and travel for modeling searches that were not held at the school or nearby. The pay was okay. You got a commission for the classes you were able to sell. You made more for every modeling course you sold, less for the acting classes, so there was more pressure to sell the modeling courses. I supplemented my income there by teaching a few classes on the weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nice if they encouraged their employees to be more honest with potential customers instead of misleading many of them in order to close a sale. I was not a top earner, but did pretty well by being more honest. At least the people I signed were angry or disillussioned like those who did to to close a sale. I worked for them back in the 1990's and from what I read online, things have not changed.

Don't Believe The Hype

Center Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe work schedule is 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM which allows you to miss the rush hour traffic

Cons1.There is so much mis-representation regarding earning potential and what they do for their clients.

2.You also have to work EVERY Saturday.

3.When they close for the Holidays, you don't get a paycheck.

4.You are recruiting potential students by giving misleading information.

5. There is a very high rate of turnover

6. The corporate officers have very little respect for their sales staff

7. If you leave the company, you will not recieve commissions that are owed to you

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your potential employees

worst admissions job ever

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsFun job to see students enjoying the sessions, but they don't know what really is going on

Conseverything they give you a draw $7.27 an hour commissions 100% high pressure to lie to potential models work 6 days a week to hit goal of 5 sales a week. High turnover rate, four people fired in less that one month

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to value ethical employees and not promote dishonest ones

Worked for John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers? Contribute to the Community!