John David

Be The First To
Add Photos

John David Chairman Peter Cowgill

Peter Cowgill

great times and loads of fun working in here.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood staff discounts, good banter from staff.

ConsSometimes long hours, but worht it at end of week/

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more friendly to staff.

JD is a selfish company that only cares about receiving money from the public.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Torquay, England (UK)

ProsAs I am currently at university, it is good to be able to come back from university and have a job waiting for me. The 25% discount comes in handy to!

ConsMy last manager tried it on with every member of staff possible, and my area manager doesn't care about his employees. If I could describe this company in two words it would be 'slave labour'. Although I have been able to come back to a job, sometimes I wonder why I bother. Minimum wage, ridiculous hours (they can go from 30 to 12 within a week). There is no bonus scheme for employees, it is kept within the management team if target is made or sales have been outstanding. It's just an unfair company!

Advice to Senior ManagementArea managers, it is not a crime to smile at employees. We are trying our hardest to make every shopper enjoy their visit, if it wasn't for us you wouldn't have a company to run.

Excellent

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsCareer Oportunities are fantastic for example becoming a supervisor, merchandiser, assistant manager or store manager.

ConsKiosk Sales are the best way to make more sales and meet the customers needs and expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementKiosk Training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ups and Downs

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat experience working with Visual Merchandising team and was introduced to a wide range of roles within Visual Merchandising, met some great people and enjoyed pressure/ felt proud of achievements. If you want to grow within a company, this is one of the best places to do that.

ConsIt was always a constant battle to get the company to invest in me, I was always praised for my dedication to the role but I was never invested in to the same degree. It was virtually impossible to get a pay rise, it was often hard to secure holiday dates and there was no understanding if I had to take a day off due to family emergency or something really important.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider staff more... There was often a preconception that staff were lying if they urgently had to go home or felt ill, staff were often treated more like a nuisance than valued members of the company and this is why they would often give unsatisfactory customer service/standard of work. From my personal experience I think pay was a huge issue, I was in the company for a total of just over 4 years and only received 2 small pay rises, I worked very hard for the company and if they had invested in me it is possible I would still be there.

Lovely colleagues but management is poor and the pay is dreadful.

Weekend Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThe people that work there are lovely. I'm always swapping sections (departments) so the job very rarely gets boring. Sometimes management lets you go home early which is always a relief. There is a pension scheme in which the employer pays in as well as you, but it seems unnecessary as most people consider this a temporary job while at college/ university or another opportunity comes along.

ConsManagement is extremely condescending, unmotivating and unsupportive. Do not always get enough hours and the pay is terrible. the career opportunities are very bleak and unflattering. I think (and most of my colleagues would agree) that the only way to progress further in regards to their career is to look for another job (advisably away from retail).

Advice to Senior ManagementWork alongside the staff, motivate them, offer incentives. Offer quick breaks in between hard tasks (heavy lifting during delivery etc..) and also better facilities in the staff room.

Working at JD

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Bury, North West England, England (UK)

ProsGood group of people to work for and learn good people skills

ConsNot great pay and not much job variety.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease wages.

An experience worth being a part of.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Southampton, England (UK)

ProsWorking for JD has allowed me to make new friends in the work place whilst having a social environment where everyone is a team player. Management are so helpful with problems and help to progress you further into the company. I believe that I have learnt a lot through my training and due to this it has made me a more mature person.

ConsBusy days such as Saturdays can cause some stress on people and how the shop is ran. Without organised management some floors can become messy and out of control giving the public the wrong impression to our company. JD website promotions can clash with kiosk orders, such as next day delivery to store when that day may not be the stores delivery day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKiosk orders are a problem in the store I work in. We can only help by giving customer services number to orders that have not been delivered. Perhaps starting 'training' days for those who wish to progress to a high level can have a taster of what management entails.

Staff not fully appreciated.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThe main perk is having 25% off all the clothes and trainers, I saved a lot via this. I did learn lot about working in a shop. I did also learn to work under my own initiative.

ConsI felt that management were not properly trained to work with their staff to their full potential. If staff, like myself, worked hard we were never recognised for it. I often had to work two sections on my own, not great for security. I asked for someone various times but no one ever helped.
    Another point is that staff got away with too much, lateness was ignored and also people using phones on and off shop floor during working hours. People leaving their sections unattended so other staff had to compensate.
    I was only appreciated when I decided it was time to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusy stores need bigger budgets for staff to make sure all the security measures can be enforced. One person cannot be expected to watch a changing room, keep both section's tidy, serve all customers and put stock out.
    Managers need more training on dealing with their staff. They need to back up what they claim they will do for the store.

It has been enjoyable in some circumstances, but quite degrading at times.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount, Flexible working hours, Double pay on bank holidays.

ConsPersonal growth, Lack of understanding and support for bottom line staff, Very demanding role.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal growth: They should invest more in bottom line employees as a lot of their part-time employees are students at university or college. They should use this to their advantage and offer internships or graduate programs to these individuals as they may study degrees relevant to John David such as Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Advertising. By making these employees feel valued throughout their studies and having JD support them they will have high satisfaction and commitment to the company. Maybe they could issue questionnaires to employees at their different branches to identify what they do outside of JD and then review those that could be beneficial to the business.

Leadership: From my personal experience it is better to have management that can take control, but also maintain good relationships with the team. It is difficult to find a manager that can do this. I personally found that younger managers around late 20's to early 30's were able to do this, but some managers who are older with a more traditional point of view on leadership does not work well at this day and age. You need to have a manager that helps the team to achieve goals e.g. sales targets, standards, customer service. Not a manager that can tell others what to do, but does not help along the way.

Operations: JD is an extremely busy place to work as my store will make around £9000-£12000 on just a Saturday and we are not even classed as a flagship store. But the layout and operation of our store is not suited to the traffic we get. There are only 2 tills placed in the centre of the store. I think it would need at least 3/4 tills to deal with the traffic and possibly a till on the footwear department to balance out the demand.

Discussion: As being a sales assistant we are easily overlooked, but we contain a lot of information on what customers want and how to improve operations. However, JD does not have an easy communication model for the bottom line to communicate with the top management. I believe if they could input a suggestion scheme at all branches and allow all employees to have their say and input on what they believe customers would want or need it would prove to be very beneficial for the company. It will make us feel more appreciated and generate numerous ideas for the head office to put in place. E.g. customer views on current refund/exchange policy, new product lines customers believe JD should stock, their honest view of the company as a whole.

Security: JD has a very high theft rate, but there is still not security in particular stores. Head office expect sales assistants to give great customer service, do standards, dust and clean, get delivery out and stop thieves. It is very difficult to have all of this done by employees, especially if understaffed. A security guard would generate more savings for the company as the theft rate should decrease and the customer service should increase due to employees being able to focus solely on the customer.

Terrible treatment of all staff company wide

Floor Manager (Former Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsYou will never be out of a job as they make serious money.
    Promote internally rather than externally so better career prosepects.

ConsMinimum wage for basic staff, poor pay until region management level.
    You are expected to work unpaid overtime and extra days unpaid as a manager /assistant manager and if you do not it is held against you in terms of promotion opportunities etc.
    No incentive to perform better, just the threat of job loss.
    Treat staff terribly.
    Lots of political game playing to advance.
    Employ young kids aged 16-18 as they are cheap, no regard for the effect this has on customer service ad general job competency.
    Always understaffed due to penny pinching antics and ridiculously small wage budgets, so managers and experienced staff work overtime unpaid to ensure shop is looking 100%, or else area managers come in and destroy them (Even though they authorise the wage budget reductions).
    Expected to do 10 peoples work on 6 people.
    A sales assistant gets paid minimum wage to be a SA, cleaner and a security guard, and are frowned upon if they do not chase after thieves themselves, due to the company being to tight to employ a security guard.
    Constantly mystery shopped (Not usually an issue to manage performance, but they punish based on a report from 1 customer, show report could be totally swayed by their mood that day and 3/10 of the reports are not accurate, but punishments are still handed out without investigation)
    Customer service always overrules managers final decision even without inspection of the disputed item.

Terrible company to work for (I did 7 years whie getting me through 2 university degrees).

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff so they feel valued not threatened.
    Stop penny pinching on things like wage budgets and leaning on managers so they feel forced to work unpaid overtime or their career advances will be halted.

Worked for John David? Contribute to the Community!