John David

John David Chairman Peter Cowgill

Peter Cowgill

Repetitive but fun

I have been working at John David

ProsStaff Discount, Great managers and employees, good to their staff, loads of room for advancement

ConsSame work over and over

Poor very poor never work for these people

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
West Thurrock, England (UK)

I worked at John David part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get 25% off and i became very close with the people i worked with almost like family

ConsThey treat you very bad and if you are not liked they will make you know about it they will find every little thing too sack you management only look out for them selfs and dont really have a clue on what is going on they just sit in the office all day. Poor pay for the work that you have too do. The company dose nutting for you and dose not care about you. If you put in a complaint about any of you managers it will not go no were will just get brushed under the carpet. For example i got suspended and i found out one of my bosses was telling people i told head office and nutting was ever done out it was just forgotten and also they always underpay you or pay you late last week the paid me late and week before that they underpaid me by £150! And they do not care because its not their wages

Advice to Senior ManagementSort it out and have a look at your selfs the ceo need too have a long and hard look at the company and how things are done.

good

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at John David part-time for less than a year

Prosfriendly and enjoyable environment at all times

Consat times too cleaning can get a bit annoying

Advice to Senior Managementgood

decent place to work for a retail setup

Customer Service (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at John David full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid leaves are the best among peers.
Decent place to work if you have a good manager.

ConsNo incentives or bonuses, while the company is beating the estimates day in and day out.
Most of the managers are less informed and mere puppets of their management.
Progression is very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose the people running the appropriate stores with more criterion than just money making.

Could be a great company again, but I personally think the Pentland influence has killed it.

Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at John David full-time for more than a year

ProsPros are that you do get access to "staff sales" these are essentially where all the samples and some other stock (mainly own branded) can be picked up for a couple of quid, when in stores they sell for up to 80! You also get to buy samples from the likes of Nike and Adidas, some of which may never even be released so you do get some Gems. There is a Strict "no resale" policy, however it appears to be ignored as some people you see buying literally 20 of the same garment which must mean they really love that top and want to be sure that if one get stained or worn, then they can wear a new one. ;-/

ConsI can only give the cons based on the department where I work, which is the multichannel department. My colleagues used to like working in the department and worked long hours, but that was because they loved what they were doing. Since a new management structure was put in place over a year ago, the whole environment has changed. Most people go home on time and there is a real sense of two faced politics going on here as they now work in fear rather than for love of the work. I used to love working for the company but now I do not. The staff that work for me feel the same way and I'm finding it hard to keep their spirits up. Some of the smallest decisions have to go through a series of very senior managers or the director, which means it can be completely debilitating for you to do work. Over 40% of staff from the department have left since this management change and I'm starting to think that I'll soon add to that percentage. When I speak to my more veteran employees, they all think that same think across multiple departments in Head Office.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to those above me? Leave. All respect for you has been lost by the department over the past year through various actions performed by you and I just don't think that it is recoverable. Contracts are signed with suppliers whom all staff below them say is completely the wrong supplier. I suppose trips to Monaco can be a good way to sway a decision though. If you do want to stay, listen to the staff you have employed as experts in their field to advise you. Stop trying to save money all the time and concentrate on making money a bit more. I am sat here writing this review in work because I'm still waiting for a decision from you. Delegate, or be a bit quicker in your decision making!

sales

I worked at John David part-time for more than a year

Proswork you dont have to take home with you

Consyou need to check all the payslips yourself

Good part time job

I have been working at John David part-time for less than a year

ProsGood work environment and encouraging team atmosphere. I was there for around a year and found the job helped improve my appreciation of customer service as well as team work.

ConsThe salary was not great and I didn't feel as though there was a great deal of opportunity for progression through the company

not bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at John David

Prosfun people and cool boss

Conscan be boring at times

Advice to Senior Managementbetter uniform

positive

Croydon, England (UK)

I worked at John David

Prosgreat communication with staff and management, flexible hours , great atmosphere, some customers are very polite and friendly, every city has a jd sports

Conslong hours sometimes, very very few holiday hours, no sick pay for the first three days off at work unfortunately

Advice to Senior Managementthe managers at john david sports plc are very young, and mostly they become managers with very little expericence

Worked for John David? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John David reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John David CEO Peter Cowgill. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by John David employees.