John David Reviews

John David Chairman Peter Cowgill
Peter Cowgill

1. Strategy analyst

I have been working at John David

Pros

good pay for graduate students, and nice office environment!

Cons

Not noticed yet, because I am new.

2. great company to work for

Former Employee - Floor Manager
    Former Employee - Floor Manager

I worked at John David part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the money, the weight loss

Cons

the hard work, the sweating the labor

3. Progression can be fast. Excellent company to to learn from.

I have been working at John David

Pros

Fast paced business can be challenging over Xmas but hours are good for the rest of the year. Bonus scheme is good. I've learnt a lot from this business they have made me a strong manager.

Cons

More hours over Xmas which is expected. Pay could be better. Customers are terrible.

You need to be visually strong minded and know how to merchandise as the store always needs to look 100% perfect. Be able to cope with challenges

5. Lack of correspondence with regards to my availability, 25% discount though

Former Employee - Delivery and Stock Replenishment in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delivery and Stock Replenishment in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at John David part-time (less than a year)

Pros

25% in all JD Group owned stores after three months, which was really good, and at Christmas time there's plenty of available hours.

Cons

being put down for days which were not on my availability. Being a student also, lack of understanding that on holidays STUDENTS DO TEND TO GO HOME, and for JD this wasn't the case.

Students usually go home over holidays, so making one student stay on her/his own over the holidays isn't particularly enjoyable when the house/halls is empty.

6. disgusting, you get treated like crap for 6.50 an hour. all managers think that they r all that and push u around.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at John David part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some decent friendships,

Get paid weekly

Holiday pay for 28 days a year.

Cons

Long hours, they call u into work when ever and expect u to come in.

They dont give 11 hour breaks between shifts, ive done a shift 2.30 - 12 and then went back at 6am the next day.
    dont work here.

Show more respect towards staff dont treat them like slaves

7. Tiring

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at John David full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are progression, it is quick and easy as long as you put in the work. Staff discounts get generous the longer you are with the company. As a company it is rapidly expanding through many different countries. There is very little competition on the high street so it is a very big brand.

Cons

Unless you work for one of the massive stores you will most probably be forgotten about, area managers do not tend to come to small stores very often and if you need something sorted out, a copious amount of emails will be needed to send. 'Boss are you man hiring'' is the most common question asked when we have our vacancy list up, which gives you an insight to the people we attract. The god awful music that only gets worse during Christmas. The pay for what for what you do is appalling from sales assistant to management, many times managers wonder why their staff turnover is so high (this includes managers) and the reason being is simply because the pay does not reflect the things that staff have to be put through.

Pay more and maybe you will keep your good sales assistants and your good managers.

8. Lovely colleagues, awful pay for what's expected of you

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at John David part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my colleagues and have made very good friends over my 4 years' employment
    Casual environment
    Unfortunately, these are the only pros and the only reason why I haven't given the company 0 stars

Cons

Management was awful
    Minimum wage, completely unfair as being in a smaller store, we were expected to go beyond our job requirements - e.g. having no security guard so having to deter thefts and detain shoplifters with no experience. Whilst it was apparently against the store policy to run after a shoplifter if they had left the store, the company offered financial rewards for those who did so and managed to secure an arrest. Clearly regarded stock as being more important than the safety of employees
    No cleaners so had to do all cleaning.
    Hygiene was disgusting - there was an awful smell in our staff room and corridor area, which was ignored by Area Managers - later found out there was a burst pipe in the toilet.
    Dangerous substances in the walls, and JD's solution was to put wooden boards over the walls instead of actually removing it as they did not wish to spend the money
    Often worked and was not paid correctly by management
    Due to the length of time I had been with the company, I was expected to carry out managerial tasks (refunds and exchanges and merchandising), but was still paid my lowly sales assistant minimum wage.
    Often short staffed but Area Manager hardly ever cared and would never send us cover from other stores in order to keep within the wage cost; this was especially difficult during busy periods - i.e. during Eid (I worked in a store where this was the equivalent to other stores being busy in the run up to Christmas) our wage budget was not increased enough to accommodate for more staff, leading to disgruntled customers and us sales assistants having to carry out impossible tasks. However, JD saw an opportunity for money to be made and ensured that we would receive DOUBLE the amount of deliveries during the week as usual, meaning that more hours needed to be worked with a wage budget that was in no way reflective of this.

Area Managers: Pay attention to your smaller stores which actually make you a lot of money during busy periods, instead of leaving us to rot.
    Don't threaten us with visits and then never turn up
    Store managers: Don't take advantage of your sales assistants

9. If job satisfaction to you is to progress then it's a great, otherwise I'd steer clear

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at John David part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good career prospects
    Invest in people if you show the desire yourself

Cons

emphasis on customer service yet focus is really on 'standards' and the visual side = more customer complaints than there should be.
    management not pro-active enough - clear defined hierarchy with no real team spirit
    slow introduction of individual kiosk targets and counselling sessions if targets are not met is a big mistake - it is not a sales role. Depending on where you are in the store you get more or less chance for kiosk sales. It is heavily biased towards footwear so SA's do not start equally.

Read this website - there are some interesting points to consider

10. special. I've met some amazing people working here.

Current Employee - Trainee Supervisor in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Supervisor in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at John David full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people i work with make the job worth while, i love every one of them. i also like how quick i progressed in the company after working there a year and a half i managed to become supervisor of my floor.

Cons

the pay in my store is a little poor and sometimes decreases the moral of the staff when the job becomes difficult.

give out compliments and appreciation when someone does a good job. nothing is more demoralising then working your butt off and not being appreciated.

11. Okay first time job.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at John David

Pros

Very flexible in terms of hours, 25% discount

Cons

Management always moving/leaving.
    Minimum pay.
    Very strict.
    No bonuses or benefits.

Start treating your staff, bonuses, commission, Christmas meals would be nice. You expect us to meet your targets! Minimum wage does not inspire anyone to sell!!!