John Deere

John Deere Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

Pros:
  • "Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack diversity, work life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The "good-old-boy" network cannot be broken unless you figure out how to play the game"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ruin your career by joining John Deere

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-- Work life balance if you are lucky to get a good team
-- Good salary

Cons-- You have to complete 9 hours per day even if you have nothing to do in the office
-- High politics
-- Less Onsite opportunity
-- Full of old employees who just want to do nothing and take rest before they retire.
-- Employees who know buttering will get all the appreciation and promotions, if you work hard no one really cares. Never think that you can do buttering and will get promotion : You can't do it if you really believe your self
-- Who else in the market work in Agriculture domain? Think before you join
-- HR and senior management will ONLY listen to your BOSS. If he says you are doing good, then you are good. But if he says you are bad then no matter you are good and working hard for the project, you will be accepted as bad.
-- False promises which will never turn to be true.
-- They will have all the reasons to NOT promote you.

Advice to Senior Management-- John Deere has a big name in US and other countries, please make John Deere India at least close to them

Horrible Work Environment

Engineer (Former Employee)
Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYear End Bonus. Salary decent for area.

Cons"Old Boys" network, no training for new employees, brutal performance evaluation scheme.

Worked at PEC. This place is an "Old Boys" network workplace where back stabbing is rewarded. New employees are thrown in to sink or swim. Management requires a fanatical devotion to the product at the expense of all else including family; although the official line is "Family First".

New employees recieve no relevant training. You are thrown into a brutal employee performance evaluation system where the number of "goals" exceeds what is impossible to obtain unless one devotes 24/7 to John Deere. This limits merit increases to save the company money, even though profits are at a record level.

good for practical experience ; the more you work the more you gain knowledge

Technical Trainee (Former Employee)
Pune (India)

I worked at John Deere full-time

Prosalways vacancy for fresher ITI Diploma students

ConsMarathi people are given more preference than out of state person for conformation .

Advice to Senior Managementconformation of trainees should be on basis of work ability not on basis of locality / personal relation with management

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No growth unless politically affiliated. Poor promotion practices. Elitist field mentality

I have been working at John Deere

ProsGood pay for most jobs, compared to industry average.

ConsUnless politically tied in, hired through a preferred / sponsored program, willing to live out of a suitcase, or carried into management on the back of your spouse (who also happens to work for the company), do not come in and expect to get to management pay grade anytime soon. Even if the job is compatible with flexible work arrangements can still be strapped to your desk by a manager with an old school mindset. In general, management does not care about the employee voice are not held accountable on their poor employee survey results. They pass it off as "employee perception". Management getting taken care of financially during a recession and restructuring while worker bees pay stagnent. Typical corporate environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up or retire. Old school mindset is a thing of the past. Stop the good old boy hiring and promotion practices. India is not the future of our company....looks good on the books, but will be company's downfall. You've been caring too little for too long.

John Deere lacks flexibility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at John Deere

ProsPay and Benefits are both excellent. The matching program for the 401k investment is great, although vesting does take 5 years. Generous vacation allowances.

ConsLack of flexibility in work schedules. Lack of support for balance between work and family life. Unfair advantages and preferential treatment given to certain types of employees who best fit the "John Deere Lifestyle".

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Advice

Review of experience at John Deere

I have been working at John Deere

ProsPleasant work environment, appropriate holiday time off

ConsTreat employees with distrust & disrespect, 'rules' change however it benefits the company, not in writing, raises & promotions given via 'good ole boy' network not based on job performance

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 33 years with company I developed a health problem and went on salary continuance as my benefits were supposed to allow. When company wanted me to come back to work, my doctor told them I wasn't ready to return yet, so Deere representative told me to either retire or they would fire me. So forced to retire I'm now living on about 25% of what I made while working.

When I was active employee I was continually discreminated against in favor of younger male employees for raises & promotions even though I have always been rated very highly in performance reviews, and the people I provided work product for throughout the company including international contacts were highly satisfied with my work and very supportive of my efforts, including providing budget money from their division budgets to support my efforts.

I'm highly dissatisfied with how I was treated after being a productive and loyal employee for 33 years.

Fired because of 1yr old son being hospitilized for complications from Hirshsprung's Dieseaes.

Invoicer @ South West Office Building In East Moline, IL (Former Employee)

I worked at John Deere

ProsGood Pay, Very nice people to work with.

ConsThey need to be more Family orientated, and understanding to parents with disabled kids!

Advice to Senior ManagementI still don't understand why I was fired because of missing 3 days of work. My son was Ambulanced to Iowa City, completley ventalated. Please try to change the way you treat families!

Steeped in Politics and Old Management Styles

Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at John Deere

ProsGood reputation in community, decent benefits, stable company, good bonuses in good years, senior management reliable, retirement benefits still available in reduced form

ConsLipservice to employees, no development tracks, political nightmare especially in corporate environment, poor middle management...too much concern for own preservation and advancement, not open to new ideas, micro-management, no real rewards for a job well done

Advice to Senior ManagementPut employees back on the priority list with the shareholders, quit moving inadequate middle managers around, reward good talent and good work ethic, listen to your employees

Steeped in old-school politics...a career black hole

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at John Deere

ProsUsed to be a decent place to work before shareholders became the sole measurement of success. Decent work hours and decent compensation for the Midwest. Not too much commute time typically. Stable company for the time-being.

ConsA political nightmare. The same middle managers rotate around to newly "reorganized" positions. The company does not leverage or value new ideas or new talents, but say they do. They like to gain outside recognition for this, but it doesn't happen internally. Be ready for a day of frustrating, unproductive meetings that prevent you from getting your actual work done. Multiple managers with dotted line reporting provide conflicting input on your work, sending you in circles with no accomplishment, then peg you at review time for not getting things done. The focus has changed from valuing employees to valuing the shareholders. Poor morale, people stuck in the same jobs for 20+ years, and constant talk of how soon they can retire. Deere is typically the only game in town, and treats its employees as such. The "good-old-boy" network cannot be broken unless you figure out how to play the game. Political landmines everywhere, and only those in management know where they are at. If no personal growth, no real advancement opportunities, and frustrating politics are your goal, this may be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an open environment where new ideas and new people are valued. Eliminate the protocol and politics, and get your management to let things happen instead of trying to control everything and everyone. Put value back on the employee and their family. Clean up the stifling culture, and let things move at a reasonable pace.

It is time for an assertive changeout of the aging management at Deere.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at John Deere

ProsDeere is perpetually known as the place where an aging employee population will create opportunity for new entrants.

ConsThe aging entrenched and of step middle and upper management will not depart to make room for needed new thinking let alone new people unless they look, act, and think like the existing management. Deere does not welcome change. The average tenure at the company is among the highest in the world. The company points to this with pride. It was a good thing when the world wasn't interconnected as it is today. Managers return from overseas assignments without learning any new language skills. Mid-career new hires are not assigned mentors or coaches. Newly minted university graduates are assigned mentors that reside thousands of miles away from their worksites.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive aging managers packages and allow them to leave with dignity. Far too much young blood comes, gets trained, and then leaves as they come to realize there is no room for them to move up. You have several mutually exclusionary choices: 1.Either, cease recruiting from the top academic programs where high expectations for meaningful and rapid advancement are the norm or, continue landing top talent and make room for them. 2. Stay within Deere's comfort zone and find less ambitious talent that are a better match for Deere's hierarchical succession practices.

No one is winning in the current hire, train, lose, and then rerecruit environment that exists at Deere.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!

John Deere Videos

John Deere – Why Work for Us?

By 2050 the planet will be shared by another 2 billion people. Building technology to help feed, clothe and shelter the world is what we're all about at John Deere. A career at John Deere offers more than just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Deere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Deere CEO Samuel Allen. All 407 reviews posted anonymously by John Deere employees.