John Deere

John Deere Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here(in 55 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture(in 12 reviews)

gives great work experience

Wage Worker (Current Employee) Moline, IL

ProsBenefits for wage employees is great. free healthcare for union employees

Conslong hrs, seasonal, communication, most management feels that union members are inferior to them. micro management.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the bargaining unit members. we do the job on the floor and make the company their money. all your there for is production support.

Great culture, efficiency could be a lot better

Intern (Current Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsThe pay is great. The company has a great reputation. There is a lot of forefront and great work in agriculture. The people are generally very nice and respectful. It's not really a positive or negative but almost everyone is either married or engaged regardless of age.

ConsManagers typically don't have much experience in what they manage. They have good team building skills. HR doesn't appropriate interns where they're needed. At least half of the 80 interns here are doing busy work or no work(for $19-$23/hr). I work 8 hours a day and Full time employees arrive before me and leave after me everyday. It is a bit rural in the area but there's plenty of city(Not within walking distance also not very big). It's just that the city is very spread out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for real jobs for interns. Attempt to allow first-year interns to have more choice in where they're working and they'll enjoy their job more. There are plenty of teams that actually need people to work. Check feedback more frequently to know about students' feelings. Put managers in areas where they have expertise. The pay scale system definitely could be adjusted to more of a continuous type scale instead of discrete sets of variable pays.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sales

ProsRecognition and name brand products

ConsCorporate..out of touch with front line employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good company to work for

Product Engineer II (Current Employee) Ottumwa, IA

Pros-Get to work on interesting projects
    -Opportunities to travel and get to the field to operate equipment
    -Compensation/benefits is great
    -A lot of training available to employees

Cons-Union employees can be difficult to work with
    -Not a lot of opportunities for hands on work due to the union
    -Expected to work over 40 hrs a week and it seems like you are expected to take work home - checking emails or doing other work related tasks at night, weekends, or while on vacation

Tough on contractors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI wouldn't work here if I had another choice. They expect too much. You won't do any actual engineering because that is all done in India.

ConsThey expect contractors to perform like directs. Your performance will be evaluated. You will be expected to get dirty so wear old clothes.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying more.

Absolutely adored being around the employees and company altogether.

Assembler/Parts Room (Former Employee) Paton, IA

ProsKnowing that i could come into work and have a good day every day. Yea sometimes things didnt go well but u just cant sweat the small stuff.

ConsI didnt really come about anything wrong or bad to say about it. I just love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Just remember, incentive is a great thing to show how much you appreciate your employees.

An overall Great experience as an intern!

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Moline, IL

2. Not much to do as a young professional

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

manager

Foreman (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Prosgreat work environment. lots of team work

Conslong hours, never expect a lot of personal time

Advice to Senior Managementnothing, great management

Great company for long-lasting career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsThe company treats it's employees very well and the employees are very supportive of each other. The company invests significant resources into the development of its employees. There are limitless opportunities for growth within the company, especially considering that a significant portion of the John Deere workforce are nearing retirement. Everyone I have worked with has significant pride in working for Deere and many within the company are long-time employees.

ConsThis is a very large company and is stiff competition for each position that becomes available. While this can be good, it becomes a who-you-know game. Also, the locations of Deere facilities are not in major metropolitan areas and, as such, not as desirable.

Big brand Name

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Brand Name to Work .

ConsSuitable for those who want Stay in Pune & Work as Govt. Servant .

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not Employee friendly particularly providing Career Opportunity .

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!