John Deere

John Deere Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here(in 54 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture(in 12 reviews)

Great company

Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsI worked in Tractor Cab Assembly Operations, Waterloo, IA during summber 2013. The colleagues are nice and helpful. The work time is 7 am to 3 pm everyday. You can do a lot afterwork stuffs.

ConsThe facility is far from the city center. Employees need to commute everyday. Not much choice for lunch, a bit noisy inside the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce noise and enrich lunch selection.

I learned a lot of great skills and was consistently challenged.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsIt builds experience and exposure to old fashion manufacturing techniques

ConsVery non-diverse employees and management. If you are transgender you will be shunned and set up to fail at everything you try to do and they will always cover it up and employees who discriminate are only coached to try and be nicer but never fired..

Advice to Senior ManagementStart doing some serious investigating when an LGBT person has left your company sooner than their contract required. Chances are there was a reason that was not good. Train your employees the danger they put lgbt employees in by revealing them to coworkers.

If you are a 'real' contractor, stay away from this company.

Engineer (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsThe technology of the products is interesting.

ConsIf one is a 'real' contractor, the tasks you are hired to perform should be well defined, specific, and there be a need for your expertise. You come in, do the work, get the money, and go home; kind of a mercenary approach.

During the interview, I was told what problems management wanted help with and where they had a need for my services. I came to the company from out-of-state and after I started work, I was steered away from some of those tasks and told to just learn some s/w tool (which later others in the company had little interest in). Fortunately, I negotiated a higher pay rate than what other 'contingent' workers are paid there (which is a joke I found out).

What John Deere does with contractors is take the 'try it before you buy it' approach. From what I saw with other contractors there, they were local young white males looking to get hired directly, worked for a low salary and did a lot of bowing and scrapping. It appeared the contractors were brought in to see if they would fit well into the 'company culture' instead of performing tasks the company needed a certain expertise in.

I have contracted with other companies before yet never treated like a second-class citizen as I was at JD. It soured me on even considering going direct with JD. The facility I worked at had a lot of asians on visas, and the directs were mostly white males, either with families or recent college graduates. If you are not in that category, you won't fit in (in my opinion).

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to use contract labor, don't pay low wages, don't treat them like second-class citizens, and have them perform the assignments they were told they were needed for during the interview. Not all contractors want to become a direct hire into your company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conservative, too conservative

Engineering (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsPay quite well, good benefit and good bonus for full-time employees. Located in mid-west, low living cost.

Constoo conservative, reluctant to accept changes. Very traditional american business. can not find a lot of workers from foreign countries.

Integrity starting to slip

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked for Deere for over 10 years in different locations. Office culture can be great at most offices. Some of the smaller ones can be tyranical. Pay is adequate for isolated midwest locales. Great 401k.

ConsPay is not good for West or East regions. Mediocre health plan. Vacation is nothing to write home about. Yet another company that professes to attract and retain 'top talent' with 'industry standard' pay and bennies. Please.

Advice to Senior ManagementHmm...almost 4 straight years of record quarters without adjusting payscales for inflation? You've sucessfully ridden the popular post recession wave of corporate caution, buts its wearing a little thin. I have seen employee moral drop impressively in the last few years. I think you can still recover before its too late.

At my location management and union employees get along relatively well

Product Development Specialist (Current Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsDecent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment

ConsUnion employee so there is no real advancement, little job satisfaction

So far so good

IT Early Development Program (Current Employee) Moline, IL

ProsUnlimited potential for growth.

Many opportunities for continuous learning.

ConsPeople in the development program are often not looked at as full time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the perception of people in the development program.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

sumer internship in worldwide headquarter is nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood environment, a lot of things going on

Consnot so much connection with people from other departments.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Manufacturing Engineer

Manufacturing Engineer II (Current Employee) Moline, IL

ProsSound Quality Company,decent benifits,pay plan equivilent to national average

ConsWork force is Union, leadership has there hands tied.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the union or start enforcing company policies.

Great Company - Hard to Get In

IV Jobs = IV Titles (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsVery positive, forward thinking group; you'll get what you need to get the job done; work/life balance attitude is great.

ConsUses temp/contingent help too much. It is very hard to get in for a regular job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've been back to JD 4 times to work on various projects but still can't get regular work there. Open the doors, please!

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!