John Deere

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Ankeny, IA

ProsGreat people, but lots of problem children in the unions.

ConsDealing with union employees who are often unmotivated.

I would HIGHLY suggest not taking a contingent position.

Prefer to Not Say (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, IA

ProsMy manager has done an excellent job of helping me develop professionally. He has also been great to work for, and has done his best to help me further my career with this company. I really have no complaints toward my boss what so ever. The persons you work with are great, and there was very minimal micromanagement in my role.

ConsWhere do I start? It was noted when I first got on as a contingent that if I came in and did great work, I would easily get on. This has not been the case. Although I have received excellent reviews in my work, and had a few interviews, I still have not landed a job within Deere. The jobs I have interviewed for are given to people who are not doing the role but look good on paper, or can talk their way into the role. These are jobs I am currently doing with high reviews from my manager and others I work with. Keep in mind there are such high volumes of contingents, that they/we ALL find ourselves battling for the same position. There are very few job openings as of right now. There has also been a lot of drama in a particular section of my work area where the employees (contingent and JD) are running the show versus the actual supervisor. Although I have avoided anything to do with this scenario, it has created a lot of friction to those of us surrounding the scenario.

I also personally dealt with harassment from one employee in particular, who has been reprimanded multiple times prior. This particular employee also harassed another direct coworker of mine, and was equally as awful to her. It made it a living nightmare to go into work for the first year until she was reprimanded. She still has her job with the company. For a corporation that "prides" it self on their JD values, this seems quite the opposite? Even after speaking with HR about it and bringing up proof, the person still has kept their job.

Overall, Deere is using contingents left and right. It sounded like a great opportunity when I joined, but has not been the case. At all.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about your Deere employees who are creating issues/harassing your contingent workers.

Great culture, efficiency could be a lot better

Intern (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, IA

ProsThe pay is great. The company has a great reputation. There is a lot of forefront and great work in agriculture. The people are generally very nice and respectful. It's not really a positive or negative but almost everyone is either married or engaged regardless of age.

ConsManagers typically don't have much experience in what they manage. They have good team building skills. HR doesn't appropriate interns where they're needed. At least half of the 80 interns here are doing busy work or no work(for $19-$23/hr). I work 8 hours a day and Full time employees arrive before me and leave after me everyday. It is a bit rural in the area but there's plenty of city(Not within walking distance also not very big). It's just that the city is very spread out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for real jobs for interns. Attempt to allow first-year interns to have more choice in where they're working and they'll enjoy their job more. There are plenty of teams that actually need people to work. Check feedback more frequently to know about students' feelings. Put managers in areas where they have expertise. The pay scale system definitely could be adjusted to more of a continuous type scale instead of discrete sets of variable pays.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, Bad locations

Accounting Intern (Current Employee)
    Dubuque, IA

ProsThe environment is great and as a student the pay is really nice as well. I get full time benefits (401K, health coverage, etc.). There is a family feel and everyone is very supportive when you need help. Most internships do lead to full time employment and not many have turned them down when they offered.

ConsThe locations that they have to offer are not the greatest. Most being in the Midwest with a few on the east coast. There are international branches but would require a few years in before being able to relocate. Being from the city, it is a hard adjustment. Most of the people that work here are from the Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin area and are used to the "farm life".

Overall good company to work for

Product Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Ottumwa, IA

Pros-Get to work on interesting projects
    -Opportunities to travel and get to the field to operate equipment
    -Compensation/benefits is great
    -A lot of training available to employees

Cons-Union employees can be difficult to work with
    -Not a lot of opportunities for hands on work due to the union
    -Expected to work over 40 hrs a week and it seems like you are expected to take work home - checking emails or doing other work related tasks at night, weekends, or while on vacation

Absolutely adored being around the employees and company altogether.

Assembler/Parts Room (Former Employee)
    Paton, IA

ProsKnowing that i could come into work and have a good day every day. Yea sometimes things didnt go well but u just cant sweat the small stuff.

ConsI didnt really come about anything wrong or bad to say about it. I just love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Just remember, incentive is a great thing to show how much you appreciate your employees.

Great place to work.

Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
    Dubuque, IA

ProsOpportunities are only limited by the employee's motivation and abilities. Standard benefits for large company and competitive salaries. Cross functional learning is encouraged.

ConsYou must be prepared to contribute and keep improving your skills and abilities to succeed. Just maintaining your abilities will not allow you to keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent job creating short, midterm and long range goals. Employees understand the vision. The key is to keep an eye on work life balance while staying ahead of the competition. While great HR policies are in place, care needs to be taken that it is consistently implemented. The regular employee surveys are great opportunities for this.

Great company for long-lasting career

Des Moines, IA

ProsThe company treats it's employees very well and the employees are very supportive of each other. The company invests significant resources into the development of its employees. There are limitless opportunities for growth within the company, especially considering that a significant portion of the John Deere workforce are nearing retirement. Everyone I have worked with has significant pride in working for Deere and many within the company are long-time employees.

ConsThis is a very large company and is stiff competition for each position that becomes available. While this can be good, it becomes a who-you-know game. Also, the locations of Deere facilities are not in major metropolitan areas and, as such, not as desirable.

Product Engineer

ECU Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, IA

ProsGreat Company to work for lots of opportunities and the culture is very good.

ConsThe locations are not very good (all midwestern suburbs or rural areas). There are a a few semi-urban locations like Raleigh NC and Torrance CA, but positions there are few and far between.

The risk averse culture can make for a slightly dull place to work sometimes. Also the Healthcare provided to new and younger employees is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract and retain more talent really work on getting some more desirable locations to work or at least make it easier to transfer to the ones you have. Every person I know that left John Deere to work for another company has left due to location, it is the number one problem that they face for retaining talented employees who have many options in other places.

Great place to work..,

Urbandale, IA

ProsGreat work environment, very autonomous work, good work life balance.

ConsSome divisions are turning a little too political driving their own agenda with little care for employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down red tape.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!

John Deere Videos

John Deere – Why Work for Us?

By 2050 the planet will be shared by another 2 billion people. Building technology to help feed, clothe and shelter the world is what we're all about at John Deere. A career at John Deere offers more than just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Deere reviews and ratings in Iowa — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Deere CEO Samuel Allen. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by John Deere employees.