John Deere Reviews in Iowa

Updated August 15, 2014
3.9

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 55 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

109 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, I feel I learned a lot, however I wasn't able to accomplish a lot

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and compensation
    Great atmosphere
    Good values
    Lots of opportunities to move and experience new things. Overall good company to work for

Cons

Corporate structure that is needed for a large company. Not as much my style as a smaller company where more responsibility is given

I have enjoyed working at John Deere for the past 12 years.

Current Employee - Assembler  in  Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Assembler in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wages and benefits great. Supervisors work with you when needed.

Cons

Variable work hours but manageable. Sometimes weekends are required but only have to work 3 in a row. 4th weekend always off.

Why would you ever leave?

Current Employee - FDP  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - FDP in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for less than a year

Pros

FDP position: High pay, 2 days per week working from home, easy to network with high management, opportunities for factory exposure, great office atmosphere, fantastic benefits, top tier 401k

Cons

High responsibilities, some long nights at the end of the month, slow email replies from others, many projects to juggle. Not a job for the lazy.

Developing a new orientation program for new employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work place

Current Employee - Product Engineer II  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer II in Davenport, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities for growth. The company will pay for training and encourages continuous education. Salaries are great and for the most part there is a good work-life balance.

Cons

You can get into positions where you work a lot of hours and don't get overtime pay or even comp time.
    Working as an engineer is difficult because there are people with no engineering background working as engineers so it's hard to convey information.

Outsourcing to India is a big mistake. Most of the work done in India has to be revised in the US anyway and it creates more work than it would have been in the first place. Communication is extremely difficult with the folks in India. Phone meetings and emails do not seem to have enough power to help them understand projects; they will just do what they think is correct. Most of the time they are wrong.

Engineering intern at Deere for the summer.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Intern in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company has really great values, living with other interns for the summer is really fun, you are for the most part treated like a full time employee, relaxed and casual workplace, good money.

Cons

Can't do much hands on work because of the labor unions and wage workers, some people got crappy projects/managers (that just depends on the person), housing isn't free like it is for many other internships, all of the Deere locations are in small towns.

Students should be placed better in projects that suit their major (i.e. a manufacturing engineer should be in manufacturing).

I am a part time student at John Deere; I find my job extremely beneficial and rewarding.

Current Employee - Part-Time Student  in  Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Student in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere part-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a good benefits package available to college students including health and a 401k with a generous company match. They treat their students very well and it is an extremely flexible position. You won't make tons of money quickly, but there is a steady income that is a nice supplement to assist in paying for college.

Cons

Need to be available year round.

Great Company

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Ankeny, IA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, but lots of problem children in the unions.

Cons

Dealing with union employees who are often unmotivated.

I would HIGHLY suggest not taking a contingent position.

Current Employee - Prefer to Not Say  in  Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Prefer to Not Say in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

My manager has done an excellent job of helping me develop professionally. He has also been great to work for, and has done his best to help me further my career with this company. I really have no complaints toward my boss what so ever. The persons you work with are great, and there was very minimal micromanagement in my role.

Cons

Where do I start? It was noted when I first got on as a contingent that if I came in and did great work, I would easily get on. This has not been the case. Although I have received excellent reviews in my work, and had a few interviews, I still have not landed a job within Deere. The jobs I have interviewed for are given to people who are not doing the role but look good on paper, or can talk their way into the role. These are jobs I am currently doing with high reviews from my manager and others I work with. Keep in mind there are such high volumes of contingents, that they/we ALL find ourselves battling for the same position. There are very few job openings as of right now. There has also been a lot of drama in a particular section of my work area where the employees (contingent and JD) are running the show versus the actual supervisor. Although I have avoided anything to do with this scenario, it has created a lot of friction to those of us surrounding the scenario.

I also personally dealt with harassment from one employee in particular, who has been reprimanded multiple times prior. This particular employee also harassed another direct coworker of mine, and was equally as awful to her. It made it a living nightmare to go into work for the first year until she was reprimanded. She still has her job with the company. For a corporation that "prides" it self on their JD values, this seems quite the opposite? Even after speaking with HR about it and bringing up proof, the person still has kept their job.

Overall, Deere is using contingents left and right. It sounded like a great opportunity when I joined, but has not been the case. At all.

Do something about your Deere employees who are creating issues/harassing your contingent workers.

Great company, Bad locations

Current Employee - Accounting Intern  in  Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at John Deere as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The environment is great and as a student the pay is really nice as well. I get full time benefits (401K, health coverage, etc.). There is a family feel and everyone is very supportive when you need help. Most internships do lead to full time employment and not many have turned them down when they offered.

Cons

The locations that they have to offer are not the greatest. Most being in the Midwest with a few on the east coast. There are international branches but would require a few years in before being able to relocate. Being from the city, it is a hard adjustment. Most of the people that work here are from the Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin area and are used to the "farm life".

Great culture, efficiency could be a lot better

Current Employee - Intern  in  Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Intern in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The pay is great. The company has a great reputation. There is a lot of forefront and great work in agriculture. The people are generally very nice and respectful. It's not really a positive or negative but almost everyone is either married or engaged regardless of age.

Cons

Managers typically don't have much experience in what they manage. They have good team building skills. HR doesn't appropriate interns where they're needed. At least half of the 80 interns here are doing busy work or no work(for $19-$23/hr). I work 8 hours a day and Full time employees arrive before me and leave after me everyday. It is a bit rural in the area but there's plenty of city(Not within walking distance also not very big). It's just that the city is very spread out.

Look for real jobs for interns. Attempt to allow first-year interns to have more choice in where they're working and they'll enjoy their job more. There are plenty of teams that actually need people to work. Check feedback more frequently to know about students' feelings. Put managers in areas where they have expertise. The pay scale system definitely could be adjusted to more of a continuous type scale instead of discrete sets of variable pays.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!