John Deere Reviews in Moline, IL

Updated October 15, 2014
3.8

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 72 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance for people working in factories (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Design Engineer

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good policies,good people, great benefits,good learning,challenging

Cons

Dependent on Ag market,presence in Mid west only in USA,more process oriented

N/A

Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back environment, friendly, and good work life balance.

Cons

Not a high salary for post grad school employees unless your with IT and the locations are usually in rural areas. Also they organization believes in working your way to the top regardless of your credentials.

Expand the scope of who are allowed in the leadership program, it is too limited and will not allow many diverse candidates opportunities to become leaders in the organization.

The Cons Outweigh the Pros

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Both of my internships provided me with great experience in the Accounting function. The benefits were good.

Cons

The majority of the employees at John Deere are too afraid to be harsh. Both of my managers failed to provide me with feedback. Being that I was an intern, my purpose was to learn as much as I could during the summer so I could be prepared to take on a full time position. Both years, my managers waited until the very end of my internship to give any real feedback.(despite the fact that I sat at their desks daily constantly asking them if I can improve on ANYTHING, whether its was my projects or just my professional demeanor) Whenever I asked them, they would tell, "You doing great; just finish up your projects." My second manager went as far as to tell me that I "disappointed her with my performance." The worst part was she did not even have it in her to tell me that she didn't recommend me for a full-time position (I'm graduating in the spring); I learned that information from her boss's boss, whom I networked with throughout my internship.

Also, the company was not really diverse, especially in "nowhere" areas like Dubuque, Waterloo, etc.

Lastly, the firm (despite stating that they care deeply about family) is EXTREMELY hesitate to place people that they recruit near their families. I, as well as many of my coworkers are from the Northeast. We grew up in cities and suburbs. Despite having multiple locations on the northeast, Deere placed us in the Midwest where there are no cities; just farms and corn. Then people are surprised to learn that we don't enjoy our internships and full time positions.

Please enforce managers to be more stringent and critical with performance reviews because that is how people truly develop. Had my manager provide me with harsh criticism, I would have been able to develop myself better professionally.

Also, if Deere wishes to retain more of its employees, it should do better in relocation; while many people would be open to new experiences, Deere should understand that, for people like me who have no family ties except on the East Coast, being in the Midwest is honestly draining. While making new friends isn't difficult, getting homesick happened often for me.

Leaves much to be desired

Former Employee - Paralegal in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary for contractors, positive work-life balance, a lot of the employees are great people.

Cons

Office culture is not ideal for young, single twenty-somethings and is fairly conservative. The Quad Cities are generally pretty awful, and the temporary contractor situation is not nearly transparent enough: they don't tell you that you will never be converted into a full-time employee without taking a mandatory 6 months off. On the surface, Deere prides itself on its ethics, but deep down that doesn't seem to really be the case.

Be as transparent as possible about the situation for temps and how you can be almost certain you won't become a full-time, permanent employee.

Headquarters Location Poses Challenges

Current Employee - Technology Architect in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Architect in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Friendly co-workers
    Flexible Hours
    Training available upon request
    Strong commitment to corporate values

Cons

Unstructured work environment (most meetings lack structured agenda, inadequate communication both within and across organizations)
    Job Security encourages lack of commitment
    Location of headquarters (Quad Cities area) unable to attract top talent due to inadequate infrastructure (poorly maintained roads and bridges, high property taxes compared to other metro areas, lacks advanced medical care and top doctors, ranks low in job growth, lack of major shopping retailers, portions of the area do not provide 24x7 non-emergency police phone number, lacks ability to attract high-tech jobs)
    Inexperienced mid-level management
    Flawed Exit Interview process (HR relies on managers to conduct Exit Interviews)

Take ownership and responsibility, Restructure IT organization, Too much emphasis on Agile development, Promote managers who are properly trained and certified, Listen to experienced employees

Great opportunities working for a global company

Current Employee - IT Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with global teams and opportunity for those who show initiative.

Cons

With a large company that is over 175 years old, things can move slowly and there can be a lot of bureaucracy.

Listen more to your employees.

It is a great company to work for. Excellent leadership and great opportunities for every job

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

Cons

More work but rewarded for their hardwork

Great leadership and thanks for making employees happy

Overall enjoyed

Current Employee - Material Handler in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, overtime and good working environment.

Cons

Lay-offs, too many people who are unorganized

Need more training when hiring or going to a new position and more advancement when performance is high.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benifits , leadership and easier to maintain work -life balance.

Cons

career opportunities are less for an engineer to progress in the organization .

Intern Supply Management John Deere

Current Employee - Supply Management in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Supply Management in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay for the summer.

Cons

Long hours on occasion, but not bad.

Share more info about company.