John Deere

Updated November 19, 2014
3.8

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 74 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance for people working in factories (in 14 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It provides great opportunities for development, especially if you are in the list of "high potentials".

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company invests a lot of money personnel development. It is a great company to start after college and learn.
    Work-Life balance is great. Management respects personal time and HR has company-wide policies to guide and enforce compliance.
    In theory, the company has a diversity and inclusion policy to manage talent of all backgrounds.

Cons

In order to continue your development and grow, even if you have all the knowledge and skills, you need to develop strong relationship with key individuals in the top management, or keep "lost" in the middle management level until retirement.
    In practice, diversity and inclusion means hiring people from different backgrounds and keep them doing lower level jobs (in relationship with their potential). That gives the top management a peace of mind. They do not care too much about these "diverse" employees think.
    If you are not a charismatic caucasian person, your chances to succeed in top management are very limited.

There are a lot of efforts invested in increasing employee engagement, but top management still promotes only charistmatic people regardless of their results and work ethic. Change your criteria for promotions to include the impact of each candidate on business results. You are not hiring to make a movie in Hollywood.
    Take care of the people that is not in the "high potential" list. They are the one who handle the day to day business and have a great impact in company results. Don't ignore them.

Good company, OK development opportunities

Current Employee - Supply Base Manager
    Current Employee - Supply Base Manager

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great compensation, 401k match excellent, plenty of "free" vacation (e.g. 8 business days during Christmas/New Years). People-oriented performance mgmt goals helps drive for people to work together.

Cons

Very few Expat opportunities. Most US Positions limited to Midwest. Salary raise system not conventional (1x/yr system generated, can't ask for a raise at any time). Have to usually move out of current position/team/unit to get promotion.

Better team alignment between Power Systems, Ag, C&F...other units allowing backdoor selling impacts strategic sourcing with suppliers

Good place to work, but not real organized

Former Employee - Lalborer in East Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Lalborer in East Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Safety is very important here.

Cons

Layoffs even after multiple years of employment.

Get all managers on same page.

Great Employer!!!

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

John Deere & Company strive to groom talent of their workforce. To that end there is plenty of educational opportunities. The culture is laid back compare to other manufacturing environments that I've been employed.

Cons

The salaried employee's healthcare benefits could be better. To my understanding consessions had to be made for the unionized workforce. Being once in a union, I fully understand. I'm wondering how will I be able to protect myself in retirement when those sub-par benefits cease.

Intern Review

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Good company to work for. You get meaningful projects and make really good connections.

Cons

Sometimes your manager is to busy to help you out or coworkers are to busy to help you out

Project Manager.

Former Employee - Product Engineer in East Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in East Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working conditions at the plant.

Cons

communication issues at the plant.

Ask more questions on the interview.

Too much hype, not what was expected

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Friendly co-workers
    Flexible Hours
    Training available upon request
    Strong commitment to corporate values

Cons

Unstructured work environment (most meetings lack structured agenda, inadequate communication both within and across organizations)
    Easy for employees to get lost in organizational structure and be non-productive
    Provide safe work conditions (i.e. my office location at headquarters flooded with water after every heavy rain and was not addressed (possible OSHA concern)
    Location of headquarters (Quad Cities area) makes it a challenge to attract top talent due to inadequate infrastructure (poorly maintained roads and bridges),
    Potential employees should consider high property taxes compared to other metro areas, limited advanced medical care and top doctors, and portions of area do not provide 24x7 non-emergency police.
    Exposed to several Inexperienced managers providing oversight on high profile and high risk projects
    Not challenging enough for me to remain competitive
    Did not experience the "Deere will take care of you"
    Flawed exit interview process (i.e. HR does not conduct face to face exit interviews)

Needs significant organizational restructuring within IT. Too many Technical Architects overlapping each other. Hire and promote experienced and successful leaders and managers (i.e. require certification). Too much hype and emphasis on Agile development,

John Deere is a decent company

Current Employee - Analysgt in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Analysgt in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is great. Lots of opportunites to move around if you are in the midwest

Cons

The majority of the sites are in the Midwest. If you are not open to living in the Midwest the growth potential is horrible. There is also a huge lack of diversity. The company promotes diversity but does not make sure management is actually hiring or promoting diverse people.

Consider promoting employees with ideas, opinions and backgrounds other than your own.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Assembler in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Assembler in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well for the area. Most coworkers are great to work with. Supervisors so far have always worked with me during an emergency.

Cons

They where one a very family oriented company but over the years they have lost most if not all that and focus primarily on shareholder value.

Shareholders do not make, sell or buy farm equipment. Let's get our focus back in the right place.

worker kind of guy with things to do

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Money, cool uniforms, hotels, food

Cons

Working long hours, working at night (I get scared)

Keep it real! Let's do it again sometime