John Deere

John Deere Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

Pros:
  • "Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack diversity, work life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The "good-old-boy" network cannot be broken unless you figure out how to play the game"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A breath of fresh air - and a WONDERFUL company to work for.

Product Engineer 8 (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsI worked as a contractor at Navcom Technology (a wholly owned subsidiary of John Deere) from 2008 to 2011; I was ALWAYS treated with respect and courtesy (an unusual situation for a contractor overall in the industry). I was given significant responsibility, and given interesting and challenging work. I would go back to Navcom as either a contractor or a direct employee in a heartbeat. The company is VERY loyal to employees (and earns their loyalty in turn, thereby).

ConsThe only challenge is that John Deere is an extremely conservative company. This is both a plus and a minus - they don't take as many risks as I think they should (a minus) but on the plus side, they don't seem to go through the hire-layoff cycle that a lot of companies find themselves in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake just a FEW more risks, and hire a few more direct employees. (Ok, that's a bit self-serving, since I'd really like to work at Navcom, and with the "employee contractors instead of directs" that's hard to do). Other than that, everything seems to be top notch in their handling of people and policies.

Very good

I have been working at John Deere

ProsGreat time off policy; this is a fantastic company

ConsNone available at this time

Wonderful company to work for

Infrastructure Analyst (Current Employee)
Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of defined standard operating procedures. Any time you need something there is a way to get it. There is always support for any kind of project you would want to start.

ConsLots of defined standard operating procedures. This can turn into lots of red tape and "We've always done it that way" responses when trying to change the SOP's.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook more into Automation and consolidating utilities.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at John Deere full-time

ProsChallenging and interesting projects.. Great company values and directions..

ConsGood benefits but compensation is not as competitive... geographically not better located to attract great talents

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider paying higher salary to attract top talents

Product Engineer

ECU Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Company to work for lots of opportunities and the culture is very good.

ConsThe locations are not very good (all midwestern suburbs or rural areas). There are a a few semi-urban locations like Raleigh NC and Torrance CA, but positions there are few and far between.

The risk averse culture can make for a slightly dull place to work sometimes. Also the Healthcare provided to new and younger employees is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract and retain more talent really work on getting some more desirable locations to work or at least make it easier to transfer to the ones you have. Every person I know that left John Deere to work for another company has left due to location, it is the number one problem that they face for retaining talented employees who have many options in other places.

Great Learning Experience

Part-Time Student (Current Employee)
Fargo, ND

I have been working at John Deere part-time for more than a year

ProsPart-time student work is very much personally satisfying. All co-workers are willing to lend a helping hand, as well as thoroughly explain different parts of a product technically. Schedule is extremely flexible as long as work is getting done and communication is made with supervisor. Wage is also above local average and there is some paid time off allotted each year.

ConsBeing a big company, there are some bureaucratic processes that need to be followed, but it is not very bad by any means.

Engineering Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at John Deere

ProsExcellent support from co-workers, company focuses on future, and projects are relevant for interns.

ConsHonestly nothing bad to say about the company. Excellent experience.

Best company to work for!

Part Time Student (Current Employee)
Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere part-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunities for career development and diversity! Excellent job security! The people who work at Deere are overall great. Great benefits.

ConsIt's dynamic place.I just started so I don't for sure what cons exists. There is no perfect place. I have heard it's not that easy to assume senior management roles if you are interested in those.Deere's location is also in remote area so not very exciting

Great company that develops and takes care of its employees

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Cary, NC

I have been working at John Deere full-time for less than a year

Pros- Great pay and benefits
- Generally good work-life balance
- Industry leader with great tradition, pride, culture
- Invest in skills development and career planning

Cons- Conservative, staid environment: not for those looking for innovation or fast paced environment
- Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture
- Homogenous environment not great for minorities, city folk

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider putting offices closer to urban centers to attract those who don't wish to live in small Midwestern towns

Not as good as it used to be.

Assembler (Former Employee)
Horicon, WI

I worked at John Deere full-time for less than a year

ProsFarmers think you're cool. Interesting to see how things are made.

ConsTerrible management, only try to hire supplemental(seasonal) employees, large gap in pay and benefits between supplemental and core employees, forced to join a union, get to see all the cost-cutting that affects quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only speak about the management at JD Horicon Works. Be honest and upfront with your employees. I eventually stopped believing anything management told me because they would always change their stories or pass the blame to someone else when things would fall apart.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!

John Deere Videos

John Deere – Why Work for Us?

By 2050 the planet will be shared by another 2 billion people. Building technology to help feed, clothe and shelter the world is what we're all about at John Deere. A career at John Deere offers more than just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Deere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Deere CEO Samuel Allen. All 407 reviews posted anonymously by John Deere employees.