John Deere

John Deere Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

Pros:
  • "Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack diversity, work life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The "good-old-boy" network cannot be broken unless you figure out how to play the game"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

company policy

Designer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsEthics, safety and quality are always emphasize. Good work environment.
    Excellent benefits.

ConsLittle tight on money when it comes to office equipment.
    Overlapping of work responsibilities of manufacturing engineering and R&D engineering.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money on workers needs.

Outstanding and ethical employer

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsCoworkers who care about their peers, about the Deere dealers and the end users (customers).
    Pay and benefits are excellent.
    Very good opportunities for personal growth, training, and career advancement.

ConsSometimes management is a bit conservative.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay tuned into the employees' experiences and their needs.

John Deere is a great company

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Moline, IL

ProsGreat benefits and pay, great culture. Opportunity for advancement

ConsWorkload can be high at times

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Ankeny, IA

ProsGreat people, but lots of problem children in the unions.

ConsDealing with union employees who are often unmotivated.

Great workplace

ProsLots of learning opportunities and networking opportunities

Consjob locations are few and in rural areas far from my hometown

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great!!

I would HIGHLY suggest not taking a contingent position.

Prefer to Not Say (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, IA

ProsMy manager has done an excellent job of helping me develop professionally. He has also been great to work for, and has done his best to help me further my career with this company. I really have no complaints toward my boss what so ever. The persons you work with are great, and there was very minimal micromanagement in my role.

ConsWhere do I start? It was noted when I first got on as a contingent that if I came in and did great work, I would easily get on. This has not been the case. Although I have received excellent reviews in my work, and had a few interviews, I still have not landed a job within Deere. The jobs I have interviewed for are given to people who are not doing the role but look good on paper, or can talk their way into the role. These are jobs I am currently doing with high reviews from my manager and others I work with. Keep in mind there are such high volumes of contingents, that they/we ALL find ourselves battling for the same position. There are very few job openings as of right now. There has also been a lot of drama in a particular section of my work area where the employees (contingent and JD) are running the show versus the actual supervisor. Although I have avoided anything to do with this scenario, it has created a lot of friction to those of us surrounding the scenario.

I also personally dealt with harassment from one employee in particular, who has been reprimanded multiple times prior. This particular employee also harassed another direct coworker of mine, and was equally as awful to her. It made it a living nightmare to go into work for the first year until she was reprimanded. She still has her job with the company. For a corporation that "prides" it self on their JD values, this seems quite the opposite? Even after speaking with HR about it and bringing up proof, the person still has kept their job.

Overall, Deere is using contingents left and right. It sounded like a great opportunity when I joined, but has not been the case. At all.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about your Deere employees who are creating issues/harassing your contingent workers.

Material coordinator

ProsGood salary, management, environment, good co-workers

Conslow benefits, too much work load

Needs more input into overall strategy

Proslocation is fine as is

Consnot very cutting edge technology

Great culture, efficiency could be a lot better

Intern (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, IA

ProsThe pay is great. The company has a great reputation. There is a lot of forefront and great work in agriculture. The people are generally very nice and respectful. It's not really a positive or negative but almost everyone is either married or engaged regardless of age.

ConsManagers typically don't have much experience in what they manage. They have good team building skills. HR doesn't appropriate interns where they're needed. At least half of the 80 interns here are doing busy work or no work(for $19-$23/hr). I work 8 hours a day and Full time employees arrive before me and leave after me everyday. It is a bit rural in the area but there's plenty of city(Not within walking distance also not very big). It's just that the city is very spread out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for real jobs for interns. Attempt to allow first-year interns to have more choice in where they're working and they'll enjoy their job more. There are plenty of teams that actually need people to work. Check feedback more frequently to know about students' feelings. Put managers in areas where they have expertise. The pay scale system definitely could be adjusted to more of a continuous type scale instead of discrete sets of variable pays.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company, Bad locations

Accounting Intern (Current Employee)
    Dubuque, IA

ProsThe environment is great and as a student the pay is really nice as well. I get full time benefits (401K, health coverage, etc.). There is a family feel and everyone is very supportive when you need help. Most internships do lead to full time employment and not many have turned them down when they offered.

ConsThe locations that they have to offer are not the greatest. Most being in the Midwest with a few on the east coast. There are international branches but would require a few years in before being able to relocate. Being from the city, it is a hard adjustment. Most of the people that work here are from the Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin area and are used to the "farm life".

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!

John Deere Videos

John Deere – Why Work for Us?

By 2050 the planet will be shared by another 2 billion people. Building technology to help feed, clothe and shelter the world is what we're all about at John Deere. A career at John Deere offers more than just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Deere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Deere CEO Samuel Allen. All 449 reviews posted anonymously by John Deere employees.