John Deere Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.6

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 55 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern in Iowa

Former Employee - Intern  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Intern in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Great learning experience for an intern. Real projects along with presentations to leadership at the end. There is subsidized housing for interns. Friendly people.

Cons

For me, location was not the best. The workplaces are in nice towns but limited choices (mainly Iowa, IL, or ND).

I don't have much negative. My experience with management was a good one. Keep the intern program going and support as you do now.

A steady, yet motivating place to grow

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

People of John Deere are some of the smartest, most hard-working and kindest individuals you'll ever meet. John Deere is a consistent, reliable company who prioritizes delivering a top-notch customer experience, and value to its shareholders.

Cons

John Deere is extremely conservative and slow-moving.

Please put structure in place to recognize individual employee performance throughout the year - not just monetarily in December. Be more open with individual contributors about their talent assessment, and counsel on management career path opportunities. Today, some receive counseling and are classified "high performers", and some are not. Some Divisions and units are more inclusive of- and promote- women and people of color than others. Direct less inclusive units to adopt best practices from more diverse units.

Excellent Opportunities for women, minorities, and youth.

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Deere is consistently rated a great place to work. The opportunities for women and minorities are huge as Deere diversifies from historic male orientation in manufacturing and engineering. We are right on the Mississippi River for recreational fun. 2.5 hours from Chicago.

Cons

There is no public university in town, so cultural life is limited. Winter is a bit long. Employees are not rewarded for excellent customer service.

Reward employees for excellent customer service. While hiring is diversifying, promotions are not. Analyze the demographics on employee promotions to diversify management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II  in  Ottumwa, IA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer II in Ottumwa, IA

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Interesting work, compensation, career growth

Cons

Some locations are terrible, career growth can be limited on your ability to be political, long hours.

Invest in the smaller towns that factories are at to retain employees.

Deere, great traditions, great environment, great package,

Current Employee - Manager  in  Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Deere is one of the oldest corporations in America. It focuses on an increasing number of markets built on a foundation of tradition and love afair with farming that goes back over 150 years.
    The company has the resources to invest in technical R&D. It has a great relation with its customer base. if you fight for what you believe you can accomplish your goals.

It is truly multi-national so people working for Deere have the opportunity to see a good slice of the planet.

Cons

In IT, i sometimes think it views IT that supports the product with suspicion and starves it.

develop a mentor relationship if you can.

Working at John Deere

Former Employee - CNC  in  Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - CNC in Davenport, IA

I worked at John Deere

Pros

The benifits are great! I'd say the best their is. The pay is great also, and the bonuses.

Cons

Training is rushed. If John Deere invests alot of money in their equipment, an employee with little experience should have more time without being penalized.

I suggest a payed training class for 3 months, even with less pay to make sure employees are confortable with their job and are able to perform their duties as soon as they get in their work area.

Review of experience at John Deere

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Pleasant work environment, appropriate holiday time off

Cons

Treat employees with distrust & disrespect, 'rules' change however it benefits the company, not in writing, raises & promotions given via 'good ole boy' network not based on job performance

After 33 years with company I developed a health problem and went on salary continuance as my benefits were supposed to allow. When company wanted me to come back to work, my doctor told them I wasn't ready to return yet, so Deere representative told me to either retire or they would fire me. So forced to retire I'm now living on about 25% of what I made while working.

When I was active employee I was continually discreminated against in favor of younger male employees for raises & promotions even though I have always been rated very highly in performance reviews, and the people I provided work product for throughout the company including international contacts were highly satisfied with my work and very supportive of my efforts, including providing budget money from their division budgets to support my efforts.

I'm highly dissatisfied with how I was treated after being a productive and loyal employee for 33 years.

Fired because of 1yr old son being hospitilized for complications from Hirshsprung's Dieseaes.

Former Employee - Invoicer @ South West Office Building In East Moline, IL  in  Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Invoicer @ South West Office Building In East Moline, IL in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Good Pay, Very nice people to work with.

Cons

They need to be more Family orientated, and understanding to parents with disabled kids!

I still don't understand why I was fired because of missing 3 days of work. My son was Ambulanced to Iowa City, completley ventalated. Please try to change the way you treat families!

Hot, Hard Work but Good Pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fuquay Varina, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fuquay Varina, NC

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Excellent starting salary.
    Performance bonus every pay day.
    Two weeks paid vacation after first year.
    High 401k company match.
    Good dental plan.

Cons

Pushed to physical limits almost every day to make production numbers.
    Promotion among floor workers non-existent.
    Numbers driven despite "commitment to quality".
    Thirty minute lunch break.
    Hot.

78 degrees is NOT an appropriate temperature when you push workers so hard in a physically demanding job. Turn down the air conditioning. If you need to offset the added cost turn down the heat in winter. It does not need to be 74 degrees in the winter time. If you are cold and it is 68 degrees or warmer you are not working hard enough!
    Another thing that management needs to do is take care of poor performers. Grossly incompetent / extremely poor performers should be rewarded with termination. Don't move them from line to line trying to find somewhere where their coworkers wont complain about them.

A Review of John Deere

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

-Laid-back boss
    -Extremely ethical company
    -great pay
    -great job security
    -easy to move between different functions (accounting, supply mgmt, enf=gineering, marketing) and divisions (power systems, ag and turf, construction and forestry, john deere credit)
    -opportunity to travel and live abroad
    -great new-hire rotational program
    -no one is ever too busy to mentor/help you

Cons

-located almost exclusively in small midwestern towns
    -the majority of their sales comes from a product (agricultural equipment) and customer base (farmers) that is not terribly exciting
    -i spend almost all of my time sitting at a desk staring at a computer

-keep up the good work
    -build units in/near bigger cities to attract more talented young people

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!