John Deere

www.deere.com

John Deere Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 55 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Container Management Specialty (Current Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsDepartments are all working well together

ConsToo many employees are contact so turnover is high

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher more real JD jobs.

Great Company

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsJohn Deere is good to their employees. They offer competitive salaries and exceptional benefits. Most of my co-workers liked their jobs and were competent and pleasant to be around. People work hard but there is also a sense of work-life balance.

The factory, R&D facilities, and proving grounds all on one site is a huge advantage but one that is only possible in an area where land is inexpensive.

Well-recognized and well respected brand.

ConsSometimes management makes decisions that don't make sense to employees in order to please the shareholders. There is a lot of focus on value to the shareholders and somewhat less on value to the customer.

Most offices (especially R&D) are located in small towns. It is difficult for them to draw in and retain young employees who are looking for a city environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company. Wish I could have stayed.

Great company, great co-workers.

Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee) Cedar Falls, IA

ProsI've spent three summers working at John Deere in a variety of internship roles. I had great supervisors in every position I worked in that really wanted to help you learn and were very understanding. My co-workers were great-- still keep in touch with many of them. Lots of training available to learn different skills you might need if you want to move around in the company -- even learning about working with foreign countries. They really want to help you grow as an employee and were very understanding about work-life balance.

ConsNot in the best locations. Things can move slowly as you see in many large companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people but senior leadership lacks focus and creativity

ProsGood benefits
    excellent 401k matching
    Nice online training program

ConsNo oversight for senior management
    Can't think beyond the tractor

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the movements of personnel and resources inside your divisions. Either you didn't properly vet the water business when you bought into it or you left incompetent people in charge without oversight from corporate. Either way, it is corporates fault that Water hasn't performed to expectations.

Great laid back place to intern.

Quality Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsExcellent pay, benefits, and educational opportunities. Great team support system. The culture was great. If you do a good job your sure to get called back for another internship or a job offer.

ConsI can't really say anything negative about John Deere. Housing was subsidized as opposed to some internship offers I had where housing was fully covered. I really had to dig deep for something to say there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive feedback on work performance. That is the only thing I heard from fellow colleagues.

Great co-op experience!

Manufacturing Engineer Co-Op (Current Employee) Greeneville, TN

ProsGreat teamwork and help from team members. Salary + 401k and benefits were available.

ConsNot too many. I had a great time working in this position.

Perfect Summer Internship

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Moline, IL

Pros- committed to core values
    - professional development
    - a lot of visibility with senior management
    - focused on customers

Cons- big company, hard to change in place internal controls
    - location may turn down a lot of future prospects

Unpredictable development path and outcome for qualified mid-career, especially if hired away from another firm.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Falls, IA

ProsBenefits and pay
    Senior management (ie board of directors, etc)
    Location
    Outstanding Company Leadership
    Company is a money maker

ConsSpotty 1st line mgmt experience level, maturity, and perspective
    Culture and to some extent company undervalue breadth and experience
    New comers may find integration challenging
    Systems and processes lack depth
    Negative energy and potential for error.
    Lacks strength in electronics and systems development
    Inexperienced culture with odd sense of entitlement
    Unpredictable development path for experienced/ midcareer

Very old school.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Milan, IL

ProsSalary and benefits not much else as pros.

ConsYou are not judged on what you know but who you know and you are even sent to training for that. Very old systems. No SOP so it is impossible to know if you are doing your job correctly. Not looking for innovation just keep doing it the way we have.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate SOP so employees can do their jobs and know that it is correct. Standardize processes.

IT Intern

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Johnston, IA

Pros- Employees are always there to help you even if you do not know them
    - The project you work on actually goes into production and is not scraped
    - Excellent work environments
    - Great Intern Program

ConsThere are no cons at this company

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, it was a great internship program

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!