John Deere Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.8

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 69 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance for people working in factories (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Contingent Positions Are Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None to speak of at this time.

Cons

The way contingent works are treated is completely UNethical at the Cedar Falls location, the Product Engineering Center.

The Cons Outweigh the Pros

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Both of my internships provided me with great experience in the Accounting function. The benefits were good.

Cons

The majority of the employees at John Deere are too afraid to be harsh. Both of my managers failed to provide me with feedback. Being that I was an intern, my purpose was to learn as much as I could during the summer so I could be prepared to take on a full time position. Both years, my managers waited until the very end of my internship to give any real feedback.(despite the fact that I sat at their desks daily constantly asking them if I can improve on ANYTHING, whether its was my projects or just my professional demeanor) Whenever I asked them, they would tell, "You doing great; just finish up your projects." My second manager went as far as to tell me that I "disappointed her with my performance." The worst part was she did not even have it in her to tell me that she didn't recommend me for a full-time position (I'm graduating in the spring); I learned that information from her boss's boss, whom I networked with throughout my internship.

Also, the company was not really diverse, especially in "nowhere" areas like Dubuque, Waterloo, etc.

Lastly, the firm (despite stating that they care deeply about family) is EXTREMELY hesitate to place people that they recruit near their families. I, as well as many of my coworkers are from the Northeast. We grew up in cities and suburbs. Despite having multiple locations on the northeast, Deere placed us in the Midwest where there are no cities; just farms and corn. Then people are surprised to learn that we don't enjoy our internships and full time positions.

Please enforce managers to be more stringent and critical with performance reviews because that is how people truly develop. Had my manager provide me with harsh criticism, I would have been able to develop myself better professionally.

Also, if Deere wishes to retain more of its employees, it should do better in relocation; while many people would be open to new experiences, Deere should understand that, for people like me who have no family ties except on the East Coast, being in the Midwest is honestly draining. While making new friends isn't difficult, getting homesick happened often for me.

Working at John Deere Technology center India, pune

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, No work pressures,very big company.no dead lines for projects.very good systems(performance management/ internal job postings) and polices. But Managers and HR misuse them very intelligently.

Cons

If you always agree with your managers and keep them happy all the time then you will get good performance rating, promotions.

But problem is managers are mediocre having less or no knowledge of subject matter , technical or people skills. so do not understand what is right so they choose what is easy for them.

Projects do not finish on time, do not have clear idea what and How they want to achieve goals. Too much misuse of resources and time.

Managers have too much powers.

Select right people for managerial positions. senior leadership has to keep watch on managers and need to control them.

Poor career prospects at JDTCI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OEM
    Good global vision for company

Cons

Lot of politics in JDTCI, everybody working only for his growth at expense of other's career opportunities
    At any level people use recommendations & influence of others to get work done

Tough on contractors.

I worked at John Deere as a contractor

Pros

I wouldn't work here if I had another choice. They expect too much. You won't do any actual engineering because that is all done in India.

Cons

They expect contractors to perform like directs. Your performance will be evaluated. You will be expected to get dirty so wear old clothes.

Consider paying more.

Big brand Name

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Good Brand Name to Work .

Cons

Suitable for those who want Stay in Pune & Work as Govt. Servant .

Management is not Employee friendly particularly providing Career Opportunity .

Beware Contractors

Former Employee - V&V Engineer in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - V&V Engineer in Dubuque, IA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really don't know any Pros for a company like this!

Cons

A 3 year contract ended in 6 months, so beware contractors, if I had known I would have never taken the position. And from the short time I was there, this is not uncommon there. Managers that have no idea what is going on, and employees standing around talking all day. I would never consider working for a company like this!!!

I learned a lot of great skills and was consistently challenged.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It builds experience and exposure to old fashion manufacturing techniques

Cons

Very non-diverse employees and management. If you are transgender you will be shunned and set up to fail at everything you try to do and they will always cover it up and employees who discriminate are only coached to try and be nicer but never fired..

Start doing some serious investigating when an LGBT person has left your company sooner than their contract required. Chances are there was a reason that was not good. Train your employees the danger they put lgbt employees in by revealing them to coworkers.

If you are a 'real' contractor, stay away from this company.

Former Employee - Engineer in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The technology of the products is interesting.

Cons

If one is a 'real' contractor, the tasks you are hired to perform should be well defined, specific, and there be a need for your expertise. You come in, do the work, get the money, and go home; kind of a mercenary approach.

During the interview, I was told what problems management wanted help with and where they had a need for my services. I came to the company from out-of-state and after I started work, I was steered away from some of those tasks and told to just learn some s/w tool (which later others in the company had little interest in). Fortunately, I negotiated a higher pay rate than what other 'contingent' workers are paid there (which is a joke I found out).

What John Deere does with contractors is take the 'try it before you buy it' approach. From what I saw with other contractors there, they were local young white males looking to get hired directly, worked for a low salary and did a lot of bowing and scrapping. It appeared the contractors were brought in to see if they would fit well into the 'company culture' instead of performing tasks the company needed a certain expertise in.

I have contracted with other companies before yet never treated like a second-class citizen as I was at JD. It soured me on even considering going direct with JD. The facility I worked at had a lot of asians on visas, and the directs were mostly white males, either with families or recent college graduates. If you are not in that category, you won't fit in (in my opinion).

If you're going to use contract labor, don't pay low wages, don't treat them like second-class citizens, and have them perform the assignments they were told they were needed for during the interview. Not all contractors want to become a direct hire into your company.

Discrimnatory & not an inclusive environment

Former Employee - Machine Maintenance Technician (Skilled Trade) in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a growth opportunity at the Waterloo facilities. Most coworkers are very welcoming to new employees. Great benefits. Some management believes in a diverse and inclusive company.

Cons

Lack of knowledge of what a diverse and inclusive environment is although they advertise that they welcome all diverse people. Supervisors lack knowledge of how to deal with discrimnatory harassment. Human Resources in Waterloo also tries to cover up the fact some of their Supervisors fail to do their job and keep employees safe from harassment. Some Supervisors are guilty of harassment and a hostile work environment also. The Waterloo Foundry has a history of discrimnatory harassment (Articles can be found in the Waterloo Courier) and Human Resources and Supervisors at that facility fail to do anything about it. Certain Supervisors go against John Deere policy to find their right employee.

Learn to be more aware of looking out for harassment. Learn to be much more approachable and not hostile. Learn more about the rights that at-will employees do have and follow those laws and be honest to new employees. There are great Supervisors at Deeres, but there are some that abuse the power and the priveledges that are given to them.