John Deere

John Deere Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen

Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here(in 54 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture(in 12 reviews)

Poor career prospects at JDTCI

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsOEM
    Good global vision for company

ConsLot of politics in JDTCI, everybody working only for his growth at expense of other's career opportunities
    At any level people use recommendations & influence of others to get work done

Tough on contractors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI wouldn't work here if I had another choice. They expect too much. You won't do any actual engineering because that is all done in India.

ConsThey expect contractors to perform like directs. Your performance will be evaluated. You will be expected to get dirty so wear old clothes.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying more.

Big brand Name

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Brand Name to Work .

ConsSuitable for those who want Stay in Pune & Work as Govt. Servant .

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not Employee friendly particularly providing Career Opportunity .

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beware Contractors

V&V Engineer (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsI really don't know any Pros for a company like this!

ConsA 3 year contract ended in 6 months, so beware contractors, if I had known I would have never taken the position. And from the short time I was there, this is not uncommon there. Managers that have no idea what is going on, and employees standing around talking all day. I would never consider working for a company like this!!!

I learned a lot of great skills and was consistently challenged.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsIt builds experience and exposure to old fashion manufacturing techniques

ConsVery non-diverse employees and management. If you are transgender you will be shunned and set up to fail at everything you try to do and they will always cover it up and employees who discriminate are only coached to try and be nicer but never fired..

Advice to Senior ManagementStart doing some serious investigating when an LGBT person has left your company sooner than their contract required. Chances are there was a reason that was not good. Train your employees the danger they put lgbt employees in by revealing them to coworkers.

If you are a 'real' contractor, stay away from this company.

Engineer (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsThe technology of the products is interesting.

ConsIf one is a 'real' contractor, the tasks you are hired to perform should be well defined, specific, and there be a need for your expertise. You come in, do the work, get the money, and go home; kind of a mercenary approach.

During the interview, I was told what problems management wanted help with and where they had a need for my services. I came to the company from out-of-state and after I started work, I was steered away from some of those tasks and told to just learn some s/w tool (which later others in the company had little interest in). Fortunately, I negotiated a higher pay rate than what other 'contingent' workers are paid there (which is a joke I found out).

What John Deere does with contractors is take the 'try it before you buy it' approach. From what I saw with other contractors there, they were local young white males looking to get hired directly, worked for a low salary and did a lot of bowing and scrapping. It appeared the contractors were brought in to see if they would fit well into the 'company culture' instead of performing tasks the company needed a certain expertise in.

I have contracted with other companies before yet never treated like a second-class citizen as I was at JD. It soured me on even considering going direct with JD. The facility I worked at had a lot of asians on visas, and the directs were mostly white males, either with families or recent college graduates. If you are not in that category, you won't fit in (in my opinion).

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to use contract labor, don't pay low wages, don't treat them like second-class citizens, and have them perform the assignments they were told they were needed for during the interview. Not all contractors want to become a direct hire into your company.

Discrimnatory & not an inclusive environment

Machine Maintenance Technician (Skilled Trade) (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsThere is a growth opportunity at the Waterloo facilities. Most coworkers are very welcoming to new employees. Great benefits. Some management believes in a diverse and inclusive company.

ConsLack of knowledge of what a diverse and inclusive environment is although they advertise that they welcome all diverse people. Supervisors lack knowledge of how to deal with discrimnatory harassment. Human Resources in Waterloo also tries to cover up the fact some of their Supervisors fail to do their job and keep employees safe from harassment. Some Supervisors are guilty of harassment and a hostile work environment also. The Waterloo Foundry has a history of discrimnatory harassment (Articles can be found in the Waterloo Courier) and Human Resources and Supervisors at that facility fail to do anything about it. Certain Supervisors go against John Deere policy to find their right employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be more aware of looking out for harassment. Learn to be much more approachable and not hostile. Learn more about the rights that at-will employees do have and follow those laws and be honest to new employees. There are great Supervisors at Deeres, but there are some that abuse the power and the priveledges that are given to them.

Curmudgeons steeped in politics, cliques, and old management styles

Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsOnce upon a time they had good benefits. Name brand still carries some weight.

ConsVery political, so don't count on any advancement due to your work ethic. Middle management are head-cases, who believe they have more power than they do, and like enforcing what they do have on their minions. Those same managers are simply shuffled around with new titles to gain additional income and feed their egos. No room for mid-career entrants...they are not viewed in the same light as those who have only worked for Deere. It's the proverbial "rise to the level of your incompetence" mode there. Unfortunately, those company "lifers" have no clue what the rest of the working world looks like because they've never been out in it. A very toxic environment, where new ideas are not welcome, people are kept down, and the only daily discussion is how much longer each employee has until they can retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit thinking you are the only company that can employ people, and advertising your "awards" for how great you treat your employees while the exact opposite is true. Get competent middle management that actually cares for people other than themselves, and teach them that ideas are welcome from everyone. Value your employees and give them a reason to want to work there, rather than creating an environment where people are forced to feel it is a "privilege" to be there. And give employees a REAL path for career development rather than lip service.

Assembler

Assembler (Former Employee) Horicon, WI

ProsUSED to be the pay was the only good thing about this job but that's not even true anymore with the new contract-WAY to low for how hard you work

ConsHave to pay $100 in union dues EVERY MONTH just to be able to work there and the union will tell you to your face that they do NOT do anything to help supplemental employees! NO job security-NO insurance-NO vacation-NO profit sharing-NO personal/sick-NO raises-NO RESPECT but all the while working next to core employees that get ALL of the above and rubbing your face in it.......they get all the benefits and thousands in profit sharing checks even though you work 3 times harder plus supplementals can't work more than 7 months out of a year than they lay you off for 4 months, if you like working your ass off for a company that will chew you up and spit you out, replacing you tomorrow than this job is for you

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

Great place to work if you knew the right people!

Assembler (Former Employee) Horicon, WI

ProsPay was the only pro for this job.

ConsLack of work-life balance. Almost always on overtime. No benefits. Union doesn't do anything for suplemental employees. Union dues every month. No room for advancement to other positions. If you want to move to another department a core employee gets first dibs. Only get two days of PTO. Point system(once you accumulate five points you get terminated. takes a year for those to reset)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake everyone full time employees and get rid of suplementals.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!