John Deere Reviews

Reset
3.8
John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 78 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance for people working in factories (in 16 reviews)

• Casual and lethargic middle management (in 13 reviews)

John Deere is a great company, there are better places to work than in the JDAS group.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

JDAS is a division of John Deere that provides information services to the food supply chain. John Deere is a great brand and a terrific company so it is good to be part of that organization. The main benefit is being part of John Deere.

Cons

JDAS itself is mired in bureaucracy. Senior Management is disengaged, unable to make decisions, and fails to communicate with employees. For each of the past four years there have been major reorganizations, adjustments of job rankings, and shifts in strategic direction. The result is a constant state of confusion, concern, and inability to focus on the customer.

Advice to Management

Commit to a strategy and follow through. Make decisions and stand by them. Communicate with the employees: engage in the business, listen to what the issues/opporunities are, provide support and resources to get things done.

Steeped in old-school politics...a career black hole

Former Employee - Project Manager in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Used to be a decent place to work before shareholders became the sole measurement of success. Decent work hours and decent compensation for the Midwest. Not too much commute time typically. Stable company for the time-being.

Cons

A political nightmare. The same middle managers rotate around to newly "reorganized" positions. The company does not leverage or value new ideas or new talents, but say they do. They like to gain outside recognition for this, but it doesn't happen internally. Be ready for a day of frustrating, unproductive meetings that prevent you from getting your actual work done. Multiple managers with dotted line reporting provide conflicting input on your work, sending you in circles with no accomplishment, then peg you at review time for not getting things done. The focus has changed from valuing employees to valuing the shareholders. Poor morale, people stuck in the same jobs for 20+ years, and constant talk of how soon they can retire. Deere is typically the only game in town, and treats its employees as such. The "good-old-boy" network cannot be broken unless you figure out how to play the game. Political landmines everywhere, and only those in management know where they are at. If no personal growth, no real advancement opportunities, and frustrating politics are your goal, this may be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Create an open environment where new ideas and new people are valued. Eliminate the protocol and politics, and get your management to let things happen instead of trying to control everything and everyone. Put value back on the employee and their family. Clean up the stifling culture, and let things move at a reasonable pace.

Steeped in Politics and Old Management Styles

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Good reputation in community, decent benefits, stable company, good bonuses in good years, senior management reliable, retirement benefits still available in reduced form

Cons

Lipservice to employees, no development tracks, political nightmare especially in corporate environment, poor middle management...too much concern for own preservation and advancement, not open to new ideas, micro-management, no real rewards for a job well done

Advice to Management

Put employees back on the priority list with the shareholders, quit moving inadequate middle managers around, reward good talent and good work ethic, listen to your employees

Fired because of 1yr old son being hospitilized for complications from Hirshsprung's Dieseaes.

Former Employee - Invoicer @ South West Office Building In East Moline, IL in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Good Pay, Very nice people to work with.

Cons

They need to be more Family orientated, and understanding to parents with disabled kids!

Advice to Management

I still don't understand why I was fired because of missing 3 days of work. My son was Ambulanced to Iowa City, completley ventalated. Please try to change the way you treat families!

Review of experience at John Deere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Pleasant work environment, appropriate holiday time off

Cons

Treat employees with distrust & disrespect, 'rules' change however it benefits the company, not in writing, raises & promotions given via 'good ole boy' network not based on job performance

Advice to Management

After 33 years with company I developed a health problem and went on salary continuance as my benefits were supposed to allow. When company wanted me to come back to work, my doctor told them I wasn't ready to return yet, so Deere representative told me to either retire or they would fire me. So forced to retire I'm now living on about 25% of what I made while working. When I was active employee I was continually discreminated against in favor of younger male employees for raises & promotions even though I have always been rated very highly in performance reviews, and the people I provided work product for throughout the company including international contacts were highly satisfied with my work and very supportive of my efforts, including providing budget money from their division budgets to support my efforts. I'm highly dissatisfied with how I was treated after being a productive and loyal employee for 33 years.

Horrible Work Environment

Former Employee - Engineer in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Year End Bonus. Salary decent for area.

Cons

"Old Boys" network, no training for new employees, brutal performance evaluation scheme. Worked at PEC. This place is an "Old Boys" network workplace where back stabbing is rewarded. New employees are thrown in to sink or swim. Management requires a fanatical devotion to the product at the expense of all else including family; although the official line is "Family First". New employees recieve no relevant training. You are thrown into a brutal employee performance evaluation system where the number of "goals" exceeds what is impossible to obtain unless one devotes 24/7 to John Deere. This limits merit increases to save the company money, even though profits are at a record level.

Great place to work if you knew the right people!

Former Employee - Assembler in Horicon, WI

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was the only pro for this job.

Cons

Lack of work-life balance. Almost always on overtime. No benefits. Union doesn't do anything for suplemental employees. Union dues every month. No room for advancement to other positions. If you want to move to another department a core employee gets first dibs. Only get two days of PTO. Point system(once you accumulate five points you get terminated. takes a year for those to reset)

Advice to Management

Make everyone full time employees and get rid of suplementals.

Assembler

Former Employee - Assembler in Horicon, WI

I worked at John Deere (More than 3 years)

Pros

USED to be the pay was the only good thing about this job but that's not even true anymore with the new contract-WAY to low for how hard you work

Cons

Have to pay $100 in union dues EVERY MONTH just to be able to work there and the union will tell you to your face that they do NOT do anything to help supplemental employees! NO job security-NO insurance-NO vacation-NO profit sharing-NO personal/sick-NO raises-NO RESPECT but all the while working next to core employees that get ALL of the above and rubbing your face in it.......they get all the benefits and thousands in profit sharing checks even though you work 3 times harder plus supplementals can't work more than 7 months out of a year than they lay you off for 4 months, if you like working your ass off for a company that will chew you up and spit you out, replacing you tomorrow than this job is for you

Advice to Management

Get a clue

Curmudgeons steeped in politics, cliques, and old management styles

Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Once upon a time they had good benefits. Name brand still carries some weight.

Cons

Very political, so don't count on any advancement due to your work ethic. Middle management are head-cases, who believe they have more power than they do, and like enforcing what they do have on their minions. Those same managers are simply shuffled around with new titles to gain additional income and feed their egos. No room for mid-career entrants...they are not viewed in the same light as those who have only worked for Deere. It's the proverbial "rise to the level of your incompetence" mode there. Unfortunately, those company "lifers" have no clue what the rest of the working world looks like because they've never been out in it. A very toxic environment, where new ideas are not welcome, people are kept down, and the only daily discussion is how much longer each employee has until they can retire.

Advice to Management

Quit thinking you are the only company that can employ people, and advertising your "awards" for how great you treat your employees while the exact opposite is true. Get competent middle management that actually cares for people other than themselves, and teach them that ideas are welcome from everyone. Value your employees and give them a reason to want to work there, rather than creating an environment where people are forced to feel it is a "privilege" to be there. And give employees a REAL path for career development rather than lip service.

Discrimnatory & not an inclusive environment

Former Employee - Machine Maintenance Technician (Skilled Trade) in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a growth opportunity at the Waterloo facilities. Most coworkers are very welcoming to new employees. Great benefits. Some management believes in a diverse and inclusive company.

Cons

Lack of knowledge of what a diverse and inclusive environment is although they advertise that they welcome all diverse people. Supervisors lack knowledge of how to deal with discrimnatory harassment. Human Resources in Waterloo also tries to cover up the fact some of their Supervisors fail to do their job and keep employees safe from harassment. Some Supervisors are guilty of harassment and a hostile work environment also. The Waterloo Foundry has a history of discrimnatory harassment (Articles can be found in the Waterloo Courier) and Human Resources and Supervisors at that facility fail to do anything about it. Certain Supervisors go against John Deere policy to find their right employee.

Advice to Management

Learn to be more aware of looking out for harassment. Learn to be much more approachable and not hostile. Learn more about the rights that at-will employees do have and follow those laws and be honest to new employees. There are great Supervisors at Deeres, but there are some that abuse the power and the priveledges that are given to them.

RSS Feed </> Embed