John Deere

Updated March 6, 2015
3.7

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 78 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • As much as they preach its importance, forget about work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

John Deere, ULC - Canadian Head office

I worked at John Deere

Pros

resigning From the job, and telling them off

Cons

Dealing with management, unable to tell the truth

(Note: this review is about the Charlotte location) Use Charlotte location ONLY as a point of entry to the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

Deere itself is a great company to work for; very ethical and innovative. They have big goals and a plan to achieve them.

Cons

Charlotte location (Sunbelt Outdoor Products) is its own little bubble. Deere never wiped out the old leadership that was in place before the company was bought, so there is no Deere culture or Deere values in place. No cross-functional partnership, a lot of sandbagging, unreasonable expectations for low pay. Use this as an entry-point to get to another location...don't plan on staying very long. In the words of another employee: "don't let this place skew your view of Deere...this is not anything like a Deere facility."

To Deere management - you screwed up this one big time. The place should be a Deere location, but instead is still run by the old guard and feels like a mom and pop shop.

Terrible

I worked at John Deere

Pros

If you are lucky middle management moves to a new job after a couple years. You are screwed if they stick around longer because most likely they are incompetent and have no people skills.

Cons

Name something it probably is a con.

Do everyone a favor and fire yourself pinheads.

Good benefits poor work conditions training and management

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Benefits pension salary employees get big bonus and better benefitsthan wage

Cons

Inexperienced management poor treatment male dominated workforce

Work on team work collaboration education and training

The most closed minded and incestuous company in America

Former Employee - Global Director in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Global Director in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Has a competitive salary for the industry

Cons

VERY closed minded.....does NOT appreciate new or outside of Deere thinking
    Only appreciate people who grew up in the John Deere culture.
    Only promotes people who are 3rd or 4th generation Deere people....

GET A CLUE" you cannot continue as a closed, Moline-only based company.
    Change out those multi-generational old-school leaders from the Quad Cities...they prevent new thinking, and new blood.

Rely on contingent workers

I worked at John Deere

Pros

The company will demand your heart and soul. It's all smoke and mirrors. The company profits off the back of contingents and outsourced workers.

Cons

Misclassification of workers should be investigated by the IRS.

Your greed will be the demise of John Deere

Contingent Positions Are Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None to speak of at this time.

Cons

The way contingent works are treated is completely UNethical at the Cedar Falls location, the Product Engineering Center.

The Cons Outweigh the Pros

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Moline, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Both of my internships provided me with great experience in the Accounting function. The benefits were good.

Cons

The majority of the employees at John Deere are too afraid to be harsh. Both of my managers failed to provide me with feedback. Being that I was an intern, my purpose was to learn as much as I could during the summer so I could be prepared to take on a full time position. Both years, my managers waited until the very end of my internship to give any real feedback.(despite the fact that I sat at their desks daily constantly asking them if I can improve on ANYTHING, whether its was my projects or just my professional demeanor) Whenever I asked them, they would tell, "You doing great; just finish up your projects." My second manager went as far as to tell me that I "disappointed her with my performance." The worst part was she did not even have it in her to tell me that she didn't recommend me for a full-time position (I'm graduating in the spring); I learned that information from her boss's boss, whom I networked with throughout my internship.

Also, the company was not really diverse, especially in "nowhere" areas like Dubuque, Waterloo, etc.

Lastly, the firm (despite stating that they care deeply about family) is EXTREMELY hesitate to place people that they recruit near their families. I, as well as many of my coworkers are from the Northeast. We grew up in cities and suburbs. Despite having multiple locations on the northeast, Deere placed us in the Midwest where there are no cities; just farms and corn. Then people are surprised to learn that we don't enjoy our internships and full time positions.

Please enforce managers to be more stringent and critical with performance reviews because that is how people truly develop. Had my manager provide me with harsh criticism, I would have been able to develop myself better professionally.

Also, if Deere wishes to retain more of its employees, it should do better in relocation; while many people would be open to new experiences, Deere should understand that, for people like me who have no family ties except on the East Coast, being in the Midwest is honestly draining. While making new friends isn't difficult, getting homesick happened often for me.

Working at John Deere Technology center India, pune

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, No work pressures,very big company.no dead lines for projects.very good systems(performance management/ internal job postings) and polices. But Managers and HR misuse them very intelligently.

Cons

If you always agree with your managers and keep them happy all the time then you will get good performance rating, promotions.

But problem is managers are mediocre having less or no knowledge of subject matter , technical or people skills. so do not understand what is right so they choose what is easy for them.

Projects do not finish on time, do not have clear idea what and How they want to achieve goals. Too much misuse of resources and time.

Managers have too much powers.

Select right people for managerial positions. senior leadership has to keep watch on managers and need to control them.

Poor career prospects at JDTCI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OEM
    Good global vision for company

Cons

Lot of politics in JDTCI, everybody working only for his growth at expense of other's career opportunities
    At any level people use recommendations & influence of others to get work done