John Deere Reviews

627 reviews filtered by

1. Summer Intern in the Engine Controls Unit Group

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Waterloo, IA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at John Deere was extremely helpful and genuine. As an intern, provided various training opportunities (week long GD&T training, Diesel engine basics course, etc) that really enriched the experience.

Cons

Waterloo, IA doesnt have much going on

Keep running the intern program this same way!

2. Part-Time student

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Good-work life balance., Good training

Cons

Compesation, Fluctuations in Ag markets has huge impact on company

Keep good work

Terrible place to work but great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Pay benefits and job security are the best in the area.

Cons

Takes an unbelievable amount of time and resources to get something simple done. Tons of meetings, a lot of which don't have clear agenda. Lots of politics and ladder climbers.incompetent guys with advanced degrees succeed not guys who are highly capable. This is the 3rd large company I have worked for as an engineer and hands down the worst. It is considered a highly ethical company however my manager has put me in several unethical situations. My experience had been an absolute nightmare. Wish I would have never accepted a position.

Too many managers with poor management skills.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Ankeny, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits & Salary
    Passionate People
    Meaningful Work
    Flexibility
    Career Growth
    International Company

Cons

Work Over 40 Hrs/Wk
    Management Heavy
    Political

Need to let underperformers go. It's said to be almost impossible to be fired from Deere. Maintain work flexibility options (part-time, flex time, etc) even when in a downturn.

6. Tool Designer

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Very organized company. Very good database and design software. Very good machining facilities. Very helpful employees. Very good mentoring and training.

Cons

Too many lay offs due to poor profits in 2014 and 2015.

Overall good company to work for.

John Deere

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong and stable company with core business which is Big Agriculture in North American.

Cons

Very weak positions in Europe, China, India, and Brazil. These are all emerging markets that John has to be better at. Technology-wise, the company thinks it is doing well when it is clearly 3-4 years behind competition and 5-6 years behind other technology areas.

We worked hard with very little positive feed-back.

I worked at John Deere

Pros

The company paid well. We had extremely good benefits. The people that were there to work, worked hard. We were offered a lot of overtime and I took as much as was offered me.

Cons

The vacation time that you earned, needed to be taken during the company shut-down. Personal time was given at their disgression. People that didn't want to work, spent their day finding things to make them look busy. They talked on their phones, took long bathroom breaks and work breaks. The instructions that one supervisor gave to do your job would be changed by another supervisor.

The people that are working for you have families, bills, and personal lives. We are there to give you the 100% that you are asking for. We see people who don't show up for work or show up late, keep their jobs while we get layed-off. I didn't miss a day or show up late even in snowstorms. I worked overtime and didn't leave early when given the chance. I am now not enjoying being layed-off while they go to work when they feel like it.

9. A welcoming company

I worked at John Deere

Pros

The people I experienced within the organization were friendly, were willing to help in your career progression and development, and valued work/life balance.

Cons

Due to Deere's size it can be difficult to accomplish things quickly. You are often waiting on others to progress. It can be isolating in your function without exposure to other areas.

(Note: this review is about the Charlotte location) Use Charlotte location ONLY as a point of entry to the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

Deere itself is a great company to work for; very ethical and innovative. They have big goals and a plan to achieve them.

Cons

Charlotte location (Sunbelt Outdoor Products) is its own little bubble. Deere never wiped out the old leadership that was in place before the company was bought, so there is no Deere culture or Deere values in place. No cross-functional partnership, a lot of sandbagging, unreasonable expectations for low pay. Use this as an entry-point to get to another location...don't plan on staying very long. In the words of another employee: "don't let this place skew your view of Deere...this is not anything like a Deere facility."

To Deere management - you screwed up this one big time. The place should be a Deere location, but instead is still run by the old guard and feels like a mom and pop shop.

Terrible

I worked at John Deere

Pros

If you are lucky middle management moves to a new job after a couple years. You are screwed if they stick around longer because most likely they are incompetent and have no people skills.

Cons

Name something it probably is a con.

Do everyone a favor and fire yourself pinheads.