John Deere Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.9

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 55 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I would HIGHLY suggest not taking a contingent position.

Current Employee - Prefer to Not Say  in  Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Prefer to Not Say in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

My manager has done an excellent job of helping me develop professionally. He has also been great to work for, and has done his best to help me further my career with this company. I really have no complaints toward my boss what so ever. The persons you work with are great, and there was very minimal micromanagement in my role.

Cons

Where do I start? It was noted when I first got on as a contingent that if I came in and did great work, I would easily get on. This has not been the case. Although I have received excellent reviews in my work, and had a few interviews, I still have not landed a job within Deere. The jobs I have interviewed for are given to people who are not doing the role but look good on paper, or can talk their way into the role. These are jobs I am currently doing with high reviews from my manager and others I work with. Keep in mind there are such high volumes of contingents, that they/we ALL find ourselves battling for the same position. There are very few job openings as of right now. There has also been a lot of drama in a particular section of my work area where the employees (contingent and JD) are running the show versus the actual supervisor. Although I have avoided anything to do with this scenario, it has created a lot of friction to those of us surrounding the scenario.

I also personally dealt with harassment from one employee in particular, who has been reprimanded multiple times prior. This particular employee also harassed another direct coworker of mine, and was equally as awful to her. It made it a living nightmare to go into work for the first year until she was reprimanded. She still has her job with the company. For a corporation that "prides" it self on their JD values, this seems quite the opposite? Even after speaking with HR about it and bringing up proof, the person still has kept their job.

Overall, Deere is using contingents left and right. It sounded like a great opportunity when I joined, but has not been the case. At all.

Do something about your Deere employees who are creating issues/harassing your contingent workers.

Great Benefits for those who are unionized. If you are not...RUN RUN RUN!!

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you are lucky to get a full time position this is the place to be around. Benefits and pay are great but all the stress and aggravation from the most idiotic management I've ever seen make it not worth the sacrifice.

Cons

Worst management I ever work with. They treat supplemetals employees like a coal mine workers. No vacation, No insurance, they have to came to work every saturday and the turnover is extremely high ... I've seen more than 250 faces getting fired or trowing the towel and go.

The know it all...

Not as good as it used to be.

Former Employee - Assembler  in  Horicon, WI
    Former Employee - Assembler in Horicon, WI

I worked at John Deere full-time for less than a year

Pros

Farmers think you're cool. Interesting to see how things are made.

Cons

Terrible management, only try to hire supplemental(seasonal) employees, large gap in pay and benefits between supplemental and core employees, forced to join a union, get to see all the cost-cutting that affects quality.

I can only speak about the management at JD Horicon Works. Be honest and upfront with your employees. I eventually stopped believing anything management told me because they would always change their stories or pass the blame to someone else when things would fall apart.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality of the experience depends entirely on who you happen to work for

Current Employee - Product Engineer
    Current Employee - Product Engineer

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I recommend this company only because so many alternatives are worse.
    I used to love coming to work. Now I hate it. I was in the top 2% of performers a couple years ago, but now I'm in the bottom 1% (on purpose). All because of who I work for and the structure of the surrounding organization.

Cons

The latest HR kick is trying to satisfy disgruntled engineers by offering a "Knowledge Leadership Path". This tries to prove that a technical career path is possible. Too bad the folks responsible for head count keep saying "oh, but we're not actually putting staff in those areas".

Ppffft...Enough with the corporate fads already. Start actually thinking and managing rather than listening to the most popular Dilbert comic of the week.

I am activly looking for work elsewhere. I'm still here because I'm picky about location, and because the offers I've received haven't been quite good enough to introduce me to "the devil I don't know". The compensation offered has been higher though....

I love browsing the online job ads at work! Just to show you how much I care!

It is an OKAY company

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee Engagement.
    Work culture and values.
    Work life balance.
    Other benefits.

Cons

The advantage of the company is its biggest disadvantage.
    Management and people only run after the engagement but not after work.
    So, those who make a good image in the book of their manages get promoted easily, and those sweating out to do good work are not so benefited.

Secondly, they focus so much on a person's attire that they do not look after the work that the person is doing. The management should understand that the new generation is here and hence they should not press so much on having a very very formal attire.

Thirdly, the IJP process is not so fair in the organization. The management has taken steps to correct the process but still the change is not so visible.

Finally, your career can take leaps ahead only if you are on a good term with your manager. Rest, anything doesn't matter.

Management should itself get engaged in the work rather than promoting the employee engagement activities.

If you look for responsabilities and personal initiatives, it's not the place to be

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary was descent and the general athmosphere was friendly. Trainings are quite regular and management respects the work/life balance as home office is accepted.
    Lot of travels.

Cons

As a sales manager, I had the feeling that I was working for a big administration with so many reporting levels. The management is very top / down and personal initiatives are not valued at all. We could call it a "control freak management" and you just feel you are a number amongst the 60000 others. As a consequence the structure is very slow to answer the market. I thought American companies were more into participative management, but I guess I was wrong. Procedures are your daily life and you clearly feel underemployed.
    As a carrier booster, it looked quite hard to evolve quickly in the structure, due to a lot of politics inside the company and the difficulties to show your qualities because of all the bureaucracy.

Consider your employees and customers as real actors of the business. Don't ask people to focuse on customers when the implicite message is "focus on the shareholder".
    More trust is needed and also a more bottom up management.

openly admits to marginalizing contract employees.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

No micromanagement
    Plenty of latitude for doing my work
    Willing to listen to new ideas

Cons

The biggest con I have with this company, is I came to work for them as a contract employee. While there, I saw that they company had training classes; however, they were very adamant about preventing contracted employees from attending these training sessions. The crazy thing with this is they could have two people of the same positions (project managers) and one receive training and the other not. I asked about setting up similar opportunities for contracted employees, and the company said commented that they don't want contract employees engaged in training because they might feel like part of the deere family. I mentioned the relationship between quality of work and workers who feel marginalized... they didn't mind. I have worked there for two years and a blown away at, not the lack of care for the contracted employees, but the efforts they take to create and maintain marginalization. I have heard similar thing from company employees a well...

invest in the populous, not the leadership... please understand that effective leadership requires effective followers. The investment should be in the followers and from there you should find leaders. You are placing the "leader" title on managers and there is a vast difference in management and leadership. I have seen your flyers and posters around the facility.... they all preach to management yet label themselves as leadership..???

It was ok

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time

Pros

Lot of responsibility and freedom

Cons

Culture and values are questionable

As a contractor I was discriminated against and treated like a second class citizen as a transgender woman.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Once you are hired you are set for life regardless of your behavior or performance

Cons

You can be the most talented, ambitious skilled employee to ever walk the face of the earth but they will not hire you to direct status unless you have a BS degree.

Your divisions use different SAP systems and your Supply Management groups are not aligned with consistent methodology.

Culture and Value

Former Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Pune (India)

I worked at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ambition of TCI in pune to become one of the best organisation,but they are loosing the basic ground itself while doing so.

Cons

one of the worst company to believe in management, initially it will be good, once you show your competencies better than your TCI manager,you need to put lost of butter to the manager to keep him happy, if your manager is not happy with you, you will be thrown to trash,Manager has given complete control to unit and he works like as we are contingent employee, I never felt like I am working in a johndeere,I always feel, I work for unit and make them happy. They treat us like a contingent employee because my manager wants to keep them happy and they don’t bother employee’s growth and well-being.

Managers don’t connect to the team members, he only gives his opinion on feedback and even he influences the feedback from the unit based on his plans, manager never interacts on what kind of project I am working and what kind of difficulty I am facing and absolute there is not mentorship to individual, there is a lot of cultural change in the john Deere at TCI, that too particularly working for particular unit. Manager targets and harasses based on his personal plan and his growth and fixes the employees based on his plot.

Please dont promote the people who are not worth for their job, managers even dont even know what they need to in their roles, just they are like watchmen or security guards for the employees.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!