John Deere Reviews

Review of experience at John Deere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Pleasant work environment, appropriate holiday time off

Cons

Treat employees with distrust & disrespect, 'rules' change however it benefits the company, not in writing, raises & promotions given via 'good ole boy' network not based on job performance

Advice to Management

After 33 years with company I developed a health problem and went on salary continuance as my benefits were supposed to allow. When company wanted me to come back to work, my doctor told them I wasn't ready to return yet, so Deere representative told me to either retire or they would fire me. So forced to retire I'm now living on about 25% of what I made while working.

When I was active employee I was continually discreminated against in favor of younger male employees for raises & promotions even though I have always been rated very highly in performance reviews, and the people I provided work product for throughout the company including international contacts were highly satisfied with my work and very supportive of my efforts, including providing budget money from their division budgets to support my efforts.

I'm highly dissatisfied with how I was treated after being a productive and loyal employee for 33 years.

Fired because of 1yr old son being hospitilized for complications from Hirshsprung's Dieseaes.

Former Employee - Invoicer @ South West Office Building In East Moline, IL in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Good Pay, Very nice people to work with.

Cons

They need to be more Family orientated, and understanding to parents with disabled kids!

Advice to Management

I still don't understand why I was fired because of missing 3 days of work. My son was Ambulanced to Iowa City, completley ventalated. Please try to change the way you treat families!

Steeped in Politics and Old Management Styles

Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Good reputation in community, decent benefits, stable company, good bonuses in good years, senior management reliable, retirement benefits still available in reduced form

Cons

Lipservice to employees, no development tracks, political nightmare especially in corporate environment, poor middle management...too much concern for own preservation and advancement, not open to new ideas, micro-management, no real rewards for a job well done

Advice to Management

Put employees back on the priority list with the shareholders, quit moving inadequate middle managers around, reward good talent and good work ethic, listen to your employees

Steeped in old-school politics...a career black hole

Former Employee - Project Manager in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Used to be a decent place to work before shareholders became the sole measurement of success. Decent work hours and decent compensation for the Midwest. Not too much commute time typically. Stable company for the time-being.

Cons

A political nightmare. The same middle managers rotate around to newly "reorganized" positions. The company does not leverage or value new ideas or new talents, but say they do. They like to gain outside recognition for this, but it doesn't happen internally. Be ready for a day of frustrating, unproductive meetings that prevent you from getting your actual work done. Multiple managers with dotted line reporting provide conflicting input on your work, sending you in circles with no accomplishment, then peg you at review time for not getting things done. The focus has changed from valuing employees to valuing the shareholders. Poor morale, people stuck in the same jobs for 20+ years, and constant talk of how soon they can retire. Deere is typically the only game in town, and treats its employees as such. The "good-old-boy" network cannot be broken unless you figure out how to play the game. Political landmines everywhere, and only those in management know where they are at. If no personal growth, no real advancement opportunities, and frustrating politics are your goal, this may be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Create an open environment where new ideas and new people are valued. Eliminate the protocol and politics, and get your management to let things happen instead of trying to control everything and everyone. Put value back on the employee and their family. Clean up the stifling culture, and let things move at a reasonable pace.

John Deere is a great company, there are better places to work than in the JDAS group.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

JDAS is a division of John Deere that provides information services to the food supply chain. John Deere is a great brand and a terrific company so it is good to be part of that organization. The main benefit is being part of John Deere.

Cons

JDAS itself is mired in bureaucracy. Senior Management is disengaged, unable to make decisions, and fails to communicate with employees. For each of the past four years there have been major reorganizations, adjustments of job rankings, and shifts in strategic direction. The result is a constant state of confusion, concern, and inability to focus on the customer.

Advice to Management

Commit to a strategy and follow through. Make decisions and stand by them. Communicate with the employees: engage in the business, listen to what the issues/opporunities are, provide support and resources to get things done.

7. Product Engineer 2

I have been working at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Starting to forget why I stay. Better than many alternatives, but nothing to endorse. I suppose I could say we're sincere about pleasing customers.

Cons

Internal integrity is awful. I've been here 12 years and no HR/morale/reward/recognition promise has ever been kept. Not one. I have received my share of awards and patents and am a senior-staff level engineer by every measure......except pay grade. HR finally admits that 71% of all engineering jobs are entry level (by pay grade at least). Which means the remainder can not be awarded by merit. How can a kid with 2 yrs experience make as much as an industry recognized expert with 15 yrs?

Advice to Management

Read Dilbert. It's embarrassing.

Director Business Development

I worked at John Deere

Pros

No specific advantages to report

Cons

Pressure to conform is great

Advice to Management

Listen to the renegades!

9. Awful for software and diverse people at C&F Division

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer and Testers in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits for engineers.

Cons

Awful facilities.
    Does not value diversity. If you are a minority you are treated like garbage.
    No recognition for software design or testing.
    No promotion until you're there for >5 years
    They will dump more responsibility on you without increasing salary or grade.
    Too many good ole boys networks.
    Lots of overtime hours

Advice to Management

Get some better people skills. Just because you have an engineering degree and a MBA != you are a great manager or have great people skills.

Terrible place to work but great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Pay benefits and job security are the best in the area.

Cons

Takes an unbelievable amount of time and resources to get something simple done. Tons of meetings, a lot of which don't have clear agenda. Lots of politics and ladder climbers.incompetent guys with advanced degrees succeed not guys who are highly capable. This is the 3rd large company I have worked for as an engineer and hands down the worst. It is considered a highly ethical company however my manager has put me in several unethical situations. My experience had been an absolute nightmare. Wish I would have never accepted a position.

Advice to Management

Too many managers with poor management skills.

Great company but may require hard physical work, fast pace, long hours, stress, and some frustrating situated at time.

Current Employee - Asembler Technician in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Asembler Technician in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Bring a part of the union and all the great coworkers building the best equipment in the world. Holiday shut down, clean factory, and when the final product is finished it's a proud piece of satifaction.

Cons

Cipp equal more work less pay unrealistic line rates with amount of production workers.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers that build your products more instead of giving it to wallstreet fat cats.