John Deere Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.9

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 55 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack diversity, work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

As a contractor I was discriminated against and treated like a second class citizen as a transgender woman.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Once you are hired you are set for life regardless of your behavior or performance

Cons

You can be the most talented, ambitious skilled employee to ever walk the face of the earth but they will not hire you to direct status unless you have a BS degree.

Your divisions use different SAP systems and your Supply Management groups are not aligned with consistent methodology.

Culture and Value

Former Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Pune (India)

I worked at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ambition of TCI in pune to become one of the best organisation,but they are loosing the basic ground itself while doing so.

Cons

one of the worst company to believe in management, initially it will be good, once you show your competencies better than your TCI manager,you need to put lost of butter to the manager to keep him happy, if your manager is not happy with you, you will be thrown to trash,Manager has given complete control to unit and he works like as we are contingent employee, I never felt like I am working in a johndeere,I always feel, I work for unit and make them happy. They treat us like a contingent employee because my manager wants to keep them happy and they don’t bother employee’s growth and well-being.

Managers don’t connect to the team members, he only gives his opinion on feedback and even he influences the feedback from the unit based on his plans, manager never interacts on what kind of project I am working and what kind of difficulty I am facing and absolute there is not mentorship to individual, there is a lot of cultural change in the john Deere at TCI, that too particularly working for particular unit. Manager targets and harasses based on his personal plan and his growth and fixes the employees based on his plot.

Please dont promote the people who are not worth for their job, managers even dont even know what they need to in their roles, just they are like watchmen or security guards for the employees.

Unpredictable development path and outcome for qualified mid-career, especially if hired away from another firm.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

Benefits and pay
    Senior management (ie board of directors, etc)
    Location
    Outstanding Company Leadership
    Company is a money maker

Cons

Spotty 1st line mgmt experience level, maturity, and perspective
    Culture and to some extent company undervalue breadth and experience
    New comers may find integration challenging
    Systems and processes lack depth
    Negative energy and potential for error.
    Lacks strength in electronics and systems development
    Inexperienced culture with odd sense of entitlement
    Unpredictable development path for experienced/ midcareer

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is too structutred and does not let you do what you want to. Very process oriented. Lets the creativity go out.

Former Employee - Product Engineer  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Pune (India)

I worked at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

Established and a very well respected name
    World leader and technological advancement
    Actually best place to work in this industry

Cons

HR policies not good
    Low pay
    Very hard wired, less flexibility

Increase the salary of the employees and let them explore more. Should start a management trainee module and start hiring from the tier 1/2 MBA colleges on India to develop a talent pool.

Very old school.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Milan, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Milan, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary and benefits not much else as pros.

Cons

You are not judged on what you know but who you know and you are even sent to training for that. Very old systems. No SOP so it is impossible to know if you are doing your job correctly. Not looking for innovation just keep doing it the way we have.

Create SOP so employees can do their jobs and know that it is correct. Standardize processes.

Buddy Buddy

I have been working at John Deere part-time

Pros

Good Experience and skills to be had

Cons

Its not what you know but who you know.

Open you eyes

Ok if you want to live in the Midwest and don't care about pay

Former Employee - Computer Engineering Intern  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Computer Engineering Intern in Waterloo, IA

I worked at John Deere as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They have good values, and really care about their employees and customers. I don't think Deere lays people off due to their conservative hiring practices.

Cons

The location, the pay, the culture (very corporate). You have to wear business casual everyday, and must fill out a timecard as a salaried employee. As a computer engineer, the pay is not competitive.

Get rid of all the bureaucracy and make pay competitive.

Stagnant, closed culture finally is able to choke Deere's innovation....

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

Great 401(K), pension, which is hard to find in industry, comparable salary if bonus is added, great work-life balance

Cons

Middle management, specially in IT, is always pushing personal agenda. Future vision is cluttered with how to build an empire with people of 'my kind'. They hire people with great skillset, only to drag them into nightmare of organizational politics. So, either join their dirty backbiting politics or let yourself to disappear into oblivion or get pushed out, if you are a threat!
    The 'my kind' buddy culture does not let in any fresh perspective, even though the company boasts of international engagement. It's an ultimate hypocrite's place.......

Change in organizational culture can not come just shifting people from one business unit to another, or recycling people from in and around. No one ever could win in a strategic game like chess just moving pawn from one location to another, without executing a real game plan. It worked so far because of monopolistic market. Taking care of employee does not mean a good paycheck only. Either look hard or have only employees waiting to retire .... in the name of 'Loyalty'!

Manufacturing Engineer

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Ankeny, IA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Ankeny, IA

I worked at John Deere as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great if you are direct hire.

Cons

Sub-grade treatment as a Contract Employee.

Teat everyone the same and your product will improve in quality and employees will make sure.

John Deere in India is basically for those who would like to settle down in and around Pune

Current Employee - SAP Associate Consultant  in  Pune (India)
    Current Employee - SAP Associate Consultant in Pune (India)

I have been working at John Deere full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Quite good Salary.
    2. Quality of work is bit better compared to service industry.
    3. Company is small in India with limited presence so the growth is fast and hence there is growth of employee in terms of business and agriculture domain.

Cons

1. Marathi Centric!
    2. Lot of politics goes on behind the back. Backstabbing is a regular practice here!
    3. Managers are not that experienced and they look at the resources just as another billing machine.
    4. events for no such huge reasons.
    5. Boot licking is a common practice. Managers do expect boot licking from their sub ordinates.
    6. No process at all! No transparency in any manager's words!

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!