John Deere

Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

John Deere Chairman & CEO Samuel Allen
Samuel Allen

Pros
  • Seems to promote a work life balance-there are quite a few married couples here (in 78 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, relaxed work enviroment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • As much as they preach its importance, forget about work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of middle management, navigating of bureaucratic meetings-oriented matrix culture (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Awful

Former Employee - Parts Coordinator in Milan, IL
    Former Employee - Parts Coordinator in Milan, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary is ok. They have fun activities for employees

Cons

Intolerante and racist. The workplace can be very unfriendly

Hope they appreciate honesty

Leaves much to be desired

Former Employee - Paralegal in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary for contractors, positive work-life balance, a lot of the employees are great people.

Cons

Office culture is not ideal for young, single twenty-somethings and is fairly conservative. The Quad Cities are generally pretty awful, and the temporary contractor situation is not nearly transparent enough: they don't tell you that you will never be converted into a full-time employee without taking a mandatory 6 months off. On the surface, Deere prides itself on its ethics, but deep down that doesn't seem to really be the case.

Be as transparent as possible about the situation for temps and how you can be almost certain you won't become a full-time, permanent employee.

John Deere Management Matrix

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers competitive benefits with a nice end of year bonus. The company is stable with few layoffs for salaried staff.

Cons

Unless you work near the HQ in Moline, Il, you need to be willing to move to have good advancement opportunities.
    They use a matrix organization for many people in the company. In my experience this resulted in having very little contact with my main manager, and feeling like an outsider in the group I was assigned to. I've had very little support in understanding my job responsibilities with management expecting me to figure it out on my own. This was made more difficult due to the fact they do not have standard processes/procedures for employees to follow. I started at Deere mid-career so others who have been at Deere since the start of their career have a better idea of what needs to be done.

Foster a better relationship between manager 1's and their direct reports. Develop standard process for employees to follow to ensure a consistent design process.

Stable, Good benefits, diversity problem

I worked at John Deere

Pros

Company is Stable.
    Good Short Term and Long Term bonuses.
    Technical work is not hugely complex.
    More emphasis on QA.

Cons

Big Diversity and Inclusion problem.
    Hard to establish new ideas.

Please be more diverse and inclusive from the heart, not just put that in the performance review for paper work purpose.
    Make sure, yearly review and performance review are maintained in reality in concert with what's written in the company's policy.

Good if you are fresher or getting a position as manager

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Pune (India)

I worked at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are lucky you will get chance to work abroad and work in real John Deere.
    Usually dotted line manager and leadership will be from US and Europe and you will learn many things from them.
    PMP certification is valued.
    You will learn how to deal with very smart competing colleagues, you will be pro in politics.
    You will see smart technical things which you can use to crack next interviews.
    Keep count of work every hour will make you more efficient.

Cons

Rat race makes everyone pull other person's leg hence bad work environment if you are in TCI.
    You get the feeling that you are either manager or nothing
    Qualification and experience is more important than gender diversity
    You will be in bad position if you have 6 years of experience and not joining as team lead or above or you joined as fresher and could not grow much in first 5 years. Your masters degree is useless then.
    Foreign opportunity takes its toll by delaying promotions, you can either get one of those.
    Work will never finish so if you want to do any external certification while on job, don't get married as the job will keep you busy for 12 hours a day considering traveling.

Recruit experienced people
    Dont put someone without any relevent experience to lead the ones who are actually WORKING

Great Benefits for those who are unionized. If you are not...RUN RUN RUN!!

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are lucky to get a full time position this is the place to be around. Benefits and pay are great but all the stress and aggravation from the most idiotic management I've ever seen make it not worth the sacrifice.

Cons

Worst management I ever work with. They treat supplemetals employees like a coal mine workers. No vacation, No insurance, they have to came to work every saturday and the turnover is extremely high ... I've seen more than 250 faces getting fired or trowing the towel and go.

The know it all...

Not as good as it used to be.

Former Employee - Assembler in Horicon, WI
    Former Employee - Assembler in Horicon, WI

I worked at John Deere full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Farmers think you're cool. Interesting to see how things are made.

Cons

Terrible management, only try to hire supplemental(seasonal) employees, large gap in pay and benefits between supplemental and core employees, forced to join a union, get to see all the cost-cutting that affects quality.

I can only speak about the management at JD Horicon Works. Be honest and upfront with your employees. I eventually stopped believing anything management told me because they would always change their stories or pass the blame to someone else when things would fall apart.

Quality of the experience depends entirely on who you happen to work for

Current Employee - Product Engineer
    Current Employee - Product Engineer

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I recommend this company only because so many alternatives are worse.
    I used to love coming to work. Now I hate it. I was in the top 2% of performers a couple years ago, but now I'm in the bottom 1% (on purpose). All because of who I work for and the structure of the surrounding organization.

Cons

The latest HR kick is trying to satisfy disgruntled engineers by offering a "Knowledge Leadership Path". This tries to prove that a technical career path is possible. Too bad the folks responsible for head count keep saying "oh, but we're not actually putting staff in those areas".

Ppffft...Enough with the corporate fads already. Start actually thinking and managing rather than listening to the most popular Dilbert comic of the week.

I am activly looking for work elsewhere. I'm still here because I'm picky about location, and because the offers I've received haven't been quite good enough to introduce me to "the devil I don't know". The compensation offered has been higher though....

I love browsing the online job ads at work! Just to show you how much I care!

It is an OKAY company

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee Engagement.
    Work culture and values.
    Work life balance.
    Other benefits.

Cons

The advantage of the company is its biggest disadvantage.
    Management and people only run after the engagement but not after work.
    So, those who make a good image in the book of their manages get promoted easily, and those sweating out to do good work are not so benefited.

Secondly, they focus so much on a person's attire that they do not look after the work that the person is doing. The management should understand that the new generation is here and hence they should not press so much on having a very very formal attire.

Thirdly, the IJP process is not so fair in the organization. The management has taken steps to correct the process but still the change is not so visible.

Finally, your career can take leaps ahead only if you are on a good term with your manager. Rest, anything doesn't matter.

Management should itself get engaged in the work rather than promoting the employee engagement activities.

openly admits to marginalizing contract employees.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at John Deere full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No micromanagement
    Plenty of latitude for doing my work
    Willing to listen to new ideas

Cons

The biggest con I have with this company, is I came to work for them as a contract employee. While there, I saw that they company had training classes; however, they were very adamant about preventing contracted employees from attending these training sessions. The crazy thing with this is they could have two people of the same positions (project managers) and one receive training and the other not. I asked about setting up similar opportunities for contracted employees, and the company said commented that they don't want contract employees engaged in training because they might feel like part of the deere family. I mentioned the relationship between quality of work and workers who feel marginalized... they didn't mind. I have worked there for two years and a blown away at, not the lack of care for the contracted employees, but the efforts they take to create and maintain marginalization. I have heard similar thing from company employees a well...

invest in the populous, not the leadership... please understand that effective leadership requires effective followers. The investment should be in the followers and from there you should find leaders. You are placing the "leader" title on managers and there is a vast difference in management and leadership. I have seen your flyers and posters around the facility.... they all preach to management yet label themselves as leadership..???