John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock
www.johnhancock.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Donald Goloien

Pros:
  • "There is definitely good work life balance and a lot of fun things to do in the area"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Good benefits, nice work life balance, good office culture, offers competitive salaries"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little feedback from senior management regarding forward career progression"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Horrible cross functionality, upper management no presence with lower level employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, terrible managers

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsPeople and atmosphere are good

ConsLousy Salaries, managers who are unrealistic

This is an outstandingly run company with plenty of opportunity for upward mobility.

Director (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsTop notch talent and innovative processes. Willing to pay for expertise and ensure training remains a high priority.

ConsNeeded a change in executive management which has occurred. Employee attitudes have improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee recommendations.

Good people but could use management and leadership training

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWork hours are reasonable and jobs are sufficiently challenging

ConsPeople in leadership or management may not have the strongest capability in using technology to make the workflow more efficient

Advice to Senior ManagementGive technical training to management and those in leadership positions to make sure they stay up to date with technology capabilities

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could've been better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGood corporate environment and in general everyone is friendly and willing to help

ConsDepending on your job position it might not be as exciting or rewarding as one might think

Sales Agent-Life, Auto and Bonds

Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Union, NJ

ProsThird Ranked Insurance Co. at the time. Substantial initial income(1st 6 mo.) and excellent working tools and environment.

ConsCommissions withrawn from Pool if custumers denounced contractbefore the period of one year (which was not specicified upon employement)

JH is a great place to work and grow professionally.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsVery talented, educated, ethical people who have genuine passion for the business.

ConsOrganizational mixed messages around risk taking may slow progress.

Needs to improve

Client Account Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFor an international company, it has a strong commitment the US Market and is financially sound. During these tough times, the company has does well and is stable. John Hancock is a sound company.

ConsThe company clearly lacks vision, purpose and does not have a clear sense of direction. It is always reorganizing, but has no purpose. The US Insurance Division is poorly run, does not offer a diversity of insurance products other than Life and Long term Care. It needs more insurance products that can relate to one another and help expand their business. One day the company is selling the product, next day it pulls the products off the market, totally unstable because they are financially unsound. This is causing so much instability for the employees, clients and the brand, The company needs clear focus, direction fast or good employees are thinking of walking or will be walking.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together, decide what you want, then make it happen. The way the latest reorganization was handle, was shameful and caused so much unease with the employees, it is unforgivable. You talk about professionalism, but your actions say otherwise.

Overworked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat name on a resume and I learned a lot

ConsWorked crazy hours, pulled in a million different directions never got the opportunity to do what I thought I was there to do

Manulife ruined John Hancock

Information Technology (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGood pay, good benefits, nice co-workers. Great training center (if you have any free time to attend classes). Mostly bright people working there.

ConsTerrible management structure - restructuring certain departments is basically a yearly thing. Too many meetings that accomplish nothing, other than waste your day. Old computer equipment, and terrible email system forced on JH by Manulife. Too much outsourcing, and then taking things back in house, and repeat. Bad communications - you find out about new policy or upcoming things at the water cooler, rather than through your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reshuffling chairs on the Titanic. Switch to a better email system. Communicate better with employees. Sometimes common sense should win out over shareholder value.

401k division

Retirement Plan Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCompany has great brand name recognition. They spend a lot of money training their employees.

ConsThey just really try to overwork their employees and when I was there management was a mess. Typical setup of managers typically getting in the way of getting business done. They had a horrible metric system that gave dumb arbitrary numbers that you had to hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the goals of the wholesalers exactly the same as management thus both will have an incentive to align their goals.

Worked for John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock? Contribute to the Community!

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Videos

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's forefathers and the inspiration for our company, has long stood for integrity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock CEO Donald Goloien. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock employees.