John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock
www.johnhancock.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Donald Goloien

Pros:
  • "There is definitely good work life balance and a lot of fun things to do in the area"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Good benefits, nice work life balance, good office culture, offers competitive salaries"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little feedback from senior management regarding forward career progression"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Horrible cross functionality, upper management no presence with lower level employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Soon to have a one year anniversary with John Hancock Life

Senior Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Company with fabulous employee benefits - BCBS health insurance from day 1; vacations, sick days and person leave from day 1; pension plan vested in 3 years; 401K available after 90 days.
    The Staff that I work with are all very talented and knowledgeable. The Customer Service and New Business Department personnel are all very pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable.

ConsI love working for John Hancock Life. It is truly a great American Company that just happens to be owned by some very nice Canadians.

Annuities CSR

Annuities Representative (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsJH is full of very professional and helpful people. Their extensive training in the beginning made it very easy to transition into the first day on call.

ConsThe annuities department is currently not writing anymore new business making it difficult for job growth within the department.

Internal Wholesaler at John Hancock

ProsI love the people at John Hancock. I also love their Boston headquarters right in the Seaport district. There is definitely good work life balance and a lot of fun things to do in the area. I also go to the gym every day at lunch which has made me such a healthier person and so much easier to fit working out into my life. I don't know what I would do if I could only go before work or after work.

ConsIn my position, you have to move in order to get ahead.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Actuarial

Actuary Co-op (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe site is located next to boston harbor, very beautiful place, I would say this building is located in one of the best place in Boston. Their actuary department offers classes and resources which help you get through all the actuary exams. Very competitive salary.

ConsAs a actuary working in a big company like John Hancock, it usually take years to move up. It's a very long process to complete all the requirements and acturial exams.

Organized Professional work environment

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsStructured well managed environment. Great benefits.

ConsLocation - Unless you live near a T stop the commute is difficult. Parking is extremely expensive, commuter rail is 3rd world at best, unreliable, filthy and expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep dn doing the same great job.

Cohesive

Junior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat Employer with a real tie to the community. Everyone is incredibly helpful. Upper management works well with their direct reports. Very communal atmosphere.

ConsSlow paced environment industry . The different business were traditionally very isolated from each other. there are remnants of that structure, but things are beginning to unify.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Hard work and a strong work ethic enabled me to achieve an outstanding level of performance.

Office Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsA company that allows one to succeed and reach high levels of success.
    A company that values its workforce and rewards for hard work.
    A company that treats its retiree population with dignity and respect.
    A company that leads in community outreach services.

ConsJohn Hancock does not have a major presence in Dallas, Texas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on associates and reward them for the contributions they make to maintain a professional workforce.

Rewarding experience

ProsVery competitive environment that challenges and forces you to want to do well.

Conssome people there can be pretentious at times

Good Career Choice

Director (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI was able to work on many types of technology projects over a decade. The long term employees have a very warm culture. Over the years, I have seen many people retire after 30+ years of service. Very uncommon given the current IT culture. Good solid performance is always recognized and rewarded. Management is willing to promote younger employees to high responsibility positions based on performance.

ConsTechnical careers have a clear dead end. Only management roles have a good career growth options. Having head office in Toronto makes it difficult to get exposure to higher management. Most of the technical work has gone to off-shore companies. Rest of the work is taken up by on-site offshore resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse industry best practices but always be open to customize them to suit the needs of the individual business unit or the total enterprise. Use more open source technologies to reduce costs and improve technology currency.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsFlexible with my schedule and the people are very helpful.

ConsThey did not pay at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to give college interns minimum wage salary.

Worked for John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock? Contribute to the Community!

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Videos

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's forefathers and the inspiration for our company, has long stood for integrity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock CEO Donald Goloien. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock employees.