John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock

www.johnhancock.com

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Donald Goloien

Pros
  • There is definitely good work life balance and a lot of fun things to do in the area (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice work life balance, good office culture, offers competitive salaries (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little feedback from senior management regarding forward career progression (in 5 reviews)

• Horrible cross functionality, upper management no presence with lower level employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

John Hancock is a good company

Reporting Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery professional, good base pay and bonus, competive

Consmay changes during my tenure, turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company to work for.

Long-Term Care Internal Wholesaler

Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsA great team of people to work with! Received a very generous comp package and amazing benefits as well. Truly felt like a place that valued their employees. Was able to be self sufficient in my day to day job while knowing that coaching/mentoring was always available if needed.

ConsExecutive management was not as committed to the business unit and didn't seem to be as invested as the employees were. This led to the closing of a site and layoff of about 150 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that the superior service and name recognition that you have built was on the backs of many qualified employees.

Soon to have a one year anniversary with John Hancock Life

Senior Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Company with fabulous employee benefits - BCBS health insurance from day 1; vacations, sick days and person leave from day 1; pension plan vested in 3 years; 401K available after 90 days.
    The Staff that I work with are all very talented and knowledgeable. The Customer Service and New Business Department personnel are all very pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable.

ConsI love working for John Hancock Life. It is truly a great American Company that just happens to be owned by some very nice Canadians.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Annuities CSR

Annuities Representative (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

ProsJH is full of very professional and helpful people. Their extensive training in the beginning made it very easy to transition into the first day on call.

ConsThe annuities department is currently not writing anymore new business making it difficult for job growth within the department.

Internal Wholesaler at John Hancock

ProsI love the people at John Hancock. I also love their Boston headquarters right in the Seaport district. There is definitely good work life balance and a lot of fun things to do in the area. I also go to the gym every day at lunch which has made me such a healthier person and so much easier to fit working out into my life. I don't know what I would do if I could only go before work or after work.

ConsIn my position, you have to move in order to get ahead.

Actuarial

Actuary Co-op (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe site is located next to boston harbor, very beautiful place, I would say this building is located in one of the best place in Boston. Their actuary department offers classes and resources which help you get through all the actuary exams. Very competitive salary.

ConsAs a actuary working in a big company like John Hancock, it usually take years to move up. It's a very long process to complete all the requirements and acturial exams.

Organized Professional work environment

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStructured well managed environment. Great benefits.

ConsLocation - Unless you live near a T stop the commute is difficult. Parking is extremely expensive, commuter rail is 3rd world at best, unreliable, filthy and expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep dn doing the same great job.

Cohesive

Junior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat Employer with a real tie to the community. Everyone is incredibly helpful. Upper management works well with their direct reports. Very communal atmosphere.

ConsSlow paced environment industry . The different business were traditionally very isolated from each other. there are remnants of that structure, but things are beginning to unify.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Hard work and a strong work ethic enabled me to achieve an outstanding level of performance.

Office Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA company that allows one to succeed and reach high levels of success.
    A company that values its workforce and rewards for hard work.
    A company that treats its retiree population with dignity and respect.
    A company that leads in community outreach services.

ConsJohn Hancock does not have a major presence in Dallas, Texas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on associates and reward them for the contributions they make to maintain a professional workforce.

Rewarding experience

ProsVery competitive environment that challenges and forces you to want to do well.

Conssome people there can be pretentious at times

Worked for John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock? Contribute to the Community!