John Hancock Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.5

Donald Goloien

Pros
  • There is definitely good work life balance and a lot of fun things to do in the area (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice work life balance, good office culture, offers competitive salaries (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little feedback from senior management regarding forward career progression (in 5 reviews)

• Horrible cross functionality, upper management no presence with lower level employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Workplace with Good Benefits but Little Excitement

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company boasts great benefits overall. Generous tuition assistance, 401K matching, pension, and health benefits. They also offer more vacation than the typical company depending on your job grade and seniority. The work/life balance excellent. The company implemented a new policy to allow employees to work from home up to three days a week. The workload is very manageable and the stress is low.

Cons

There is a fair amount of cynicism among the rank and file. Many people have been with the company for a decade or more, which can leave the place feeling stale and set in its ways. An entrenched bureaucracy makes doing even simple tasks a major undertaking. It seems like each business unit within the company exists in its own silo, making it difficult to get visibility into the organization as a whole. Communication with outside vendors is often a difficult and frustrating process. There is little emphasis on career growth and development.

Amazing team that cares for you

Former Employee - E-commerce Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - E-commerce Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Professional and friendly office culture.
    Team that cares for your success.
    Open to suggestions.
    Many opportunities to grow and advance.
    Flexibility to switch roles and careers within the company.

Cons

Corporate and uptight.
    Sometimes inefficient due to corporate bureaucracy.

Great experience!

I worked at John Hancock full-time

Pros

The people were excellent to work with!

Cons

Not all employees have flexible time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaotic Company

Current Employee - Senior Auditor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good cafeteria, on-site gym exercise and quarterly healthy check with $20 cash reward

Cons

Never ending reorganization. Joined last summer. The director who hired me left the company in March 2014 and 3 months later, his boss left the company as well. In between, a new director was hired and worked for 3 weeks and left. So, in less than a year, our team lost 3 bosses.

Mismatch employee’s experience and skill set. Despite the employees have extensive experience in certain areas; assign the employees to work in areas that they did not have prior experience. On top of that, they did not allow new hires to go through expected learning curve in the areas that they did not have prior experience. No support and no guidance when new hires were on their very first task, gave new hires bad performance review for the expected learning curve after engagement.

Certain managers were unable to provide guidance to their subordinates in many cases. When they do provide guidance, those instructions turned out to be mostly incorrect. However, they would like to assign blame for things went wrong to their subordinates who executed X.Y.Z based the manager’s incorrect instructions. When subordinates pointed out apparently unfair practice, subordinates were put on documented performance improvement for bad attitude. In short, when managers were right, they were right; when managers wrong, they were right too. They make them right by using imbalanced position power.

Using 360 degree review instead of just manager review subordinate.
    Listen to employee’s feed back once a while.

Good company

I have been working at John Hancock

Pros

Huge company with many potential career paths. A very robust volunteering program, as long as you have a supportive manager.

Cons

Very conservative and rigid structure. Advancement can be at a slow pace. Business units are inconsistent regarding culture.

More informal communication from senior management will go a long way.

Be Wary

Former Employee - Leadership  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Leadership in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for less than a year

Pros

Better titles than comparable insurance companies in Boston and generally more competitive pay especially for high performers. Some great people with a lot of talent, especially in US Finance and Actuarial. There appear to be good opportunities as a global company, but not sure how available these are outside the US for US employees.

Cons

Generally poor executive leadership, making it challenging to transition in especially when the organization is going through change. Leadership communication is generally very weak and very hierarchical. The politics are very passive aggressive and indirect. Many mid level managers are afraid to have an opinion or even lead for fear of upsetting leadership. There are hours of orchestrated meetings just to debrief with executive, after hours of one-off meetings to reach agreement and action. There is lot of pressure to deliver very complex work with poor communication and executive direction. This leads to a lot of resistance and generally dysfunctional behaviors especially with long-standing employees. Instead of direct discussion, my manager was prone to speak very negatively behind the back of her executive, peers and reports. This is behavior bred by the corporate environment.

I left a stable 5 year job for a promotion and more performance pay in a newly created role. I should have been warned by the seven months to finalize the hire and overall HR process issues. Three months later, I was terminated with no specific feedback or warning from my manager, other than not a cultural fit which is used consistently when their is not a good reason (management cop out). In fact, I had positive feedback in a group setting on my collaboration in pushing forward some efforts from one of her peers just before my termination. I also received positive feedback on my movement up a very steep learning curve, just beginning to make some traction. I received a warning from a peer on my manager's tactics and political environment, only days before the termination, and just before this individual left the group for another role (the third such move in this team since my entrance). I was replacing a very talented individual looking for a new role and later pushed out in a very poor manner for morale. This was difficult for him and very difficult in terms of the team's perception of my role. I later learned that the type of role I was entering had significant turnover in the past few years.

In the end, another head needed to be cut in our group and I was easy given the 3 month probation clause in the standard employment contract. It is possible that the intent all along was to use me as a temp resource to transition out the existing employee who was moving on while the organization was working through change. Bad business practice. Before joining a corporate role, please do your homework and understand the probation clauses in the contract.

Need to do a much better job transitioning new hires into the company especially given the challenging environment and politics cross border. Executives need to better engage technical specialists in decision-making and leverage experience they hire from outside. The environment needs to encourage leadership which means allowing opinions and mistakes with direct feedback. Executives should be held more accountable for their own communications and actions, if the company hopes to fill growing leadership gaps. It is outrageous for them to use the probation period for "do-overs" while have no tolerance as their employees try to navigate.

Big Institution with a lot of bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the brand name is recognizable, the location is nice,

Cons

modern building, outdated management style, more importance is given to sales and marketing departments.

Embrace 21st century management styles, reduce bureaucracy and increase collaboration between departments.

investment analyst

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

depending on business unit can be rewording

Cons

depending on business units can be underpaid

Great people, nonexistant promotions, old technology (Lotus Notes email)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best people I have ever worked with and the company will pay for education. Which you will need when looking for another job. If you are one of the lucky few you will be exposed to, and get to work with, some good technology. Good stepping stone but not a long term plan. Work from home is good.

Cons

Low starting salaries, then you have to fight like wounded animal to get a promotion. Unless you get lucky with your manager because some do give promotions. But it's a crap shoot. If you don't get a good manager you have no future. Best to just leave. They use Lotus Notes email. Join the modern world. It's not the '60s anymore.

Hire some decent programmers. You will get your money back with reduced support and downtime. One agent had software that was broken for 3 months.

John Hancock is a good company

Former Employee - Reporting Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Reporting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very professional, good base pay and bonus, competive

Cons

may changes during my tenure, turnover

Great company to work for.

Worked for John Hancock? Contribute to the Community!