John Hancock

Employer Engaged

Long-Term Care Internal Wholesaler

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at John Hancock full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great team of people to work with! Received a very generous comp package and amazing benefits as well. Truly felt like a place that valued their employees. Was able to be self sufficient in my day to day job while knowing that coaching/mentoring was always available if needed.

Cons

Executive management was not as committed to the business unit and didn't seem to be as invested as the employees were. This led to the closing of a site and layoff of about 150 employees.

Don't forget that the superior service and name recognition that you have built was on the backs of many qualified employees.

John Hancock is a good company

Former Employee - Reporting Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Reporting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very professional, good base pay and bonus, competive

Cons

may changes during my tenure, turnover

Great company to work for.

Chaotic Company

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good cafeteria, on-site gym exercise and quarterly healthy check with $20 cash reward

Cons

Never ending reorganization. Joined last summer. The director who hired me left the company in March 2014 and 3 months later, his boss left the company as well. In between, a new director was hired and worked for 3 weeks and left. So, in less than a year, our team lost 3 bosses.

Mismatch employee’s experience and skill set. Despite the employees have extensive experience in certain areas; assign the employees to work in areas that they did not have prior experience. On top of that, they did not allow new hires to go through expected learning curve in the areas that they did not have prior experience. No support and no guidance when new hires were on their very first task, gave new hires bad performance review for the expected learning curve after engagement.

Certain managers were unable to provide guidance to their subordinates in many cases. When they do provide guidance, those instructions turned out to be mostly incorrect. However, they would like to assign blame for things went wrong to their subordinates who executed X.Y.Z based the manager’s incorrect instructions. When subordinates pointed out apparently unfair practice, subordinates were put on documented performance improvement for bad attitude. In short, when managers were right, they were right; when managers wrong, they were right too. They make them right by using imbalanced position power.

Using 360 degree review instead of just manager review subordinate.
    Listen to employee’s feed back once a while.

Be Wary

Former Employee - Leadership in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Leadership in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Better titles than comparable insurance companies in Boston and generally more competitive pay especially for high performers. Some great people with a lot of talent, especially in US Finance and Actuarial. There appear to be good opportunities as a global company, but not sure how available these are outside the US for US employees.

Cons

Generally poor executive leadership, making it challenging to transition in especially when the organization is going through change. Leadership communication is generally very weak and very hierarchical. The politics are very passive aggressive and indirect. Many mid level managers are afraid to have an opinion or even lead for fear of upsetting leadership. There are hours of orchestrated meetings just to debrief with executive, after hours of one-off meetings to reach agreement and action. There is lot of pressure to deliver very complex work with poor communication and executive direction. This leads to a lot of resistance and generally dysfunctional behaviors especially with long-standing employees. Instead of direct discussion, my manager was prone to speak very negatively behind the back of her executive, peers and reports. This is behavior bred by the corporate environment.

I left a stable 5 year job for a promotion and more performance pay in a newly created role. I should have been warned by the seven months to finalize the hire and overall HR process issues. Three months later, I was terminated with no specific feedback or warning from my manager, other than not a cultural fit which is used consistently when their is not a good reason (management cop out). In fact, I had positive feedback in a group setting on my collaboration in pushing forward some efforts from one of her peers just before my termination. I also received positive feedback on my movement up a very steep learning curve, just beginning to make some traction. I received a warning from a peer on my manager's tactics and political environment, only days before the termination, and just before this individual left the group for another role (the third such move in this team since my entrance). I was replacing a very talented individual looking for a new role and later pushed out in a very poor manner for morale. This was difficult for him and very difficult in terms of the team's perception of my role. I later learned that the type of role I was entering had significant turnover in the past few years.

In the end, another head needed to be cut in our group and I was easy given the 3 month probation clause in the standard employment contract. It is possible that the intent all along was to use me as a temp resource to transition out the existing employee who was moving on while the organization was working through change. Bad business practice. Before joining a corporate role, please do your homework and understand the probation clauses in the contract.

Need to do a much better job transitioning new hires into the company especially given the challenging environment and politics cross border. Executives need to better engage technical specialists in decision-making and leverage experience they hire from outside. The environment needs to encourage leadership which means allowing opinions and mistakes with direct feedback. Executives should be held more accountable for their own communications and actions, if the company hopes to fill growing leadership gaps. It is outrageous for them to use the probation period for "do-overs" while have no tolerance as their employees try to navigate.

Great people, nonexistant promotions, old technology (Lotus Notes email)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best people I have ever worked with and the company will pay for education. Which you will need when looking for another job. If you are one of the lucky few you will be exposed to, and get to work with, some good technology. Good stepping stone but not a long term plan. Work from home is good.

Cons

Low starting salaries, then you have to fight like wounded animal to get a promotion. Unless you get lucky with your manager because some do give promotions. But it's a crap shoot. If you don't get a good manager you have no future. Best to just leave. They use Lotus Notes email. Join the modern world. It's not the '60s anymore.

Hire some decent programmers. You will get your money back with reduced support and downtime. One agent had software that was broken for 3 months.

Went in with High Expectations and was very disappointed!

Former Employee - Underwriter in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some flexibility with work schedule, allowed to work remote part time. Career development, continuing education is encouraged depending on job grade.

Cons

Management has unreasonable expectations when is comes to assigned caseloads. Company culture needs to change, too stiff and formal, needs to be more flexible. Communication is one-sided, management does not want to hear opinions that conflict with the "company line". Many lower level jobs are being outsources overseas, resulting in layoffs in the US.

Create a more flexible work culture. Encourage employee involvement, listen to employee ideas about ways to improve workflow or work/life balance.

Need to be psychic

Former Employee - IT Technician in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like the people working in IT

Cons

Manager is on power trip. Doesn't ever look you in the eye while speaking. Instead, glued to his Blackberry. His management style is to tell one person on the team something and not everyone. Then expects everyone to just "know" the new rules. He also has this annoying habit of eavesdropping.

Get managers training in communication and common courtesy skills.

Registered Representative

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at John Hancock full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work in markets and with people that interest you. Joint work with colleagues to increase your skills and increase closure rate.

Cons

You often feel that you are working without a net to catch you if you fall. The pressure of working in a 100% commission environment is challenging and often drives you to question whose best interest you are serving.

Really need to reconsider your compensation structure and not make promises that you can't keep

B/D relations

I worked at John Hancock full-time

Pros

Nice offices. Smart people. Great product. Great rep.

Cons

None really. No worse than any other corporation

Work!

Overworked

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has decent pay and benefits. The company has become more flexible and allowing there employees to work from home. Work teams usually work well together to try and achieve goals.

Cons

Company has gone though a major reorganization over the last 2 years. Many employees were moved and are now learning new jobs. The reorg was designed to breakdown barriers but so far that has not occurred and at times have made it more difficult.

Listen to the employees feedback.