John Holland Group

Add Photos

John Holland Group Managing Director & Chairman Glenn Palin

Glenn Palin

Great Place to Work

Building Services Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people who work here have a huge amount of experience and want to share it with you. It's like a family. The projects we do (in Construction) is interesting and our clients unique.

ConsThere isn't as much support as you would like. Jobs tend to be staffed lean to start with and then ramped up when issues arise. Personnel / Professional Development is an area where improvements have been made over the recent years, however there is still room for improvement.

Great experience

Temp (Former Employee) Brisbane (Australia)

ProsAmazing projects
    Great opportunities
    Fantastic ethical values
    Great future

ConsNo recognition or reward for hard work. Otherwise no comment

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

A company with all the right values and outlooks but needs improvement in the execution

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Brisbane (Australia)

ProsThe outlook has the right values that employees want

ConsThe execution is not quite right and can leave one wondering whether the planned values will be achieved

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reminding everyone of the values when reviewing the current execution of change to achieve them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack feedback within the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt used to be people, as as people start leaving I don't think there's any pros with the company, especially with all those bribery and corruption scandals that has gone on with the company.

ConsManagement does not provide feed back, and lack of news update. Management have no idea what they are doing, changing business plan every 12-24mths, cause after some time they tend to realised that they have made a mistake with their business plan. Senior management gets paid substantially but fail to acknowledge staffs, as they believe they are the ones doing a good job.

No real structure in place. Senior management seem to think they are doing a good job and as such almost always gives themselves a fat bonus or payrise.

Excellent employer with great opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to work with a range of different people

ConsWorking as part of an alliance can be difficult when different companies have different policies and processes

Excellent experience

Planner (Current Employee) Darwin (Australia)

ProsFreindly, competetive and professional progress

ConsNothing I have just entered

Project Engineer

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Brisbane (Australia)

ProsJob package is very competitive and there is great support for the individual - a secure and encouraging work environment.

ConsI witnessed that the geographical spread of project locations meant some people were commuting 100+kms each day - albeit in a company car

There are pockets which really have you shaking your head, but overall good people who get things done

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsThere is huge opportunity in the business for those in more traditional operational construction roles. There are some inspirational leaders around, but sometimes the old school leaders can really ruin the best intentions. If you're in the main game here the opportunities are endless.

ConsThere is a real culture of waste in some areas. You hear of people booking flights to build up their frequent flyer status. Some senior managers fly to international destinations for a day of meetings. Some of the admin staff have their own assistants...If you're a part of the corporate disciplines be ready to be treated like the enemy. This is a company of engineers, for engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people feel they are working in an info vacuum. Senior management must recognise that they have the most visibility when to comes to wastage - giving admin staff new titles to increase their pay and spending a couple of days on an overseas trip are not appropriate in an environment where people are fearing for their jobs.

There are opportunities available, you ahve to go looking and work for them.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsIT Systems are a disgrace and are embarrassing

Advice to Senior ManagementMerit based management or at least open and transparent KPIs

great client base but internal politics is tough

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosgreat colleagues
    lots of workplace flexibility
    fantastic exposure to large scale projects and clients

Consinternal politics makes work difficult
    some managers are not collaborative or enabling
    minimal development/career pathways

Worked for John Holland Group? Contribute to the Community!