John Holland Group Reviews

2.7
John Holland Group Managing Director & Chairman Glenn Palin
Glenn Palin

1. Management Consultant

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for . Positive and friendly culture

Cons

All good cant think of any cons

2. Project Manager

Current Employee - BIM Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - BIM Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Now free of the Leighton influence Interesting work Good prospects in the longer term

Cons

Smaller company - doesn't have the ability to chase and win as much work as others Smaller company - expect Project Managers to be very relocatable Immediate prospects are a bit grim - due to the Leighton sale Very top heavy management and reporting structure

Advice to Management

Root and branch review is desperately needed to weed out managers that are place-fillers, and are not up to it. The entire organisation needs restructuring - the changes made last year are not working, and the company needs to be urgently reorganised into clearly recognisable business streams. We want to be inspired - and I am looking at Palin here - there needs to be a massive communication effort to placate all of us that have been badly treated during the Leighton transition.

Superintendent

Current Employee - Superintendent in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time

Pros

Nill, none. Perhaps the Chinese will be better.

Cons

Management inept. to use 457 visa holders as cheap labour. Now Chinese owned and soon operated due to long term /%_ covering by management and ineptitude of same. HR and ER talk the talk but don't do the walk.

Advice to Management

Go home Australia doesn't need you. Find and pay Australians.

Full of politics

I worked at John Holland Group

Pros

- Good on safety - Nice office - Excellent in gaining experience

Cons

- Manager no respect for the staff - Human Resources are useless - Company Values are only good in paper. - Rip off its own employees

Advice to Management

Too many lazy manager doing nothing. Manager and Human Resources doesnt know the company values.

6. Just like most other big companies, they promise a lot but deliver very little.

Former Employee - Law Clerk in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Work-life balance is good, but this depends on your manager.

Cons

Managers are selfish and money-hungry, they do not care about your career progression.

Advice to Management

Cut out nasty people from the business, even if they are good at their job.

7. Generally good - though lately not so much

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large group with multiple projects and lots of variety.

Cons

Has become a lot more difficult to feel part of the business over the past couple of years, you are generally treated as just another number. Since Leighton Holdings began exerting more influence, and especially now it is being sold, management decisions are becoming more arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Focus on people, and the profit will follow. You don't make money in the long run screwing your staff.

8. Good group going through a tough transition

I worked at John Holland Group

Pros

Training and Onboarding. Variety of projects and challenges.

Cons

Corporate challenges and forgetful of regional offices

9. Generally enjoyed my time at JH. Bureaucratic, slow moving and impersonal. Safe, professional and reliable.

Current Employee - Operational Staff in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Operational Staff in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large National Company. Diverse projects. Opportunities to work interstate. Good training. Generally professional, knowledgeable colleagues. OHS compliant. Interesting, multi-disciplined, challenging projects.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic and slow moving. Really tightened the belt over the past couple of years, so little opportunity for promotion or pay rise. Uncertain future with company being up for sale. HR systems makes you feel like a number who needs to prove they have worth, rather than a valued employee who gets support and recognition for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Focus on making life easier and more streamlined for Operations, not Corporate. Construction is our business and is what feeds us all. Corporate should be there to serve Operations, not the other way around. Need to get the balance right. Treat employees like valued people, not like data inputs into a reporting system.

10. Too much internal politics and do not reward hard work

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities within the company for project based staff; Excellent safety culture; Challenging projects; Good training and short courses available; Access to Leighton Corporate discounts;

Cons

Way too much internal and office politics; Work life balance does not exist; Do not get rewarded or recognition for doing your job well; Senior managers will take the credit for achievement rather than pass it down the line; Senior managers easy to point the finger when things don't go to plan; leadership and decision making expected but not valued

Advice to Management

Get rid of internal politics and boys club

11. Operations - NSW/ACT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great project teams and regional operational leaders. A wide variety of work in the disciplines operating out of NSW/ACT. Initially loved the training opportunities . Water and Civil business were definitely the most agreeable . I was fortunate to have the ability I advance in my role how ever others around me (inc many females) were not given the same opportunities

Cons

After working in an another region I clearly identified massive differences in how management and projects work. Melbourne office were for the most part did not understand expectations of clients in nsw/act . People from operational systems (OpSys) on many levels quite disrespectful to projects and their arrogance reflected poorly on those trying to get the job done within the expectation of the client The use of contractors to undertake work on projects when people were needing jobs or being made redundant I felt was poor form. I found the Rail division quite disagreeable and had a mentality of we are special we don't need to follow procedure. Building division were arrogant and difficult to work with. You do a lot of training which starts out great and you use operationally however when management ignore the process , and things go wrong - they point the finger at the wrong people . Many IT systems are old and for my period of employment the business was not open to discussion over improvements Senior Managers in Melbourne have big important titles but in reality they are ignorant to plight of teams trying to bring in the $$$ In Sydney - a lot of office politics in the Pyrmont office and i found personally that HR/IR teams unprofessional and unapproachable. The lack of follow through of business planning was a real gripe . Little projects suffered as more support was offers to big ticket and high profile gigs.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the senior managers who take all the glory but never pass it down to the teams doing the hard work. OpSys either need a complete overhaul or at the very least training in effective communication. Nationally, the business needs to be consistent with how operations are run and how information is kept . Doing it one way in Victoria and Qld and something different in NSW and WA leads to confusion.

RSS Feed </> Embed