John Holland Group

Glenn Palin

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Building Services Manager
    Current Employee - Building Services Manager

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work here have a huge amount of experience and want to share it with you. It's like a family. The projects we do (in Construction) is interesting and our clients unique.

Cons

There isn't as much support as you would like. Jobs tend to be staffed lean to start with and then ramped up when issues arise. Personnel / Professional Development is an area where improvements have been made over the recent years, however there is still room for improvement.

Generally enjoyed my time at JH. Bureaucratic, slow moving and impersonal. Safe, professional and reliable.

Current Employee - Operational Staff in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Operational Staff in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large National Company. Diverse projects. Opportunities to work interstate. Good training. Generally professional, knowledgeable colleagues. OHS compliant. Interesting, multi-disciplined, challenging projects.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic and slow moving.
    Really tightened the belt over the past couple of years, so little opportunity for promotion or pay rise. Uncertain future with company being up for sale.
    HR systems makes you feel like a number who needs to prove they have worth, rather than a valued employee who gets support and recognition for a job well done.

Focus on making life easier and more streamlined for Operations, not Corporate. Construction is our business and is what feeds us all. Corporate should be there to serve Operations, not the other way around. Need to get the balance right.
    Treat employees like valued people, not like data inputs into a reporting system.

Generally good - though lately not so much

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large group with multiple projects and lots of variety.

Cons

Has become a lot more difficult to feel part of the business over the past couple of years, you are generally treated as just another number. Since Leighton Holdings began exerting more influence, and especially now it is being sold, management decisions are becoming more arbitrary.

Focus on people, and the profit will follow. You don't make money in the long run screwing your staff.

Good group going through a tough transition

I worked at John Holland Group

Pros

Training and Onboarding. Variety of projects and challenges.

Cons

Corporate challenges and forgetful of regional offices

Too much internal politics and do not reward hard work

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities within the company for project based staff;
    Excellent safety culture;
    Challenging projects;
    Good training and short courses available;
    Access to Leighton Corporate discounts;

Cons

Way too much internal and office politics;
    Work life balance does not exist;
    Do not get rewarded or recognition for doing your job well;
    Senior managers will take the credit for achievement rather than pass it down the line;
    Senior managers easy to point the finger when things don't go to plan;
    leadership and decision making expected but not valued

Get rid of internal politics and boys club

Operations - NSW/ACT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great project teams and regional operational leaders. A wide variety of work in the disciplines operating out of NSW/ACT.

Initially loved the training opportunities .

Water and Civil business were definitely the most agreeable .

I was fortunate to have the ability I advance in my role how ever others around me (inc many females) were not given the same opportunities

Cons

After working in an another region I clearly identified massive differences in how management and projects work.

Melbourne office were for the most part did not understand expectations of clients in nsw/act . People from operational systems (OpSys) on many levels quite disrespectful to projects and their arrogance reflected poorly on those trying to get the job done within the expectation of the client

The use of contractors to undertake work on projects when people were needing jobs or being made redundant I felt was poor form.

I found the Rail division quite disagreeable and had a mentality of we are special we don't need to follow procedure. Building division were arrogant and difficult to work with.

You do a lot of training which starts out great and you use operationally however when management ignore the process , and things go wrong - they point the finger at the wrong people .

Many IT systems are old and for my period of employment the business was not open to discussion over improvements

Senior Managers in Melbourne have big important titles but in reality they are ignorant to plight of teams trying to bring in the $$$

In Sydney - a lot of office politics in the Pyrmont office and i found personally that HR/IR teams unprofessional and unapproachable.

The lack of follow through of business planning was a real gripe .

Little projects suffered as more support was offers to big ticket and high profile gigs.

Get rid of the senior managers who take all the glory but never pass it down to the teams doing the hard work.

OpSys either need a complete overhaul or at the very least training in effective communication.

Nationally, the business needs to be consistent with how operations are run and how information is kept . Doing it one way in Victoria and Qld and something different in NSW and WA leads to confusion.

JHG left me to self develop the Technical Services business into a Profit Centre without management guidance or oversigh

Former Employee - Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

JHG presented the Manager an opportunity to develop his own business without oversight.

Cons

Due to the lack of a detailed and practical business strategy the result was a lack of proper leadership.

Develop a detailed and practical business strategy, employ the right management and follow the business plan through leadership.

Great experience

Former Employee - Temp in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Temp in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at John Holland Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing projects
    Great opportunities
    Fantastic ethical values
    Great future

Cons

No recognition or reward for hard work. Otherwise no comment

No comment

A company with all the right values and outlooks but needs improvement in the execution

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at John Holland Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The outlook has the right values that employees want

Cons

The execution is not quite right and can leave one wondering whether the planned values will be achieved

Keep reminding everyone of the values when reviewing the current execution of change to achieve them

Lack feedback within the company.

I worked at John Holland Group

Pros

It used to be people, as as people start leaving I don't think there's any pros with the company, especially with all those bribery and corruption scandals that has gone on with the company.

Cons

Management does not provide feed back, and lack of news update. Management have no idea what they are doing, changing business plan every 12-24mths, cause after some time they tend to realised that they have made a mistake with their business plan. Senior management gets paid substantially but fail to acknowledge staffs, as they believe they are the ones doing a good job.

No real structure in place. Senior management seem to think they are doing a good job and as such almost always gives themselves a fat bonus or payrise.