John Lewis

Charlie Mayfield

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very challenging

London, England (UK)

ProsFor selling Partners (in branches) - a brilliant experience, lots of opportunities, there is the opportunity to diversify and do different things, really encouraging of personal development, good staffing structure - approachable and friendly management teams - doesn't get much better than this for shop assistants!

ConsBusiness politics (as with any business), get more and more complicated the higher up the food chain you go.

Company Culture very stand-offish

Consultant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working hours. Good benefits.

ConsComplicated structure. A lot of bureaucracy leading to slow delivery times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more team related engagements. Do more team building events.

Once Good, But No Longer...

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsStaff Discount (12 or 25 per cent, depending on merchandise) :
    Reasonable Stability If You Make It Past The Inevitable Temporary Contract You'll Start On, But...

Cons…You May Not Want To Stay When You Realise That This Is The Worst Live-To-Work Situation You've Ever Been In. Work Till 8.15pm or 9.15pm (Having Started Work Before 10.30am On Those Days) On Three Weeks Out Of Every Four, Compulsory Saturday & Sunday Working (Extra Long Hours On Saturdays, BTW), The Earth Expected From Sharp-End Staff Whilst Upper Management Ride An Astonishing Gravy Train.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook To Bridge The Enormous Chasm Between The Lower & Upper Levels. Not Advice That They'll Be Interested In, Though.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to adapt to the culture

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVery strong work/life balance - if you want it!
    The equality of the Partnership Bonus
    Largely dedicated workforce
    Focus on product and customer experience

ConsChange is slow
    Significant part of IT is antiquated
    Lot of Partners are "lifers", so promotion at higher levels of the business is difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to remove Partners who block changes and keep referring to the "good old days"

Audio/TV Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work, young team

Consmanagement do not always listen to feedback

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Great employer, fantastic benefits.

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGreat benefits, nice place to work, fair workplace, enjoyable environment.

ConsSlow career progression, not great wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more approachable to lower band staff.

A world class company where, with the right attitude, work ethic and focus, every Partner can feel a part of a family.

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThe benefits: annual bonus; discount at JL and Waitrose; an immense amount of leisure, learning and entertainment subsidies; corporate membership to many national institutions, a forward-thinking environment and a working environment in which anyone has the opportunity to flourish and better themselves.

ConsChange is slow in comparison to other companies, but this makes sense because we are reluctant to make ill-considered choices that could potentially affect Partners' interests and the bonus. The salary range currently at JL is lower than it is at Waitrose, the salary is generally slightly lower than market rate and career progression is more difficult than elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the hard-working Partners who truly display and demonstrate the six Partner Behaviours from those who seemingly do so by employing underhand negative Partner characteristics which the Partnership does not tolerate.

Mediocre at best; few opportunities, no rewards

London, England (UK)

ProsThe Bonus scheme is quite good, and it's nice that everyone qualifies, this is a good incentive when trying to motivate teams. They're good for things like holidays and flexibility, and there is a fairly useful support network should you have any personal or professional problems. Also, if you care, you are a 'Partner' and co-owner, and you have a 'voice' within the Partnership

ConsPolitics. Same as everywhere I suppose, however being in middle management is a real chore due to the fact that all of your team are 'Partners' and therefore think they have a say in the day to day running of operations; no one higher up is prepared to tell them that we are co-owners not co-managers. This leaves you with absolutely no support and the constant threat of your non-management team members taking grievances out against you or going to your boss because they see you implementing company policies as unfair and bullying behaviour. Despite how hard you work or you job performance in general, if your face doesn't fit you aren't getting any opportunities or promotions, and your face fitting is the main criteria higher management use. I have, on several occasions, stood and watched useless people being promoted above me because they make all the right noises. The business model is quite a genius way to get the bottom rung of the ladder cost saving and 'taking ownership', as they have a vested interest in bonus and the company, however it's pst irritating having to peddle this rubbish and being able to see through it all. Whether or not I leave the lights on in my office is, on the whole, unlikely to affect my bonus. My boss also happens to be a sexist, but I wouldn't hold that against the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise skills and ability over political nonsense.

Good

Administration Assistant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsFab Discount, Bonus, holidays, sample sale and great pension.

ConsJob levelling which prevents you from applying for roles more than 1 grade above your role even if you have experience from outside the business which can make it very difficult to progress within the company.

Getting a pay rise is also very difficult even if you meet your objectives and business targets.

Too many managers in head office and not enough positions below.

Long hours within some departments and very difficult to get time back or over time.

Temporary Sales Assistant

Temporary Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly, helpful, nice working environment, training support

Consgetting very busy over weekends but quiet during weekdays, sometimes can be boring

Advice to Senior Managementdon't mistake my rota again!

Worked for John Lewis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Lewis reviews and ratings in London, UK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Lewis CEO Charlie Mayfield. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by John Lewis employees.