John Lewis

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Lewis Chairman Charlie Mayfield

Charlie Mayfield

Pros
  • Very good benefits package available to all employees from three months employment (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice place to work, fair workplace, enjoyable environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • not changing well lack of jobs very slow to react long hours very poor managed at store level (in 5 reviews)

• Slow career progression, not great wages (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Superb culture and motivated workforce

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros- Motivated and talented workforce that really bring out the best in your performance
    - Very open and collaborative culture, feels far more like a team than a competitive sales environment
    - Senior staff take opportunities to listen and generally communicate and implement change effectively
    - Opportunities for democratic participation on store or company wide level
    - Outstanding customer service generally recognised, rewarded and appreciated
    - Annual bonus
    - Many other benefits including staff discount, holiday centres etc...

Cons- Performance reviews largely symbolic, very little opportunity to influence overall outcome, particularly in terms of negotiating pay rises.
    - Poor pay progression
    - Additional overtime often not paid despite additional hours worked
    - Lack of adequate training for more specialist sales areas
    - Poor back-office support for IT, Finance etc...
    - Can feel like a very 'corporate' environment at times

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen setting company wide corporate policy, make sure that adequate resources (particularly additional budgets) are given to actually implement it in practice.

Brilliant company. Great understanding people. Partnership based on principle and values. Partners always put first.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsGreat management. Good discount. Brilliant catering and considerations for partners during work and breaks. Bonus is a plus. Christmas is always a delight with free meal and wine served by your manager. Everyone is very friendly and down-to-earth.

ConsMinimum wage as sales assistant position, but wage same as every other retailer.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage partners to be more engaged in AGMs/business plan.

Good employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly, good management, flexible, structure

ConsNo room for creativity, Training limited

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One step forward, two steps backward.

Catering Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsJohn Lewis comes with excellent out of work benefits such as company discount within John Lewis and Waitrose, discounted leisure benefits, gym lessons paid for by the company etc.

Pay is exceptional on Sundays.

ConsThe Catering Assistant role is a dead end job that I would not recommend to anyone with aspirations beyond minimum wage work.

There are very very few opportunities for advancement. Those with career aspirations transfer out of catering departments and often excel, quickly arriving in a section manager or team leader role that is otherwise unattainable.

Communication within many departments is very poor and managers seem to lack direction.

Departments are often short staffed while being particularly labour intensive. Hiring of new staff is controlled by head offices and managers are frequently denied requests for replacements for staff who leave John Lewis or transfer to another area of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementReintroduce manager control over menus and day to day running of departments. Head office enforced uniformity has led to a watered down consumer experience that represents an upmarket Gregg's rather than a Place to Eat 'Restaurant.'

Improve offerings in term of advancement for staff, at the moment it appears that advancement is taking on management level responsibilities for minimum wage pay.

An extremely rewarding experience

Selling Partner (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe relationships formed at John Lewis, due to our equal status and democratic "partner" nature are superb. The pay is good for a retail job, and the work is highly rewarding.

ConsProcedures are at times, outdated and difficult to follow. Systems are one of the weakest area. Thoroughly needs updating partnership wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

The JLP experience

ProsThe company ethos, the fact it is a partnership and all the benefits that you enjoy due to this - bonus, discount, subsidies

ConsChange programmes happening as in any country and changing fundamental ways in which the partnership is different. The changing pace of retail requires this change to keep happening but unsettling when you believe a job in JLP was for life

Very challenging

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFor selling Partners (in branches) - a brilliant experience, lots of opportunities, there is the opportunity to diversify and do different things, really encouraging of personal development, good staffing structure - approachable and friendly management teams - doesn't get much better than this for shop assistants!

ConsBusiness politics (as with any business), get more and more complicated the higher up the food chain you go.

Company Culture very stand-offish

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working hours. Good benefits.

ConsComplicated structure. A lot of bureaucracy leading to slow delivery times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more team related engagements. Do more team building events.

Quie freindly enviroment

ProsAmazing benefits,being partner and stuff

ConsSlow moving,conservative company/ No innovation here

Once Good, But No Longer...

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsStaff Discount (12 or 25 per cent, depending on merchandise) :
    Reasonable Stability If You Make It Past The Inevitable Temporary Contract You'll Start On, But...

Cons…You May Not Want To Stay When You Realise That This Is The Worst Live-To-Work Situation You've Ever Been In. Work Till 8.15pm or 9.15pm (Having Started Work Before 10.30am On Those Days) On Three Weeks Out Of Every Four, Compulsory Saturday & Sunday Working (Extra Long Hours On Saturdays, BTW), The Earth Expected From Sharp-End Staff Whilst Upper Management Ride An Astonishing Gravy Train.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook To Bridge The Enormous Chasm Between The Lower & Upper Levels. Not Advice That They'll Be Interested In, Though.

Worked for John Lewis? Contribute to the Community!