John Muir Health

Updated October 2, 2014
3.5

Calvin (Cal) Knight

Great place to work

I worked at John Muir Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at John Muir. They pride themselves on true patient care. I know every hospital says that but they actually make it a point to treat their patients like family. The other employees I encountered genuinely enjoyed their job and being at work. I think this is so important to bring a positive workplace.

Cons

I cannot think of any regarding the hospital. I will agree that the surrounding areas are a bit expensive.

Excellent Nurses

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

John Muir supports a team oriented work environment and makes your work more enjoyable. They give very good salary and good benefits.

Cons

They should hire more nurses and nurse assistant to better serve thier patients. But overall its a great place to work.

Hire more nurses and cna's

Penny wise, pound foolish

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some great people, good benefits and pay.

Cons

Lack of recongition of loyalty; longevity is seen as a downside, not something to be valued or appreciated.

You have voluntarily deprived yourselves of some precious human resources with layoffs. It's a shame. People used to matter there. Go back to that.

Desperate attempt to stay afloat due to poor business forecasting dicisions

Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, compensation is good, services local community, level II trauma center

Cons

Due to poor business decisions, JMH is currently twirling around the proverbial drain. In an attempt to stay competitive, JMH is reducing worker bee staff at an alarming and unhealthy rate. They just outsourced their lab services and terminated over 500 employees in one shot. Their IT department has been downsized significantly. The workers that remain are burnt out, expected to perform the work of 2-3 employees. They are offering (forcing for some) a voluntary resignation package in efforts to stay "competitive". This "restructure" is targeting many older staff members, who may find it difficult to find another source of income at their age.

The loyal ex-employees of JMH that were forced to resign should not have been held responsible for poor business decisions by JMH. JMH should be spending less on advertising and focus more on the patient care and employee suggestions and requirements. Middle management should be reduced, since JMH is top heavy. JMH needs to better align itself with its stated "Culture of Caring" policy.

A Good Place to Work, Just Be Aware That Management can Loose Track of How Much THey Are Expecting You to DO

Current Employee - Skilled Labor in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Skilled Labor in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots Of Jobs to be had, fair pay, good working conditions, leadership is dedicated, Patients are well treated. good benefits and insurance.

Cons

New management and new management styles seem to not really care about the way things have been done to build the reputation John Muir now has, aggressive cost cutting and budget cutting in order to free up money for new practice's and facility acquisitions will eventually affect patient care and the overall reputation.

Listen to staff before problems arise, remember that it is the common staff that keeps the place operating and they are the first face the public sees.

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The fellow workers are great, and support a team oriented work environment throughout many departments. We are delivering some of the best healthcare available. The compensation is one of the highest in the Bay Area. The benefits are satisfactory.

Cons

Sometimes the management does not really listen to the workers and they try things on their own, often regretting and reversing the decisions.

Love my coworkers!

I have been working at John Muir Health

Pros

Love the other staff - nurses and CNAs. Everyone is so friendly, helpful and team-oriented.

Cons

John Muir is a not-for-profit hospital and is considered "financially strong", but I feel like they make budget cuts that are unsafe for staff and patients. Like ridiculous nurse-to-patient ratios.

The company I want to continue working for

Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Concord, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I've worked with was what made me want to come to work everyday. In my department , everybody worked as a team and was always there to help each other out.

Cons

The only con I can think of working for this company is when the laboratory was sold and many employees were laid off, the company should have shown more effort to place them in different areas in the hospitals/departments. I heard some employers who applied for position that fits them weren't chosen but the position was given to someone else other than former employer of john muir .

At one point I would of gave them 5 stars...Not getting better with time

Current Employee - Accounting in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have really good benefits, and the coworkers make it enjoyable. The pay is competitive. Good location, Close to Bart.

Cons

Lots of disconnect. Staff reductions leaves no opportunity for advancement, only more work to be done. Computers and software are out of date.

Lead by example and work as hard as your staff does.

Change some Epic management!!

Former Employee - Epic HIM analyst
    Former Employee - Epic HIM analyst

I worked at John Muir Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The director, managers and staff of the HIM department as well as my team members were awesome to work with! The director was so easy to communicate with and was very open to the huge change of implementing Epic. The managers were also very smart and professional. I would work with any of them any day.

Cons

Unfortunately the management of the Epic project team is HORRIBLE! Never communicating with consultants on whether they would be extended. Then at the last minute asking for extensions and two days later telling you that this is your last day when your users and team members love and need you! They lack any empathy and are completely unprofessional in their communication skills. That's if they communicate with you at all and they only do when they are called out on something after the fact. I would never work for that team as long as that management is there.

Leave because people like you never learn to be empathetic to your staff who is doing all the actual work. (This is only in regards to the epic team management.) As for HIM management I hope you get the support you deserve and succeed in every way!