John Muir Health
www.johnmuirhealth.com Walnut Creek, CA 5000+ Employees

John Muir Health Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Calvin (Cal) Knight

The company I want to continue working for

Customer Service REp (Former Employee)
    Concord, CA

ProsThe people I've worked with was what made me want to come to work everyday. In my department , everybody worked as a team and was always there to help each other out.

ConsThe only con I can think of working for this company is when the laboratory was sold and many employees were laid off, the company should have shown more effort to place them in different areas in the hospitals/departments. I heard some employers who applied for position that fits them weren't chosen but the position was given to someone else other than former employer of john muir .

Great place to work

ProsNot for profit with Great benefits, beautiful weather

ConsLarge bureaucracy
    Very Expensive to live in CA

You wish you already had your 30 years in tenure in the bag for retirement benefits.

Clerical Assistant (Former Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsPrestige. Great town Walnut Creek. Well respected place. New construction. Generous with giving to good places. Try hard to do good work (Cancer Institute/Genetic Counseling). Many very very hard working and caring people there in many departments. The two I mention were very devoted to doing great work. Many women. Everyone works to get along and do laughing also. Win "best of's" and get great reviews and certifications. Very strong devoted axillary and many many volunteers and volunteer hours. Treat volunteers in departments like gold. Great computer and management classes and intranet classifieds and weekly paper of news.

ConsThey "don't like to hire more people in support positions that do not directly make money like a billable doctor would create. At the time if someone left they spread the work around to others instead of hiring a replacement. They say and I saw--hospitals move at a Glacial pace which I didn't know. I don't care for a glacial pace and change structure. Cost cutting when budget got difficult last 3rd of year. Everyone not nailed down got let go.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JMH, chock full of great people, a challenging business environment.

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Walnut, CA

ProsThe people at JMH from the hospital maintenance staff through the executive leadership are experienced and dedicated. The facilities are first rate, compensation is good.

ConsThe company is struggling with cost cutting measures that has the workforce very concerned. An aging workforce and the rapid pace of change means that JMH will experience a lot of turnover in the coming year or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your very best to manage your cost cutting exercises so that you don't decimate morale and compromise quality.

great company to work for

Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant (Former Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

Prosexcellent room for growth, great benefits! excellent learning experience, able to work around your schedule!

Consthe turnover of managers at 1 particular site! the hiring of externs just because lack of staff and many are ignoring the patients as they gossip and talk on their cell phones, ive waited on hold for over 1/2 hour, the patients should feel safe and the staff should be more sympethic to their situation as we all would want to feel the same if we are in the same situation. the hiring of younger unskilled asympethic individuals per one hiring manager at the concord office stated ( we want young blood so that we may train them how we want them as they are set in their ways) compared to mature and very highly skilled individuals. ive work for a few major hospitals,stanford and uc davis and i learned how their systems worked and how their facility ran, i am able to adapt to any medical setting due to my experience, i see it as a little discrimination and after 9 years of dedicated service and 8 very much younger individuals whom were at the job 7 years less then me and my 20 plus years experience i did feel like i was discriminated against.

Advice to Senior Managementyour operations are greatly appreciated! you strive to make employees happy and the operations run smoother, you also take seriously any problems that arise and i believe john muir can only get better! i would look closley at the individuals that are hired over ones with much more expierence and longevity and see how many younger and underskilled individuals are being placed over ones like myself whom have much more expierence and more mature or i do see a lawsuit regarding discrimination.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Challenging

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsJMH is an excellent place to gain good experience as a new RN (<3 years experience) especially in the Surgery Department where there are 13 rooms and multitude of specialities to be exposed to.

ConsThe staff rotation, we employ a lot of travelers year round to supplement our staff, training them over and over again can get tedious. And the vast about of various surgeries performed, it can become very challenging keep up to spend with each case. You become a Jack of all trades but Master of none.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding a permaent PM charge RN that is fair and understands the demands of the 12 shift RN.

A very positive work environment

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGood salary and benefits, good working environment

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement, slow to make decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions in a reasonable timeframe

Working at John Muir Health

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThere is great administrative support, teamwork in the unit, and John Muir Health provides great benefits. Providing quality care is a priority.

ConsMy only concern is that health care reform will put the organization in the position of not being able to provide some of the great things that they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work - listening to employees, recognizing excellence and clearing communicating the direction the organization is going.

Magnet center w/ strong nursing leadership involvment

Preoperative Nurse (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsProvide 5 days of paid education training, free CEU's, $1000 incentive for certifcation, Health incentive, discounts tickets for movies, entertainment etc.

ConsCurrent construction for building expansion

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

An opportunity for both personal and professional growth that cannot be missed!

Physical Therapist (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsJohn Muir Health provides its employees with excellent benefits, opportunities for growth, incentives to stay healthy and help the environment. The staff works together as a cohesive unit. I feel like I am working with my closest friends and family members, rather than coworkers. Never have I worked in an environment that is so friendly. The various disciplines work well together towards the goals of providing excellent patient care, safety, and satisfaction.

ConsUnfortunately, due to the economy, we are no longer reimbursed for continuing education.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest with your staff. Do not try to be a scapegoat or avoid confrontation.

Worked for John Muir Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Muir Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for John Muir Health CEO Calvin (Cal) Knight. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by John Muir Health employees.