John Muir Health

Updated October 2, 2014
3.5

Calvin (Cal) Knight

Great place to work

I worked at John Muir Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at John Muir. They pride themselves on true patient care. I know every hospital says that but they actually make it a point to treat their patients like family. The other employees I encountered genuinely enjoyed their job and being at work. I think this is so important to bring a positive workplace.

Cons

I cannot think of any regarding the hospital. I will agree that the surrounding areas are a bit expensive.

The company I want to continue working for

Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Concord, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I've worked with was what made me want to come to work everyday. In my department , everybody worked as a team and was always there to help each other out.

Cons

The only con I can think of working for this company is when the laboratory was sold and many employees were laid off, the company should have shown more effort to place them in different areas in the hospitals/departments. I heard some employers who applied for position that fits them weren't chosen but the position was given to someone else other than former employer of john muir .

Great place to work

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not for profit with Great benefits, beautiful weather

Cons

Large bureaucracy
    Very Expensive to live in CA

You wish you already had your 30 years in tenure in the bag for retirement benefits.

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Prestige. Great town Walnut Creek. Well respected place. New construction. Generous with giving to good places. Try hard to do good work (Cancer Institute/Genetic Counseling). Many very very hard working and caring people there in many departments. The two I mention were very devoted to doing great work. Many women. Everyone works to get along and do laughing also. Win "best of's" and get great reviews and certifications. Very strong devoted axillary and many many volunteers and volunteer hours. Treat volunteers in departments like gold. Great computer and management classes and intranet classifieds and weekly paper of news.

Cons

They "don't like to hire more people in support positions that do not directly make money like a billable doctor would create. At the time if someone left they spread the work around to others instead of hiring a replacement. They say and I saw--hospitals move at a Glacial pace which I didn't know. I don't care for a glacial pace and change structure. Cost cutting when budget got difficult last 3rd of year. Everyone not nailed down got let go.

JMH, chock full of great people, a challenging business environment.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Walnut, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Walnut, CA

I worked at John Muir Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people at JMH from the hospital maintenance staff through the executive leadership are experienced and dedicated. The facilities are first rate, compensation is good.

Cons

The company is struggling with cost cutting measures that has the workforce very concerned. An aging workforce and the rapid pace of change means that JMH will experience a lot of turnover in the coming year or so.

Do your very best to manage your cost cutting exercises so that you don't decimate morale and compromise quality.

great company to work for

Former Employee - Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

excellent room for growth, great benefits! excellent learning experience, able to work around your schedule!

Cons

the turnover of managers at 1 particular site! the hiring of externs just because lack of staff and many are ignoring the patients as they gossip and talk on their cell phones, ive waited on hold for over 1/2 hour, the patients should feel safe and the staff should be more sympethic to their situation as we all would want to feel the same if we are in the same situation. the hiring of younger unskilled asympethic individuals per one hiring manager at the concord office stated ( we want young blood so that we may train them how we want them as they are set in their ways) compared to mature and very highly skilled individuals. ive work for a few major hospitals,stanford and uc davis and i learned how their systems worked and how their facility ran, i am able to adapt to any medical setting due to my experience, i see it as a little discrimination and after 9 years of dedicated service and 8 very much younger individuals whom were at the job 7 years less then me and my 20 plus years experience i did feel like i was discriminated against.

your operations are greatly appreciated! you strive to make employees happy and the operations run smoother, you also take seriously any problems that arise and i believe john muir can only get better! i would look closley at the individuals that are hired over ones with much more expierence and longevity and see how many younger and underskilled individuals are being placed over ones like myself whom have much more expierence and more mature or i do see a lawsuit regarding discrimination.

Challenging

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health

Pros

JMH is an excellent place to gain good experience as a new RN (<3 years experience) especially in the Surgery Department where there are 13 rooms and multitude of specialities to be exposed to.

Cons

The staff rotation, we employ a lot of travelers year round to supplement our staff, training them over and over again can get tedious. And the vast about of various surgeries performed, it can become very challenging keep up to spend with each case. You become a Jack of all trades but Master of none.

Finding a permaent PM charge RN that is fair and understands the demands of the 12 shift RN.

A very positive work environment

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at John Muir Health

Pros

Good salary and benefits, good working environment

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, slow to make decisions

Make decisions in a reasonable timeframe

Working at John Muir Health

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health

Pros

There is great administrative support, teamwork in the unit, and John Muir Health provides great benefits. Providing quality care is a priority.

Cons

My only concern is that health care reform will put the organization in the position of not being able to provide some of the great things that they do.

Keep up the good work - listening to employees, recognizing excellence and clearing communicating the direction the organization is going.

Magnet center w/ strong nursing leadership involvment

Current Employee - Preoperative Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Preoperative Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health

Pros

Provide 5 days of paid education training, free CEU's, $1000 incentive for certifcation, Health incentive, discounts tickets for movies, entertainment etc.

Cons

Current construction for building expansion

None