John Muir Health Reviews

3.4
Calvin (Cal) Knight

1. Forward thinking; independent health system

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great administration, working conditions

Cons

Health care in general is a challenge at this time

Still one of the best places to work in the Bay Area, but aggressively regressing to the mean.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a pleasure to work with some of the greatest nurses and doctors in the area. John Muir attracts some of the best of the best nurses from around the country. Nurses are generally well supported at the bedside. Our nursing leadership seems to have their hearts in the right place, although they have little control over the business decisions being made. Pay is competitive and benefits are good, but changing daily it seems.

Cons

Administration is currently rolling out a "revised compensation" program. Wages will be allowed to stagnate until we reach our stated goal of being in the 50th percentile of local pay. (currently above 70th percentile) Our exceptional child care facility offered to employees at a low cost is closing equating to a large pay cut for working parents. I fear these cuts will make it more difficult to attract top talent going forward.

Invest in your most precious resource, your exceptional employees. There has been a big talent drain already, it will continue if people continue to feel like they are not valued. If we are left with a small hospital group with mediocre (50th percentile) staff we won't be able to compete with the big mediocre providers. I think all administrators should come from a medical background, so that they can better understand the "business" decisions they are making. Its difficult to accept decreased benefits while we see aggressive television and radio advertising campaigns.

3. Stressful

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of education available. Nice facility.

Cons

Unrealistic demands pull you from bedside care.

Work on the floor for an entire 12 hour shift each quarter. This will provide you the valuable information on the challenges facing your nurses.

5. Excellent hospital to work for!

Current Employee - Unit Supervisor
    Current Employee - Unit Supervisor

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management listens to staff
    CNO makes rounds on nursing units and all upper management is involved in all aspects of patient care.

Cons

Downsizing has been difficult for staff

I think management needs to wait before making decisions based on census fluctuations. A lot of changes are coming with healthcare reform!

6. Administration Intern

I worked at John Muir Health

Pros

Good environment. Lots of opportunities to make mistakes if you don't ask questions!

Cons

Guidelines were very vague. Needed more structure in my routine.

7. Great local company undergoing change

Former Employee - Manager IT
    Former Employee - Manager IT

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

John Muir is a pillar of the East Bay and very connected to the community there. They have been providing premium care for 30+ years. There is some trouble with healthcare reform and the drive to lower costs. A lot of John Muir's premium care was delivered by ignoring the micro-cost management and focusing on helping their patients. Some would say that caused cost to get out of control, and maybe true, but it is also true that they loved their patients and took great care of them.

Cons

Healthcare is changing and so must John Muir Health. New leadership is shepherding in the new ear of cost consciousness and I think its traumatic for long-time John Muir Health employees. Being basically a monopoly for 30 years it has developed some political silos, but if you look at the population of management and employees across you will find great people who are working hard to maintain a level of quality they are accustomed to.

Be gentle.

8. Excellent Nurses

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

John Muir supports a team oriented work environment and makes your work more enjoyable. They give very good salary and good benefits.

Cons

They should hire more nurses and nurse assistant to better serve thier patients. But overall its a great place to work.

Hire more nurses and cna's

9. Great place to work

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at John Muir Health as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at John Muir. They pride themselves on true patient care. I know every hospital says that but they actually make it a point to treat their patients like family. The other employees I encountered genuinely enjoyed their job and being at work. I think this is so important to bring a positive workplace.

Cons

I cannot think of any regarding the hospital. I will agree that the surrounding areas are a bit expensive.

10. Penny wise, pound foolish

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some great people, good benefits and pay.

Cons

Lack of recongition of loyalty; longevity is seen as a downside, not something to be valued or appreciated.

You have voluntarily deprived yourselves of some precious human resources with layoffs. It's a shame. People used to matter there. Go back to that.

Desperate attempt to stay afloat due to poor business forecasting dicisions

Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, compensation is good, services local community, level II trauma center

Cons

Due to poor business decisions, JMH is currently twirling around the proverbial drain. In an attempt to stay competitive, JMH is reducing worker bee staff at an alarming and unhealthy rate. They just outsourced their lab services and terminated over 500 employees in one shot. Their IT department has been downsized significantly. The workers that remain are burnt out, expected to perform the work of 2-3 employees. They are offering (forcing for some) a voluntary resignation package in efforts to stay "competitive". This "restructure" is targeting many older staff members, who may find it difficult to find another source of income at their age.

The loyal ex-employees of JMH that were forced to resign should not have been held responsible for poor business decisions by JMH. JMH should be spending less on advertising and focus more on the patient care and employee suggestions and requirements. Middle management should be reduced, since JMH is top heavy. JMH needs to better align itself with its stated "Culture of Caring" policy.