John Paul Mitchell Reviews

3.1
J. P. DeJoria

1. Opportunity for a fun work environment

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

The Paul Mitchell culture is amazing. The energy at the school is really what had me excited everyday while working there. If you are looking to work in the Cosmetology industry, Paul Mitchell schools is great for growing as an educator, support staff, management or learning more about the industry itself.

Cons

The pay is ok. corporate changes occur frequently with revisions to school procedures.

Advice to Management

Definitely listen to your team member's suggestions. They are the in's and out's of the school and flow with the traffic of education, learning and guest services. They are the eyes and ears of what works and what doesn't.

2. Admissions

Former Employee - Admissions in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions in Sacramento, CA

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

environment in the schools has great energy. There are opportunities to grow.

Cons

Pay is ok. Each school can vary with pay.

Advice to Management

Your staff know the in's and out's of what actually goes on. They experience it first hand. Listen to them. They matter.

3. Educator

Former Employee - Premier Educator in Crookston, MN
    Former Employee - Premier Educator in Crookston, MN

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

Passion,philosophy and a respect for people and the environment. A fantastic company to work for!

Cons

Requires an investment to travel

Great Learning Experience

I worked at John Paul Mitchell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If your looking to further your education in the beauty industry this is a great way to go. I went in as a regular cosmetology graduate, and in a short period of time I was given the opportuniy to become an instructor and i did it!

Cons

It is very involved and you can find yourself working without a day off for a week r two depending on how busy the schedule of events is.

6. Management is Ridiculous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

If you want to work in a place full of drama and unprofessional people you're in the right place

Cons

Everything was a con. No structure, no leadership, no real management, everyone that's hired on in every single department is not properly trained. If you're promoted within the company count on teaching yourself and getting paid very little for all of your hard work and effort

Advice to Management

Sell the school to owners who care more about their school than their appearance and fancy things.
    Fire half of the staff and hire new employees who care
    Get a new director!! Not one who's been promoted and demoted several times.

7. This was a high demand job with low pay and little training.

Former Employee - Service Desk Coordinator
    Former Employee - Service Desk Coordinator

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

I love being in the learning environment. Seeing the future professionals grow and and learn new things was amazing. I am a licensed cosmetologist so I am passionate about the industry.

Cons

I was given poor training, and very limited amounts of training. I was told I was not expected to know everything off the bat, but that was not true. There was no real structure to anything. I was assuming there would be a rotation of future professionals as far as who gets the next guests, but that was not the case. I had other employees asking learning leaders "which future professionals are good" and they were the ones who seemed to stay busy. I had one girl come up to me and thank me with such a tone of gratitude for giving her a guest because she hasn't had one in MONTHS. That is so unprofessional, and unethical. I was let go after a month of working there because I wasn't catching on quickly enough. He called me on Monday (my off day) to tell me he was letting me go (again, so professional right) I could go on forever, but I'm sure

Advice to Management

Make sure you have someone with proper knowledge to train new employees. Management should have a bit more.respect for New employees, for each other and for the future professionals.

8. Depending on the location, this could be s good job.

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

I interviewed for one position but was offered a higher up position. The pay was great but that's about it. What I will say though is depending on the location you work at your experience could differ greatly from mine.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Worked everyday with the exclusion of Sundays(the school is closed otherwise I'm sure I would have been expected to work some Sunday's as well). I received very little training but was expected to know everything a few days into working there. Also it wasn't until about 2 weeks in that I even knew what my position entailed and up until then everything I had been told was really vague. I expressed my concerns to my supervisor numerous times but was always ignored. The location I worked at was very unorganized and nobody had every been properly trained in the software.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees if they express concerns. Don't just throw someone in and expect them to know every little thing when you haven't provided any real training. I was extremely excited to work for this company as I saw a long term career with Paul Mitchell but based solely on the location I worked at I would not recommend this company to other people.

A big company that is ran like a mom-n-pop shop.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great office location. Employer has name recognition in the real world. Looks good on the resume. Access to product at great prices. Lasting friendships.

Cons

Cult-like working atmosphere. Blind worship of the CEO, calling him 'our fearless leader' (really?). Most employees who are not in upper management are overworked and are very stressed out. People develop health issues and get burned out. Certain departments in Century City are ran by incompetent and maybe bi-polar directors who emotionally abuse their employees. Screaming, belittling and treating people unprofessionally is a usual occurrence. People are afraid to speak up about the abuses, scared to lose their jobs. Below-market salaries are explained by telling the employees that the culture and the sense of family outweighs the money. Nepotism and croneyism runs the place. How do you speak up if the person who is abusive is related or is best friends with the upper management team? Most people are salary and work 6-7 days a week with no overtime pay. Promised advances or future professional growth never materializes.

Advice to Management

Stop the double-standard of letting abuses slide for your friends and family within the company. Treat everyone with the same respect. Revamp the age demographic of the people in power in the company. The sales will go back up. Stop being hush-hush about available opportunities. More transparency in the work place would alleviate some of the concern that employees have about their future within the company.

10. Learning Leader

I worked at John Paul Mitchell part-time

Pros

lots of good pros. great staff

Cons

not any that I can think of.

Best Place I've Ever Worked!

Current Employee - Service Desk Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Service Desk Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The management team is outstanding
    -The learning leaders really want to be here and have a passion for teaching
    -I love coming to work, it is such a great environment and I have the best co-workers
    -The company is very passionate about giving back and we constantly are FUNrasing for charity

Cons

There really isn't any cons to working here, it is such an up beat and fun place to work

RSS Feed </> Embed