John Paul Mitchell Reviews

1. Management is Ridiculous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

If you want to work in a place full of drama and unprofessional people you're in the right place

Cons

Everything was a con. No structure, no leadership, no real management, everyone that's hired on in every single department is not properly trained. If you're promoted within the company count on teaching yourself and getting paid very little for all of your hard work and effort

Sell the school to owners who care more about their school than their appearance and fancy things.
    Fire half of the staff and hire new employees who care
    Get a new director!! Not one who's been promoted and demoted several times.

2. This was a high demand job with low pay and little training.

Former Employee - Service Desk Coordinator
    Former Employee - Service Desk Coordinator

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

I love being in the learning environment. Seeing the future professionals grow and and learn new things was amazing. I am a licensed cosmetologist so I am passionate about the industry.

Cons

I was given poor training, and very limited amounts of training. I was told I was not expected to know everything off the bat, but that was not true. There was no real structure to anything. I was assuming there would be a rotation of future professionals as far as who gets the next guests, but that was not the case. I had other employees asking learning leaders "which future professionals are good" and they were the ones who seemed to stay busy. I had one girl come up to me and thank me with such a tone of gratitude for giving her a guest because she hasn't had one in MONTHS. That is so unprofessional, and unethical. I was let go after a month of working there because I wasn't catching on quickly enough. He called me on Monday (my off day) to tell me he was letting me go (again, so professional right) I could go on forever, but I'm sure

Make sure you have someone with proper knowledge to train new employees. Management should have a bit more.respect for New employees, for each other and for the future professionals.

3. Depending on the location, this could be s good job.

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

I interviewed for one position but was offered a higher up position. The pay was great but that's about it. What I will say though is depending on the location you work at your experience could differ greatly from mine.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Worked everyday with the exclusion of Sundays(the school is closed otherwise I'm sure I would have been expected to work some Sunday's as well). I received very little training but was expected to know everything a few days into working there. Also it wasn't until about 2 weeks in that I even knew what my position entailed and up until then everything I had been told was really vague. I expressed my concerns to my supervisor numerous times but was always ignored. The location I worked at was very unorganized and nobody had every been properly trained in the software.

Listen to your employees if they express concerns. Don't just throw someone in and expect them to know every little thing when you haven't provided any real training. I was extremely excited to work for this company as I saw a long term career with Paul Mitchell but based solely on the location I worked at I would not recommend this company to other people.

A big company that is ran like a mom-n-pop shop.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great office location. Employer has name recognition in the real world. Looks good on the resume. Access to product at great prices. Lasting friendships.

Cons

Cult-like working atmosphere. Blind worship of the CEO, calling him 'our fearless leader' (really?). Most employees who are not in upper management are overworked and are very stressed out. People develop health issues and get burned out. Certain departments in Century City are ran by incompetent and maybe bi-polar directors who emotionally abuse their employees. Screaming, belittling and treating people unprofessionally is a usual occurrence. People are afraid to speak up about the abuses, scared to lose their jobs. Below-market salaries are explained by telling the employees that the culture and the sense of family outweighs the money. Nepotism and croneyism runs the place. How do you speak up if the person who is abusive is related or is best friends with the upper management team? Most people are salary and work 6-7 days a week with no overtime pay. Promised advances or future professional growth never materializes.

Stop the double-standard of letting abuses slide for your friends and family within the company. Treat everyone with the same respect. Revamp the age demographic of the people in power in the company. The sales will go back up. Stop being hush-hush about available opportunities. More transparency in the work place would alleviate some of the concern that employees have about their future within the company.

6. Learning Leader

I worked at John Paul Mitchell part-time

Pros

lots of good pros. great staff

Cons

not any that I can think of.

Best Place I've Ever Worked!

Current Employee - Service Desk Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Service Desk Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The management team is outstanding
    -The learning leaders really want to be here and have a passion for teaching
    -I love coming to work, it is such a great environment and I have the best co-workers
    -The company is very passionate about giving back and we constantly are FUNrasing for charity

Cons

There really isn't any cons to working here, it is such an up beat and fun place to work

Great company

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

Growth with company. Great culture.

Cons

Human resources department needs to be outsourced

Out source HR department

not ideal for long term

Former Employee - Learning Leader
    Former Employee - Learning Leader

I worked at John Paul Mitchell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

educating the future professionals, exciting to have so much to participate in, and you actually feel like your making a difference. if you have a lot of time, no personal life, and no bills to pay then this is the place for you

Cons

takes up all of your personal time, promised raises hardly happen, not enough recognition, and at my particular location the management was not interested in making learning leaders happy. felt overworked.

listen to your staff. if they are not happy they will leave, all of them.

Overall, I enjoyed working at PMTS Normal.

Former Employee - Learning Leader in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Learning Leader in Normal, IL

I worked at John Paul Mitchell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

To make a difference in a persons' life.

Cons

The pay is not enough for the various kinds of responsibilities that is expected of a learning leader.

Learning leaders should be respected more and paid better.

Poor work environment. Long hours, low pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at John Paul Mitchell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- A good set of basic start for hairstylists wanting to branch out into post-secondary education.
    - Some opportunities for on-job training.
    - Opportunity to work with students

Cons

Poor quality of leadership (both local & corporate), uses English as second language.
    Workload is high, support is poor, unqualified or non-existent, Goals are unrealistic. Expected to work off the clock.
    Micro-managed on trivialities, while core business issues are neglected.
    Very disorganized. Basics are lacking. No sense of priorities. No accountability. No shame.
    Dismissive of staff and students.
    Constantly having to step in for deficient management, then being blamed for outcomes.
    Absentee managers, absentee owners, absentee everything. When management present does more harm than good.
    High level of drama cripples ability to conduct business
    Integrity issues. High job turnover.

Management recruited within friends, family, romantic relationships or on Craigslist. Lacking basic competencies. Work atmosphere is medieval, while staff lectured about integrity and "positive work attitude". Low morale. The place is a three-ring circus.