John Paul Mitchell Reviews

1. Learning Leader

Current Employee - Learning Leader in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Learning Leader in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell part-time

Pros

I love the school. The owners are the best.. If you work hard you will be rewarded.

Cons

Hard to keep loyal staff

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced staff

2. Disappointed

Former Employee - Learning Leader in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Learning Leader in Carrollton, TX

I worked at John Paul Mitchell (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, easy commute. Some of the staff were sincere team players. This made working there a little bearable. Loved the students.

Cons

School's esthetics program has potential, however poor leadership. Students education does not come first, sad to say, but very true. The students invests too much to not get the quality of education that they were told they would get. If you're in this for just a pay check then you may fair well, but if you're passionate about what you do and the quality of education you give then your frustration is imminent.

Advice to Management

Not even sure that management will listen. Too many great instructors have left because of the poor leadership. Nothing's changing

3. Service Desk Associate

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

Fun atmosphere, team building is fun if you get along with team members, getting to know/mentor the students

Cons

A little hard to create friendships with learning leaders, training are those rainbow-sunshine-we-are-all-dreamers kind of training, drama

5. Admissions

Former Employee - Admissions in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions in Sacramento, CA

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

environment in the schools has great energy. There are opportunities to grow.

Cons

Pay is ok. Each school can vary with pay.

Advice to Management

Your staff know the in's and out's of what actually goes on. They experience it first hand. Listen to them. They matter.

6. Opportunity for a fun work environment

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

The Paul Mitchell culture is amazing. The energy at the school is really what had me excited everyday while working there. If you are looking to work in the Cosmetology industry, Paul Mitchell schools is great for growing as an educator, support staff, management or learning more about the industry itself.

Cons

The pay is ok. corporate changes occur frequently with revisions to school procedures.

Advice to Management

Definitely listen to your team member's suggestions. They are the in's and out's of the school and flow with the traffic of education, learning and guest services. They are the eyes and ears of what works and what doesn't.

7. Educator

Former Employee - Premier Educator in Crookston, MN
    Former Employee - Premier Educator in Crookston, MN

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

Passion,philosophy and a respect for people and the environment. A fantastic company to work for!

Cons

Requires an investment to travel

Great Learning Experience

I worked at John Paul Mitchell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If your looking to further your education in the beauty industry this is a great way to go. I went in as a regular cosmetology graduate, and in a short period of time I was given the opportuniy to become an instructor and i did it!

Cons

It is very involved and you can find yourself working without a day off for a week r two depending on how busy the schedule of events is.

Management is Ridiculous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

If you want to work in a place full of drama and unprofessional people you're in the right place

Cons

Everything was a con. No structure, no leadership, no real management, everyone that's hired on in every single department is not properly trained. If you're promoted within the company count on teaching yourself and getting paid very little for all of your hard work and effort

Advice to Management

Sell the school to owners who care more about their school than their appearance and fancy things. Fire half of the staff and hire new employees who care Get a new director!! Not one who's been promoted and demoted several times.

10. This was a high demand job with low pay and little training.

Former Employee - Service Desk Coordinator
    Former Employee - Service Desk Coordinator

I worked at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

I love being in the learning environment. Seeing the future professionals grow and and learn new things was amazing. I am a licensed cosmetologist so I am passionate about the industry.

Cons

I was given poor training, and very limited amounts of training. I was told I was not expected to know everything off the bat, but that was not true. There was no real structure to anything. I was assuming there would be a rotation of future professionals as far as who gets the next guests, but that was not the case. I had other employees asking learning leaders "which future professionals are good" and they were the ones who seemed to stay busy. I had one girl come up to me and thank me with such a tone of gratitude for giving her a guest because she hasn't had one in MONTHS. That is so unprofessional, and unethical. I was let go after a month of working there because I wasn't catching on quickly enough. He called me on Monday (my off day) to tell me he was letting me go (again, so professional right) I could go on forever, but I'm sure

Advice to Management

Make sure you have someone with proper knowledge to train new employees. Management should have a bit more.respect for New employees, for each other and for the future professionals.

11. Depending on the location, this could be s good job.

I have been working at John Paul Mitchell

Pros

I interviewed for one position but was offered a higher up position. The pay was great but that's about it. What I will say though is depending on the location you work at your experience could differ greatly from mine.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Worked everyday with the exclusion of Sundays(the school is closed otherwise I'm sure I would have been expected to work some Sunday's as well). I received very little training but was expected to know everything a few days into working there. Also it wasn't until about 2 weeks in that I even knew what my position entailed and up until then everything I had been told was really vague. I expressed my concerns to my supervisor numerous times but was always ignored. The location I worked at was very unorganized and nobody had every been properly trained in the software.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees if they express concerns. Don't just throw someone in and expect them to know every little thing when you haven't provided any real training. I was extremely excited to work for this company as I saw a long term career with Paul Mitchell but based solely on the location I worked at I would not recommend this company to other people.

RSS Feed </> Embed