John Q. Hammons Reviews

Updated July 15, 2014
Updated July 15, 2014

2.5

Jacqueline A. Dowdy

Pros
  • If you are entry level, this is a great place to start your career (in 3 reviews)

• Larger hotels in the chain, usually working on 'better' properties (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance, and it doesn't have to be that way (in 5 reviews)

• The health insurance is horrible (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid work place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good management. They take care of their employees, and will value you provided you bring some value to them, much like any form of proper employment.

Pay is determined on average compensation for that region and position.

Cons

Pay is determined on average compensation for that region and position. This is only a con depending on your profession in relation to the region.

JQH needs to be released from the contract or they need to make major changes

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of the larger franchise management companies. The hotels are branded with major flags. Some locations are good.

Cons

ZERO holiday pay, very little PTO - not comporable with the industry standard. Old school way of thinking, still doing some things like a old school tick sheet. JQH is a very cheap company which does not take care of its employees. The operate on a thin staff and try to put as little money as possible into the properties. They expect any in management to handle multiple roles due to the thin staff.

Overhaul benefits, compensation and most of all change out the management. Bring in people with fresh, new ideas. However you need to be open to listening to the fresh new ideas. It isnt the 80's invest in technology, case in point, tick sheets, really? Invest in the properties not only from a capital side of things but on a staffing angle. All you are is burning and churning the employees which is getting you no where!

Great people but...

Current Employee - Manager  in  Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great people who put their heart into their jobs.

Cons

Compensation once your hired DOES NOT keep up with market. Structure and direction is lacking. Budget and operations are unclear and micro managed from corporate. Communication between JQH and Marriott is met with reluctance.

Keeping associates is industry wide a best practice. Salary, bonuses, or benifits need to be overhauled.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't stay long

I worked at John Q. Hammons full-time for less than a year

Pros

Will train people new to the industry
    Hotels appear nice, big
    Looks good on a resume

Cons

Very little PTO
    Health insurance is terrible
    Training is hit and miss
    Systems and policy's straight out of the 80's, kills a forest daily with unneeded paperwork
    Advancement is who you know, not what you know.
    Hotels need major renovations, even though they may look good on the surface.

Welcome to the 21 century, look around and see all the advances.
    Ground level people count too!

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Event Services  in  Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Event Services in Rogers, AR

I have been working at John Q. Hammons part-time for more than a year

Pros

Team cohesiveness and work environment played a large role in keeping the employees engaged and focused at the tasks at hand.

Cons

Hours were the main concern but vary by location. Expect to work really late on nights with large events.

Not so great but good for short term employment

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not too many. Hotels look nice on outside.

Cons

Benefits and PTO policy lack. The company is cheap and doesn't really upgrade when necessary. No one is willing to change and that makes it difficult for new ideas to come up the table. Training is half-assed.

Praise employees more. Celebrate successes. Offer more benefits and better PTO. Train managers better.

a wonderful company to work for

Current Employee - Construction Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at John Q. Hammons as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

a good company, the owner died

Cons

one owner company, very limited

give employees power to change

Overworked, Career stalled, terrible management practices

Current Employee - Guest Services Associate (Front Desk)  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Guest Services Associate (Front Desk) in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some of the coworkers I have are what makes going in daily worth it
    - Larger hotels in the chain, usually working on 'better' properties

The coworkers I've had at this company are some of the best I've ever had. We all try to help each other out as best as we can given what resources and time we may have.

Cons

- Absolutely outdated systems in every department. Takes more time to do the job than actually necessary
    - Poor PTO implementation
    - No paid holidays
    - Overworked and grossly underpaid for the amount of work put in
    - Promotions are promised and never followed through on.
    - Insurance/Benefits are horrible

As another reviewer said about this company in order to make it to management you seem to have to "drink the kool-aid". If the way my hotel is run is any indication this company is doomed. Managers overly-micro manage every situation yet refuse to listen to the most logical advice. Guests are quite unhappy with numerous policies and don't understand why the hotel staff seems to have to go through many obstacles to get simple things done anymore.

We've had multiple employees try to advance upwards in the career tracks but be stalled out and brought in from outside sources. The new managers fail because they don't understand how we work and then the employees feel completely disgusted with how the hotel operates and management wonders why employee turnover is so high.

The insurance and benefits are laughable. Your first years insurance isn't really much in the way of insurance and if you're not on salary it can end up being a sizable portion of your paycheck every month.

Get out of the past. Upgrade every system you can. Employee efficiency will skyrocket. Listen to your employees seriously, don't just pay them lip service. If they're happy it'll transfer to the guests. Give your employees paid holidays, give us better benefits, give us a reason to stay with you and not jump to another company when we have the chance. Right now it feels like we're sinking like the Titanic and the management are the ones who believe it'll never sink while the employees are the ones ready to jump for their lives.

Bad reviews not harsh enough

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at John Q. Hammons full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice looking hotels, usually four star quality.

Cons

No vision of management. Employees are no mor valuable to them than a ream of paper. Company sales leaders more interested in KPI's than results and signed contracts. Top guy at VP level more intersted in hawking a trio of training books than listening to field force. Equipment slow and outdated PTO is near slave policy. Eleven days total including holidays and sick days,after a year? Really?

Quit trying to do things the way Mr. Hammons would have wanted. Move forward, get a vision and a soul. Figure out that your employees are most valuable asset, not bricks and mortar.

JQH is a very solid management company with many quality properties.

I worked at John Q. Hammons

Pros

The company operationally sound but more importantly is top line sales driven. Base salaries in sales and catering tend to be fair to low however sales bonuses are achievable and paid quarterly.

Cons

As with many management companies operational labor reductions has hampered the ability to deliver a high level of customer service. This also applies to reinvestment in technology and service equipment that associates need to do the job better.

Balance the bottom line with reinvestment in people (salaries & training) and make sure they have the tools they need to do the job better for you.

Worked for John Q. Hammons? Contribute to the Community!