John Tyler Community College

CEO

Adjunct Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Midlothian, VA

I have been working at John Tyler Community College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The administrators are easy to talk to and are all very friendly. The facilities are new and nice too-- great computer labs with nice projectors and other amenities that make teaching very easy. I have a lot of freedom with my syllabus and with teaching material too.

Cons

I can't say much about the coworker environment because I have literally never met my coworkers-- I teach at night. The pay isn't great.

JTCC

Former Employee - Lecturer
    Former Employee - Lecturer

I worked at John Tyler Community College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility and autonomy are freely offered.

Cons

Low pay rate for adjunct faculty (and faculty)

Well-run higher education institution with lots of opportunities to expand your skills.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA

I have been working at John Tyler Community College

Pros

One of the fastest growing community colleges in the country which makes it an exciting place to work. Upper-level administrators that are accessible and listen and consider employee concerns.
    Great teaching faculty and superior staff make things run smoothly and make a great team-oriented environment.
    Well-run budget and administrative policies.
    Most employees truly care about their job and the students they serve from the teachers to the enrollment specialists to the security officers.
    Less beauracracy and a very flat management layout results in less hoops to jump through and therefore less mistakes, making it easier to accomplish your goal or get questions answered. This also results in a smaller employee environment so it is not easy to get lost in the crowd (in other words the President probably knows who you are and makes an effort to talk to you no matter who you are).
    Most management staff are flexible on employee issues.
    Great state benefits package.
    Great place to improve and expand your skills if you want to put in the extra effort.
    In my personal opinion, the best run community college in the Virginia Community College System.

Cons

Salaries aren't competitive except perhaps in upper management. The same or a similar position at another VCCS school will pay you more and you will probably have to do less work for it since JTCC employees often multi-task jobs and pitch in to make up shortfalls in needed areas. The advantage of a small employee, nice team-oriented, and extra skill-building environment can also be a disadvantage, depending on your priorities.
    Occasionally, semi-incompetent people are put in charge of areas for unknown reasons by perfectly competent upper-level administrators. I'm still trying to figure out how this happens.
    Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on credentials (i.e. PhD) rather than competence but this problem is not nearly on the level that most 4-year schools do this.

Be more competitive with salaries or you will find many of your best talents relocating to other institutions.

Worked for John Tyler Community College? Contribute to the Community!