Johns Hopkins Medicine

Be The First To
Add Photos

Johns Hopkins Medicine CEO Paul B. Rothman

Paul B. Rothman

Pros
  • Tons of opportunities for cutting-edge research, education, mentorship, shadowing, etc especially for the medical school applicant (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits including tuition remission (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay compared to industry and government agencies (in 6 reviews)

• low salary for students, although they are working very hard which contributes more than what they are given (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Offers a lifetime of challenges and rewards.

IT Director (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBeing part of a world-class organization with a positive mission that actually helps improve the human condition locally and around the world. Considerable flexibility that helps with work-life balance.

ConsSlightly lower salaries, no big-time perks (like stock options). Enterprise-level decentralization that, on the one hand, is good and encourages self-initiative and minimizes bureaucracy, but on the other hand is frustrating when centralized resources and/or funding are required and very hard to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementDo much more to encourage and support entrepreneurship, coordination of resources such as core facilities, and put MUCH more emphasis on internal communication (like there's an HPC facility being built at the Bayview campus but nobody except those most immediately involve really know what's going on with it, or even know it's happening).

In the labs, but not for long...

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe name recognition is good for publishing and grants. There are a lot of cross-over (clinical, translational, animal facility, multi-disciplinary, etc) opportunities...although it may be overwhelming and hard to identify where and how to get your foot in a new door.

ConsThe turn-over is shorter than I was used to at a research-intensive university. Mainly because there aren't really graduate students at the Medical Campus downtown. As a result, we get 1 year MD fellows, lab techs taking a year off to apply to med school, and the occasional postdoc (staying 2-3yrs max). But if you get independent funding, they will help to promote you to faculty status.

Great Place to work

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFlexible hours, great benefits, professional and well organized

ConsAnnual pay increases have been 1%. Too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementA happy employee is a productive employee

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

None Professional

Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe Benefits are the best in the world

ConsNutrition Department Leadership do not have respect for it's employees

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership need to take customer service classes

Graduate Assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsOne gets to learn a lot. Working with the best doctors and researchers in the field of medicine helps you a lot to grow as a student.

ConsAs a graduate assistant, working hours are not fixed. You may be called in anytime to work.

Amazing

Research Technologist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat People who love working with curious minds. It offers a lot of intellectually stimulating opportunities. I met with various important doctors who made the environment inspiring.

ConsThe pay is not as high as it should be. Considering the difficulty of the science at hand, $17 an hour is not nearly enough considering the educational background.

Great place to work

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLots of groundbreaking research going on. Tons of smart and interesting people. Good benefits including tuition remission.

ConsBad neighborhood, either have to pay for expensive on-campus parking or deal with shuttles from satellite parking lots

Good Place to Boost Career

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe Hopkins name on your resume. Resources of powerful research community. Baltimore's charm.

ConsLow pay. Scientists are often compete against each other for funding and recognition. Baltimore's crime.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your research assistants more and add parking facilities.

Excellent academic opportunity

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThis is an excellent academic center and job opportunity. The environment is highly collaborative. The institution offers a unique opportunity to work and collaborate with individuals, departments, and fields outside one's own. While highly invested in their work, colleagues are exceptionally helpful with promoting academic development of younger trainees who are beginning their career. This is by far one of the premier academic institutions in the country and an exceptional location to trainee and beginning a rich academic career in medicine.

ConsSalary at the lower end of comparative competitive salaries.

I love Johns Hopkins it is the Best Hospital in the World.

Support Center Agent (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat place to work, Good Pay, Great Benifits

ConsParking, parking can be expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementMore classes about the different programs we work with.

Worked for Johns Hopkins Medicine? Contribute to the Community!