Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Updated February 2, 2015
4.1

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Director Dr. Ralph Semmel
Dr. Ralph Semmel

Pros
  • Your colleagues are brilliant and management respects a solid work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits and 8% match on 4% retirement contribution (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate (in 4 reviews)

• The quality of the project managers varies (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to work ever!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, the retirement is the best I've seen as well as their benefits package as a whole.

Cons

Too conservative for their own good sometimes. The lab is very big on education therefore, they prefer degrees before experience.

Exceptional employer

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The APL is one of the best places to work. They have exceptional benefits, the pay is good, and the culture is very conducive to people with a STEM background. Both my group and section supervisors have created a very friendly work-group where people can interact and learn from each other. There is very little "tribal knowledge" and older engineers are very helpful to younger engineers wanting to learn. I have never worked at a better place than the APL and will probably never find a better place in the future!

Cons

The APL is located in Maryland. Maryland sucks. There is nothing but crime-filled, dirty cities and dense forest. If you like city life you won't like Baltimore, if you like country life you won't like western Maryland. If you like hiking you won't like the Appalachian Trail, if you like mountains you won't like any of the "bumps" that Marylanders call mountains. If you like cycling you will die, if you like going for relaxing drives you will be tailgated by some psychopath and if you like driving fast you will be cut off by some bumbling tourist who has no idea where they are going. Skiing is out of the question, boating is also out (unless you love filthy Chesapeake Bay water). I you don't have a spirit of adventure and just like throwing back beers with your buds while watching the big game, Maryland might be the place for you! If the APL was located anywhere other than Maryland it might be the perfect place to work!

Keep doing what you are doing! Don't cave in to the "cut everything to appease stockholders" mentality that is hurting other government contractors.

Best job I ever had!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work / life balance, great benefits, collaborative workspace

Cons

none that I have experienced

Keep up the good work!

Very good

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional and personal growth encouraged; not a cut-throat environment; emphasis on sharing knowledge.

Cons

Some of the management staff are entrenched in their ways of conducting business.

Listen to new staff and value their perceptions.

A good place to grow

Former Employee - Associate Staff I (Engineer) in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Associate Staff I (Engineer) in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great facilities and mentorship. Also a good retirement plan.

Cons

There is no shuttle service linking the lab to public trasportation (e.g. the Laurel MARC, Greenbelt station) or to the main JHU campus in Baltimore. Also, they got rid of the library. Both factors made me less excited working there as a young person.

Great place to work

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

great place to work with great management

Cons

pay tends to be lower than industry

Review

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

Access to government roles & responsibilities.

Cons

Limited advancement unless former military.

Great learning experience, Awesome work environment around co-workers, not so awesome intern atmosphere

Former Intern - Software Developer/Analyst in Laurel, MD
    Former Intern - Software Developer/Analyst in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Get the opportunity to learn a lot about certain DoD contracts; get to understand the context of what you are doing in the midst of an entire project
    - Great work environment; laid back, and co-workers understand that interns want to learn, and will do everything in their power to help you do so
    - Great weekly presentations by others in the department that I worked in, helped me understand the many different accomplishments of the department

Cons

- compensation is good, but not the best
    - intern atmosphere is lacking; there weren't many campus-wide intern events throughout the summer to get to know interns
    - some departments have more interesting projects than others
    - DoD contracts can sometimes run dry, resulting in certain parts of projects not getting done (happened to me when part of a project I participated in cancelled)

- pay your interns a little bit more (thus accepting fewer interns)
    - Do a better job at giving a background of what each big department does when recruiting interns, and do a better job of describing sub-departments within APL branches

Wonderful Place to Work

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here for 14 years now and don't plan on leaving until retirement (one week away from five weeks of leave!). APL provides challenging work while at the same time taking care of all the extra stuff well (benefits, tech support, etc.) for you so that you can concentrate on your work.

Cons

I have not experienced many cons that I wouldn't have seen at any other organization that relies on government contracts. That can have its ups and downs, but when in place, it provides an opportunity to do good for the country. That said, after seeing the salary ranges here for people of my APL classification, I'm not sure I'm as satisfied with my salary as I was 10 minutes ago! :)

Continue to focus on vision and direction. Helping us to know what you are thinking our future is helps keep morale high.

Wide variety of Opportunities

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

One review is not adequate as there is a large variety in the kind and type of work assignments. Staff should consider moving around with in the Laboratory to find optimal work. Network building around the Lab is key to success. Best work environment I've ever been in.

Cons

None that I know of!

What made the Lab successful may not work in the future.....be more cutting edge!

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Photos

APL Campus
The APL campus

+ Add Photo

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory