Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Updated September 17, 2014
3.9

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Director Dr. Ralph Semmel
Dr. Ralph Semmel

Pros
  • Work life balance, retirement contribution matching, health benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

• good benefits but often not very good work (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate (in 4 reviews)

• The quality of the project managers varies (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment

Former Employee - Intern  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I greatly enjoyed the people I worked with, as they were all bright individuals who wanted to succeed in their positions.

Cons

There is some bureaucracy, but given they do a lot of government work this is not too surprising.

Consider allowing interns to do more things together.

Diverse place to work

Former Employee - Senior Professional Staff  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Professional Staff in Columbia, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Timely research, collaborative research community, many opportunities to move around or up. Working at JHUAPL can be quite rewarding as projects and technologies often appear in national news stories. The Lab typically dos a good job seeking out expertise within the organization, and staff members are encouraged to stretch their wings

Cons

Funding is cyclical, and the whims of upper management are even worse. Bing primarily funded by the Department of Defense, the funding cycle can seem like extreme feast or famine. Making matters worse, is that the leadership seems to get bogged down in micromanagement at the most inopportune moments.

Transparency !

I didn't know my dream job existed until I found APL

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For someone that's primarily interested in doing deep technical work, this is the place to be. The technological breadth that APL offers is, to my knowledge, unmatched anywhere else.

Cons

Promotions can take a long time to get and often has more to do with years of service than impact of contributions.

Be more progressive in rewarding good work with higher pay and faster promotions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Pros

Solid benefits, meaningful work, many opportunities for technical and management growth

Cons

One downside of it being such a great place to work is that people do stay. If you're looking for a young, hip, office culture you should look elsewhere. But decades of experience and interest in learning are both valued.

Great place full of smart people

Former Employee - Technical Aide  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Aide in Laurel, MD

Pros

To this day, some of the most intelligent people I have met worked in this facility. The managers are flexible with working hours. There are a lot of resources available for any technical problem that needs solving.

Cons

Very few downsides besides being tied to the US Government.

Keep doing what you are doing. Encourage interns to take on more responsibility

Great place to work, friendly people and interesting work

Former Employee - Intern  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Laurel, MD

Pros

The people were great to work with and the projects you work on are all very interesting

Cons

The work can be challenging and frustrating at times

Keep doing what you're doing

Better than I could have expected.

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

APL is a large organization and your experience may vary depending on where you land in the lab. I've been working at the lab for a little more than a year (also interned for a summer) and from my point of view, everything has been a positive experience. Everybody is friendly and willing to help you learn and grow as an engineer and there really seems to be an emphasis on advancing knowledge of the community as a whole.

Cons

I have not encountered any notable negatives thus far.

Keep doing what you're doing.

APl is a very challenging and stimulating work environment with a critical mission in support of national security

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

APL has very interesting and important work, a great atmosphere, and a highly committed staff who belive strongly in their work and enjoy their fellow employees.

Cons

The organization is a bit too stove piped and communications both vertically and horizontally are not as efficient as they should be.

Management has overly emphasized cost containment for the past 4 years and it has gotten to the point where it has begun to affect staff morale. A bit more balance is needed .

Great projects in high tech at nexus of research and industry

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, laid back environment, lots of talented people, wide variety of projects, great place to learn new skills, they'll pay for your MS or PhD.

Cons

Fairly gradual career advancement/promotion means young professional may not have the patience to stay more than a few years. Internal IT is antiquated and DOD bureaucracy hinders some projects.

Try to provide a clear timescale for the career ladder esp. for the young.

Summer Internship

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern

Pros

You are treated like a full-time employee and given the same type of projects (just less of them). Paid very well.

Cons

The management is unorganized at times.

N/A

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Photos

APL Campus
The APL campus

+ Add Photo

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!