Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Updated February 2, 2015
4.1

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Director Dr. Ralph Semmel
Dr. Ralph Semmel

Pros
  • Your colleagues are brilliant and management respects a solid work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits and 8% match on 4% retirement contribution (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate (in 4 reviews)

• The quality of the project managers varies (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to work ever!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, the retirement is the best I've seen as well as their benefits package as a whole.

Cons

Too conservative for their own good sometimes. The lab is very big on education therefore, they prefer degrees before experience.

Very good

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional and personal growth encouraged; not a cut-throat environment; emphasis on sharing knowledge.

Cons

Some of the management staff are entrenched in their ways of conducting business.

Listen to new staff and value their perceptions.

Best job I ever had!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work / life balance, great benefits, collaborative workspace

Cons

none that I have experienced

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

great place to work with great management

Cons

pay tends to be lower than industry

Wonderful Place to Work

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here for 14 years now and don't plan on leaving until retirement (one week away from five weeks of leave!). APL provides challenging work while at the same time taking care of all the extra stuff well (benefits, tech support, etc.) for you so that you can concentrate on your work.

Cons

I have not experienced many cons that I wouldn't have seen at any other organization that relies on government contracts. That can have its ups and downs, but when in place, it provides an opportunity to do good for the country. That said, after seeing the salary ranges here for people of my APL classification, I'm not sure I'm as satisfied with my salary as I was 10 minutes ago! :)

Continue to focus on vision and direction. Helping us to know what you are thinking our future is helps keep morale high.

Wide variety of Opportunities

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

One review is not adequate as there is a large variety in the kind and type of work assignments. Staff should consider moving around with in the Laboratory to find optimal work. Network building around the Lab is key to success. Best work environment I've ever been in.

Cons

None that I know of!

What made the Lab successful may not work in the future.....be more cutting edge!

A good place to stay

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Laurel, MD

Pros

The pace is so large you can change professions and still stay with the same employer. You can transfer from department to department or program to program. The work will stretch your capabilities if you will let it. Some of the work is very long range, like photonic computers. Other work is very near term. About 70% of the technical staff have advanced degrees. You can always find someone smarter than you from who you can learn, but there is always someone you can mentor. Some programs are very high pressure, but others are very laid back. I like this place enough to encourage my child to also work here as an engineer.

Cons

The salaries are OK, but not tops. If you are willing to put in extra hours and bust your bum you can find better salaries elsewhere. You don't work here for the money, but for the challenging task and the good working environment. For new hires the salaries are competitive, but for those later in their career the raises really taper off. The raises to older staff border on age discrimination.

A great place to intern and learn!

Former Intern - Technical Intern in Laurel, MD
    Former Intern - Technical Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very intelligent coworkers.
    Interesting and important projects.
    Real work for interns. (no coffee runs!)
    Great campus.
    Amazing benefits including the use of a 3d printer!

As I was only an inter, I cannot directly speak to their promotions. I did however hear that they were reasonable and kept their workers quite happy.

Cons

Very few young people.
    Heavy traffic in the surrounding areas.

Honestly there were very few drawbacks! I had an amazing time and would recommend it to anyone!.

I would suggest that the management put more time into fun competitions between the interns. Someone had a great idea to set up an Intern Scavenger Hunt. More ridiculous games would be appreciated.

Great place to work

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

Love it here. Interesting work. Smart people. Great benefits. My favorite job I've ever had. Plus there are sometimes food trucks!

Cons

Sometimes you'll be either very busy or have a light schedule. The bigger issue is the location (which I know you can't do much about). It's going to be a long commute if you want to live in either of the cities (DC; Baltimore).

APL is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD

Pros

APL is an exciting and interesting place to work. You will have the opportunity to work on many projects and management is very receptive to placing you on projects you want to be on. If you value a hybrid academic/industrial atmosphere APL might be a good fit for you. Your colleagues are brilliant and management respects a solid work/life balance. Good benefits and 8% match on 4% retirement contribution!

Cons

Base pay can be under what you might get for the same expertise elsewhere. It can also take awhile to move up the ranks because no one ever leaves.

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Photos

APL Campus
The APL campus

+ Add Photo

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory