Johns Hopkins University

Updated September 17, 2014
4.0

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels
Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Bad neighborhood for the medical campus (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

211 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

satisfied

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can review some of the knowledge while doing TA. Only 10 hours per week. It is quite helpful for a student to be a TA. You can also get some money while you are studying there.

Cons

It may be easier for PHD student to get the position. For undergraduate and master student, you just apply as soon as possible.

I think it is quite OK with the management. The professor who teach that course will first ask the PHD in his team whether they want to be the TA, and then, if there are no proper candidates, the department will sent email to all the students for recruiting the TA.

Excellent!

Current Employee - Senior Research Data Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been employed with JHU for 14+ years and have truly learned a lot from the experience. There are always mentors, opportunities, and learning experiences available.

Cons

The administration at JHU can be challenging. Slow and lots of red tape at various steps. Perhaps that is the case with an institution this large!

A wonderful place to work...if you are in the right department.

Current Employee - Academic Program Coordinator  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Academic Program Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brilliant people, lots of interdisciplinary energy. Pretty good benefits. It is very decentralized, so if you are in the right department, working with the right faculty/staff it can be a fantastic experience.

Cons

The wages are not great, especially for staff, and raises have been small for the last several years, with no signs of getting better. The work climate is department specific, so if you land in a dysfunctional department (and there are a lot of them) then it can be a terrible experience, with micromanaging just the beginning of the list. The decentralized workplace also means that policies and procedures are not usually obvious or set in stone, making much of the work day about diplomacy and figuring out how to make things work (in my case) for the students, instead of just doing the job.

Raise pay. Increase raises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to do research and supportive faculty and staff!

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Surrounded by exceptional people who are smart and committed. Within my department, office administration is super knowledgeable and supportive. Beautiful campus to work on!

Cons

Pay and benefits standard for postdocs. No solution to this larger problem.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very collaborative environment with many exciting areas of research.

Cons

Sometimes I feel that my supervisor is not helping me plan and achieve my career goals.

Nice place to work!

Current Employee - Library Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at the MSE library for the summer part time. Well, the work itself is kind of boring. But I have a group of soo nice colleagues that are so nice . I really enjoyed the work there.

Cons

I know a student work there (half study half work) and was exempted of all the tuition fees for the graduate study

TA

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University part-time for less than a year

Pros

The professors are excellent and you can learn a lot.
    The salary here is attracting.

Cons

As everyone here is hard working, you should learn always otherwise you will lose.

Continue to put more attention to Carey Business School.

good place to work

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many good labs.excellent work and environment

Cons

pressure to finish the work without attention of the details

A good experience

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for less than a year

Pros

a lot of research experience, opportunity to publish papers and attend national conferences,

Cons

the salary is under paid. always work over 40 hours. office environment is not comfortable

Rides on its good name/reputation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having "Johns Hopkins" on your CV looks good no matter what. Hopkins has a reputation for excellence.

Cons

Pay grade is low across the board.
    Benefits used to be good but the institution has dramatically cut health benefits while increasing the cost of coverage.
    You may see a maximum 2% increase which doesn't cover cost of living expenses increase.
    Opportunity for growth is limited for a variety of disciplines and HR & management are not helpful with working with employees to shape and achieve career goals.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!