Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews in Baltimore, MD

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• Bad neighborhood for the medical campus(in 8 reviews)

184 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Graduate student public health

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsSome of the most influential methodologists; able to learn most up-to-date statistical and epidemiological techniques. May have government funding available for PhD level research. Not difficult to collaborate with the best and brightest. If you're outgoing and know what you want, you can get a great education here and develop fantastic collaborations.

ConsStrong emphasis on developing academic researchers to the exclusion of breadth of public health education. Incredibly competitive atmosphere-sometimes hard to reach professors.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what students want from a curriculum.

Great benefits and nice atmosphere.

Senior Administrative Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBenefits, flexibility, working with smart people.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level, it is difficult to move up.

Nice place to work and study

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent studying atmosphere, top level professors and college students, great campus environment.

ConsSometimes pressures from courses. Bad neighborhood for the medical campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

like the university a lot, good place to do a phd.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosgood place to do a phd degree. very nice professors and atomphese.

Consproject can be very challenging and need a lot of time investment.

It was a wonderful place. The staff there were absolutely nice and very helpful and resourceful.

Mail Clerk (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe pros are that once you are in the Johns hopkins family its easier for you to move around for professional growth.

ConsThe cons were that if you are temporary even at your best efforts you could be let go of due to hiring status. I encourage you to keep trying!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for allowing myself to work with you and one day we shall work again in a different forum.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIt is really a good school for scientist and students. The salary is OK, just house expense is too high in Baltimore.

ConsIt is really a good school for scientist and students. The salary is OK, just house expense is too high in Baltimore.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBeing a teaching assistant was an enlightening experience: you saw how tests were graded and, sometimes, the flexibility that came in grading (maybe this wasn't a fair question; maybe this was worded funny; etc.). The pay was also pretty good at $12/hr. And usually professors are understanding come finals time.

ConsNo major cons really. It's a good experience that I would recommend taking if you have the opportunity. I guess the schedule isn't as flexible as other student jobs because you'll have to be there for class, but that's certainly understandable.

Great intellectual culture

Faculty (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsVery energetic, productive, prestigious faculty
    Lots of opportunity and freedom to develop a research agenda
    Excellent library and research support staff
    Excellent, intellectually focused students
    Senior faculty are welcoming and generous when asked
    Baltimore is interesting with decent cost of living and rich local culture
    Close to DC and NYC
    JHU is an urban university with multiple campuses in Baltimore and DC. University leadership is taking positive steps to improve neighborhoods around its various campuses
    Lots of opportunities for non-faculty spouses

ConsVery little mentoring
    Senior faculty do not take initiative in reaching out to new faculty
    Very high pressure "publish or perish" culture
    Baltimore's reputation as a high crime city is way overblown. Lots of local news focusing on crime, but actual statistics are not so bad. The city is quickly gentrifying with many safe, affordable neighborhoods.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on developing a welcoming, collegial faculty culture

Great Place

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsPeople are really nice and my manager was really helpful. Working environment is very good and the food.

ConsThe only thing I can talk is that the problems are a little bit too boring. Work-Life is not a problem.

Challenging environment. Lots of talent. Known for academics and research, not business processes

Director Finance (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsWorking with some brilliant people can be motivating. You won't become rich working at Hopkins, but you can make a living. Lots of opportunity for training and advancement. Good work is recognized.

ConsYou may have to move laterally to move up. Talent is in the Academic and Research areas. Business leadership tends toward bureaucratic. You won't hear "thank you" from the top very often, but collegial relationships can be developed to accomplish what needs to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around a little. Meet the staff and understand that they are more committed to mission and institutional mission than leadership. Look for competence and creativity, not for acquiescence. Management needs to earn respect in the same way staff is measured through competence and collaboration.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!