Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• There is safety issues around the Medical Campus, although it is less of a concern around Homewood(in 7 reviews)

Post-Doct

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsA great place to work.

ConsReally bad place to live.

An rewarding experience, supporting the educational and social advancement of under-privileged students.

School Transformation Facilitator (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsThe flexibility and travel to reach students throughout the USA.

ConsThe yearly uncertainty of available grant money to support the funding of this model in Louisiana.

Advice to Senior ManagementGuaranteeing job security from year to year.

A great working environment with students, faculty, and staff.

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsWonderful colleagues, both the faculty and staff, in my experience. The benefits were great. I had a great working relationship with my boss and various other departments and offices.

ConsParking is a challenge. There wasn't a lot of room for salary increases even if you were out-performing your job requirements.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Tutor

ProsI enjoy working in a campus environment.

ConsDue to time limit, the job has to be ended.

Basic Science Research

ProsA lot of very talented scientists, science area is very diverse, lots of collaboration opportunities, a great place to be if you enjoy doing research

Conssome facility is old, needs update; the first year curriculum was very intense, the campus location (east baltimore) is bad, robbery happens very often

BISWAL lab posdoctoral experience

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsAbsolutely NONE! None! None! None!

ConsMany to ruin your career. You design the experiments, work very hard to finish a project and his pet "junior faculty" who have been with him for over 10 years, will take the first authorship. If an experiment does not work, you are made to repeat it 100 times and if it works for atleast once, that's enough to apply for his grants and publish his junior faculty's paper. No weekends, no vacation, no sick leaves and doesn't follow NIH guidelines for the minimum wage pay. Takes complete advantage of immigrants. A complete HELL HOLE.

Advice to Senior ManagementBiswal lab has to shut down.

Good if you want a free MA/MS, but that's about it...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe tuition remission was one of the things that I was most interested in taking advantage of. They allow you to take the maximum amount allowed per year. If you are also in need of good health benefit options, they have many, and because there are so many employees, it may be better to try to get into the pool there... IT IS EXPENSIVE STILL, though... If you want to get a free master's this is what I tell people their goal should be to maximize their benefit return.

ConsThey do not pay well/on par outside of JHU/JHMI. The DOCTORS don't even get what you think they get (and they have to find their own money for research AND pay for overhead out of that money at a 60% off the top rate). Also, they LOOOOVE to tout the tuition remission perk, but that can really only be taken advantage of by those who ALREADY HAVE A BACHELOR'S. They will not allow you to apply your remission funds to take classes in an undergraduate program - they all have to be in part-time programs, which are ALLL MASTER'S DEGREE programs. It's shady, unfair, and insulting to those who think that they will be able to get an initial degree but cannot because of the hidden asterisk.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe environment there, is VERY COMPETITIVE and promotes a culture/energy that a lot of people (read: NOT DOCTORS) find to be off-putting. Also, the pay is simply not competitive, and if you just take a tour of JHU Jobs and look at descriptions alone and then guess what they pay would be for the duties, I'd venture you'd be off by $20,000. Vacation time is not generous either (support staff), and that would help with the stressful/unfriendly environment. Also, Hopkins has a bad habit of firing people in very COWARDLY ways and replacing them with underqualified/inexperienced people from the outside to save money even after decades of loyalty sometimes. It's not cool.

Good place to work for beginning employees

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for advancement.

ConsIt can be bureaucratic at times, with lots of hierarchy.

Great for the resume but not a long term stop

Carey Business School (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe benefits are awesome and the work is dirt easy, the pace is super slow though sometimes it is too slow.

ConsThey pretty much don't give raises, at Carey I've gotten stellar annual reviews and been awarded 1.25% and 1.4% salary increases. It's just not sustainable long-term. Even worse they act like they're really hooking you up by giving you over the school average of 1%.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to give out such insulting raises than please stop making us fill out so much review paper work and forms. It's not worth all the time and trouble for was is at best an extra $1000 a year. I would be better off using that time updating my resume.

Nope

Prosperks, personal growthperks, personal growthperks, personal growthperks, personal growth

Constime-off pololciies,time-off pololciies,time-off pololciies,time-off pololciies,time-off pololciies

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!