Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• There is safety issues around the Medical Campus, although it is less of a concern around Homewood(in 7 reviews)

Johns Hopkins University remains a world leader in both teaching and research. Eminent professors mentor top students

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThose same faculty members, and their research colleagues at the university's Applied Physics Laboratory, have each year since 1979 won Johns Hopkins more federal research and development funding than any other university.

ConsSalary is low. could be stressful at time, though the great students and post docs are thinking about leaving

Great place to work at.

ProsMany career development opportunities. Work around brilliant people.

Consbad city environment, although the campus and hospital is safe to stay at, keep in mind it is because there is a security station every single block! Step out of the safe area? you will be shot at head or mugged immediately

Excellent research institution.

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLots of great minds here. Great supporting system for graduate student. Tons of collaborations between different labs.Graduate students receive tuition remission from school of medicine, Casey business school and school of public health. So it is convenient to explore different subjects.

ConsAccounting system is not good. Sometimes things can go really slow in a big institute like Hopkins. Medical campus is not that safe.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Research Nurse (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBenefits and fellow employees wonderful. Flexible schedule. Kids college education paid.

ConsPay for parking, not always as forward thinking as I would expect. Red tape.

Great place to Work

Engineer (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsYou can't beat the benefits

ConsExpensive area to live in.

Great student job

ProsFlexible work hours, great team, nice atmosphere.

ConsIt's a student job, so not necessarily what I want to after graduation.

Students are all genius. Great experience in JHU, but bad experience in Baltimore.

ProsMost advanced research topics. People are friendly in campus. Hard working every. A lot of geeks.

ConsLack sense of university honor. Too many campus, hard to have a feeling that I am involved in university culture.

very good school

Prosbeautiful campus
    JHMI and blue jay shuttle is sooo good

Consrelatively dangerous a few blocks away from campus

Athletic Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was a student worker for four years and loved it. Everyone was so nice and helpful and you feel like a family. Great place to work, pay wasn't great because I was a student worker but there were also times I could do work so it worked out.

ConsNone really. I enjoyed my time there, learned a lot in terms of office and phone etiquette.

Great place to work if you prefer good life-work balance

Prosflexible, not very stressful, big company benefit

Consbelow avg pay, not challenging enough

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!