Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews in Laurel, MD

3.9

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels
Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Great work life balance and being that I am still in school that is very important (in 15 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You may see a maximum 2% increase which doesn't cover cost of living expenses increase (in 7 reviews)

• Not much work/life balance in the culture (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to Work

Current Employee - Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can't beat the benefits

Cons

Expensive area to live in.

Lab motto: Critical Contributions to Critical Challenges

Former Employee - Program Manager in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong sense of mission. Extremely competent staff. Strong benefits. Stable environment

Cons

Modest compensation. Current management in the Space Department is extremely toxic and vindictive
    Not a lot of advancement opportunities

I worked here as a summer intern, so ymmv.

Former Employee - Programmer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Programmer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Small teams make this place feel smaller than it is. Being government affiliated, you know what to expect in terms of pay and so on. The projects I got to work on were interesting and useful. The people there are smart and stimulating.

Cons

Once again, it is government affiliated, so you get the cons of that as well. They do have stringent hiring requirements as well, and the culture is a little stuffier, with an older, more conservative workforce.

I didn't see much of the overall structure or other teams when I worked here, so I have none.

JHU/APL - a great place for the technically oriented.

Current Employee - Deputy Program Manager in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Deputy Program Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Quality personnel, quality tasks, great environment. These comments relate to the Applied Physics Laboratory, since the system wouldn't let me cull it out.

Cons

There's an academic reluctance to reward excellence, and a similar lack of backbone to hammer the non-performers. Luckily most folks are fantastic and this isn't a huge problem. There is also a reluctance to break out of the traditional focus areas and engage in new, possibly more challenging tasks.

Get out of your offices and lead. Walk around. Talk to people. Give the young engineers room to run and encourage them to be creative.

Flex hours makes this place an excellent work environment

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

(a) Flexible work hours
    (b) If you are lucky you may be working on a very technically challenging project which may lead to several publications
    (c) Wealth of subject matter experts makes this place a top notch research institute.

Cons

It is my impression that salaries are low with respect to other industrial R&D institutes.

Employee compensation should be comparable or better than peer organizations.

A great place for techies

Current Employee - Senior Staff in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

The environment is a nice mix of academic and industrial; we get to do innovative new thinking and apply it to the real world. It is an unusually egalitarian culture. Technical staff have a large degree of autonomy in selecting what they work on.

Cons

Individual staff members bear significant responsibility for bringing in new grants and contracts. You can work on whatever you want, but you have to find the money for it. Lack of graduate students (for cheap labor) sometimes hampers our competitiveness.

Change the incentive structure for program management to avoid fights over who gets credit for new programs.

APL a great place to work

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

APL has an excellent environment and great benefits. The pension match is the highest I've ever seen. The salaries raises are consistent and reliable. Very flexible work schedules.

Cons

housing prices in the immediate area are very expensive which leads to longer commutes.

Spend your overhead budgets wisely and eliminate some of the many layers of management

JHU is an awesome environment to find work fullfillment and life balance.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Management puts employees first - this spans the spectrum from work/life balance to career growth. The work at JHU is challenging and fulfilling - we make contributions that positively impact the state of our country and employees are proud to be a part of that. There is a real team environment and a lot less of the politics than are seen at other companies. Working for a non-profit is much less stressful than for-profit consulting.

Cons

The hiring process is broken so bringing on other good individuals is a frustrating process that takes patience on both ends. A lot of business process and systems are homegrown and can be difficult to wade through.

There are better bsuiness process and system options out there in industry that could be adopted to improve information flow within the organization.

Johns Hopkins is a good place to make a difference

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

There are a variety of opportunities within the university system. At APL, they offer a wide spectrum of industry work for the US government. Their goal is to make critical contributions to the nation, so the work is typically on the leading edge of the applied sciences.

Cons

At APL, there is a strong push to be relevant but practical when it comes to solutions. The risks taken must be balanced with the ability to make an impact in the short term. The most notable issue is their deep reliance and strong interest in classical systems engineering and linear innovation paths.

The management culture at APL needs to move beyond its reliance on deep hierarchical structures and power centers. There seems to be too much of a reflection of the military organizations we are trying to help. As an organization of creative and talented people, there needs to be a push for the expectation of maturity in individual performers that requires less supervision and leads to more freedom to excel.

APL is a good place to work if you want something stable and consistent but with mediocre salaries

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

APL is a very stable organization with a very laid-back atmosphere. The retirement benefits are very good (403b), one can take off for vacation with little notice, 3+ weeks of vacation per year, flexible hours and tele-commuting possible.

Cons

It is a very bipolar place - either you are a technical worker and not recognized or you are in management and run with the big boys. Only realistic way to move up is to go into management. Unfortunately a lot of the people in management should not be there as they are not very good at it. Salary is only so-so. Raises at end of year rarely meet inflation.

Management needs to be more in focus with those actually doing the technical work. Too often my supervisor has no clue what I am doing. And those management folks above him are even more clueless.

Johns Hopkins University Photos