Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Bad neighborhood for the medical campus (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a very academic university. Situations vary from department to department, but in general the stress level is high

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsEasy to find high quality cooperators;
    The efficiency of staff is a bit low, but again, it varies from department to department;
    Facilities and experimental instruments are available for most cases.

ConsThe safety of the neighborhood is a concern, especially for medical campus;
    Professors who focus more on lecturing is not appreciated enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work-life balance is not very good. This is also related to the funding pressure.

Fine employer, but limited opportunity.

ProsRelatively simple, straightforward structure. The culture of the university is great, we are provided good opportunities regularly to better ourselves or to further compensation.

ConsThe pay is not exactly ideal, Often, the administration is not transparent in how they are running departments or in terms of the opportunities available.

Designer for Research Group

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart intelligent people to work with.

ConsTheir are some egos and maybe that's because it's Johns Hopkins.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work as a postdoc

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsAs a postdoc you have extremely flexible work hours, the position is really results based rather than time based. You'll get the opportunity to work on cutting edge scientific research in your field. There is a postdoc association that has significantly improved the quality of life for postdocs over the past ten years, giving us benefits such as free access to the gym.

ConsThe pay is lower than an industry position, but generous compared to other university postdoc programs. As at every major academic institution, there is a large amount of bureaucracy to deal with. Additionally, working on the main campus it seemed that there was less interdepartmental collaboration than at other academic institutions where I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore formal programs to prepare graduate students and postdocs for reality that more than half will end up working in positions in industry. Many skills valued by employers are not taught at all, and this is a disservice to the students that are being trained.

Great benefits and nice atmosphere.

Senior Administrative Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBenefits, flexibility, working with smart people.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level, it is difficult to move up.

Graduate student public health

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsSome of the most influential methodologists; able to learn most up-to-date statistical and epidemiological techniques. May have government funding available for PhD level research. Not difficult to collaborate with the best and brightest. If you're outgoing and know what you want, you can get a great education here and develop fantastic collaborations.

ConsStrong emphasis on developing academic researchers to the exclusion of breadth of public health education. Incredibly competitive atmosphere-sometimes hard to reach professors.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what students want from a curriculum.

Great classes, research opportunities. Take very good care of their students/employees, always innovating and improving

ProsGood benefits, great community, motivated employees

ConsVery competitive environment, can be a bit stressful at times.

like the university a lot, good place to do a phd.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosgood place to do a phd degree. very nice professors and atomphese.

Consproject can be very challenging and need a lot of time investment.

Nice place to work and study

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent studying atmosphere, top level professors and college students, great campus environment.

ConsSometimes pressures from courses. Bad neighborhood for the medical campus.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBeing a teaching assistant was an enlightening experience: you saw how tests were graded and, sometimes, the flexibility that came in grading (maybe this wasn't a fair question; maybe this was worded funny; etc.). The pay was also pretty good at $12/hr. And usually professors are understanding come finals time.

ConsNo major cons really. It's a good experience that I would recommend taking if you have the opportunity. I guess the schedule isn't as flexible as other student jobs because you'll have to be there for class, but that's certainly understandable.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!