Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• There is safety issues around the Medical Campus, although it is less of a concern around Homewood(in 7 reviews)

Great classes, research opportunities. Take very good care of their students/employees, always innovating and improving

ProsGood benefits, great community, motivated employees

ConsVery competitive environment, can be a bit stressful at times.

like the university a lot, good place to do a phd.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosgood place to do a phd degree. very nice professors and atomphese.

Consproject can be very challenging and need a lot of time investment.

Nice place to work and study

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent studying atmosphere, top level professors and college students, great campus environment.

ConsSometimes pressures from courses. Bad neighborhood for the medical campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBeing a teaching assistant was an enlightening experience: you saw how tests were graded and, sometimes, the flexibility that came in grading (maybe this wasn't a fair question; maybe this was worded funny; etc.). The pay was also pretty good at $12/hr. And usually professors are understanding come finals time.

ConsNo major cons really. It's a good experience that I would recommend taking if you have the opportunity. I guess the schedule isn't as flexible as other student jobs because you'll have to be there for class, but that's certainly understandable.

It was a wonderful place. The staff there were absolutely nice and very helpful and resourceful.

Mail Clerk (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe pros are that once you are in the Johns hopkins family its easier for you to move around for professional growth.

ConsThe cons were that if you are temporary even at your best efforts you could be let go of due to hiring status. I encourage you to keep trying!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for allowing myself to work with you and one day we shall work again in a different forum.

Worked at CTY, great program, great people.

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Lancaster, CA

ProsSurrounded by brilliant people
    Students are really excited to learn
    Willing to give first time teaching opportunities
    Great staff culture
    Lancaster is a really fun, young town

ConsPay isn't great
    Tough hours
    Housing isn't great, especially for teaching assistants

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat program, keep getting talented instructors, perhaps get rid of study hall, as not much really happens there.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIt is really a good school for scientist and students. The salary is OK, just house expense is too high in Baltimore.

ConsIt is really a good school for scientist and students. The salary is OK, just house expense is too high in Baltimore.

Very fortunate to work here.

ProsSurrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits.

ConsSalaries are low and salary increases typically are less than cost of living increases, expensive parking, tight departmental budgets that don't allow for hiring of additional staff despite high workload volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an exceptional performance appraisal, salary increases should be more than 1 or 2%. Salary increases keep staff motivated.

Great place to work. Very friendly.

ProsRoom for growth. Good bonuses

ConsSome evenings, need to cover sick days

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people happy

Great intellectual culture

Faculty (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsVery energetic, productive, prestigious faculty
    Lots of opportunity and freedom to develop a research agenda
    Excellent library and research support staff
    Excellent, intellectually focused students
    Senior faculty are welcoming and generous when asked
    Baltimore is interesting with decent cost of living and rich local culture
    Close to DC and NYC
    JHU is an urban university with multiple campuses in Baltimore and DC. University leadership is taking positive steps to improve neighborhoods around its various campuses
    Lots of opportunities for non-faculty spouses

ConsVery little mentoring
    Senior faculty do not take initiative in reaching out to new faculty
    Very high pressure "publish or perish" culture
    Baltimore's reputation as a high crime city is way overblown. Lots of local news focusing on crime, but actual statistics are not so bad. The city is quickly gentrifying with many safe, affordable neighborhoods.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on developing a welcoming, collegial faculty culture

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!