Johns Hopkins University

Updated December 16, 2014
3.9

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels
Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Great work life balance and being that I am still in school that is very important (in 15 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You may see a maximum 2% increase which doesn't cover cost of living expenses increase (in 7 reviews)

• Not much work/life balance in the culture (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A community that supports it's employees, student, and faculty.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

JHU truly cares about their employees and their community. Benefits are amazing (health, dental, benefits savings plan, education reimbursement for the employee and their family, and more). They support their employees and help them succeed and grow. JHU's values to the surrounding community and culture are admirable.

Cons

The pay for support staff, while competitive, does leave a bit to be desired. HOWEVER, they make up for it in benefits.

Decent benefits, not the best pay, but great people to work with

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, many opportunities for growth, very good sick/vacation time provided, and the name JHU looks good on a resume. My department was great and I had wonderful coworkers and a very supportive boss.

Cons

The pay isn't that great, but that could change depending on what department you work for. There are so many different departments/organizations, that sometimes things get lost in the bureaucracy. Tuition benefits seem great on paper until you realize that their tuition remission rate is a small fraction of the cost of tuition per credit.

Your tuition benefits could be better and would probably help retain people.

Good place for studying

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Great people to work with. Good opportunities for career growth

Cons

Need more focus on non-bio related research

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on excellence; creative, innovative environment; great benefits; and, high energy.

Cons

Administratively inefficient; very decentralized, and, sometime it is sink or swim.

Do a better job at orientation.

Great community to work for.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've only worked part time, but the staff is great and I still receive many perks like free food, free educaational seminars, parking and travel compensation, etc.

Cons

Seems to be over staffed sometimes - lots of down time.

JHU is good place to have your Ph.D

Current Employee - Ph D Student in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Ph D Student in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very nice in university. Research is a bit intense and you have work hard to contribute.
    I'm lucky to work with a smart and friendly professor here.

Cons

I'm more concerned about the safety. Although I know the university has tried pretty hard to keep the campus and adjacent area safe. However, you have to always be careful and keep alert.

Please give us more fund for student to travel and learn from others.

Very good, but it really depends on who you work for within the university.

I worked at Johns Hopkins University part-time

Pros

Academic freedom and brand prestige.

Cons

Bureaucratic red tape can be stifling and may limit comp based on academic degree.

Great reputation, some of the bureaucracy can be frustrating

Former Employee - Program Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including 403b contribution and ample vacation/sick time. Great name recognition with the job. Good opportunities to conduct a wide variety of research. Great people who are really passionate about their work.

Cons

Very hierarchical as expected in an academic institution. Bureaucracy would get in the way of innovation/creativity sometimes. Some departments have a better work-life balance than others. In some, it seems that working on the weekends and at night is required. In a soft funding environment this may be expected given the current nature of research funding.

Create more opportunities to converse across levels (i.e., research staff, faculty, etc).

Horrible Management, Bad Working Environment

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Most of the junior staffers were very pleasant people to work with.

Cons

The challenge was not the content of the work. The organization is essentially an event organizing institution for the Korean government. The work is typical boring think tank work that does not translate beyond the walls of the office and has no implication on the real world. The real challenge is working with the higher level staff, who don't acknowledge or appreciate junior staffers. There is a lot of favoritism in play. Multiple staffers, including myself, have been discouraged by management to pursue a career path because of our gender (being women). Overall just a bad place to work and progress. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to pursue a career in international affairs.

Rigorous organizational restructuring is very crucial if the institution wants to stay a bit relevant in the Korea policy community and salvage the last of its reputation. Additionally, perhaps by providing better benefits, staffers might overlook management and want to stay at work longer than a year.

Great people to work with, very supportive upper management

Current Employee - Budget Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Budget Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supervisors and Managers genuinely care about helping others obtain upward mobility.

Cons

monotonous work, can be boring and not challenging enough.

Continue helping lower employees by sharing experience and providing room for growth.

Johns Hopkins University Photos