Johns Hopkins University

www.jhu.edu
Employer Engaged

Great place to work

I worked at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Productivity, creativity and great benefits and opportunities

Cons

Often work very long work hours.

Communication with administrative team

They've worked with me to make my life flexible.

Current Employee - Research Specialist
    Current Employee - Research Specialist

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a child and daycare costs in the city range from 12,000 to 19,000 a year. And you get what you pay for. I have been able to work my own set hours because i have built a strong relationship with my employer. Find a boss who cares and you can have good healthcare and flexible hours

Cons

Wages are lower because it is a private university. Higher wages can be found at public university's or industry.

Hopkins is great

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

-nice professors. They are very friendly and cooperative.
    -talented professors
    -nice stipend
    -famous

Cons

-unsafe neighborhood
    -not much for pass time

We must move forward

Current Employee - Wireless Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Wireless Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Johns Hopkins Institution has been my home for many years. I have been with them since the concept of wireless network deployments the institutions values are very important to me. I have involved with many wonderful projects that allow me to enhance wireless technologies across the entirety of the JHU JHH foot print. This includes Student/Faculty/Staff/Guest and Patients with developing robust safe network environment working along side Security and Bound medium engineering groups helping to create a fast safe transparent experience.

Cons

I feel my urges to move forward with bleeding edge design and wireless improvements is not moving forward like I had hoped and as we are a Cisco shop I am more of a vendor neutral engineer that sees value in other solutions which I feel I can improve my knowledge and existing platform for our users at JHU JHH but my current leadership doesn't agree and main issue is communication of the latter. I feel as if I am to better gauge my understandings of the field I will have to regrettably move on and find career advancement and hopefully provide the same level of service at another establishment in a technology that changes rapidly.

Sometimes you should listen idea not the person and let the engineers help based on their abilities to enhance and design.

Game Opps

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Fun, relaxed atmosphere. Great people to work with. Good learning experience for leadership and how to work in a sports environment. Hours are very flexible

Cons

pays minimum wage and salary doesn't increase with experience.

Employee efficiency

Current Employee - Research Associate in DC Ranch, AZ
    Current Employee - Research Associate in DC Ranch, AZ

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Employees seem to be able to accomplish plenty of work including research quickly

Cons

Not everyone accomplishes the same work

Equalize timing

Rewarding work, tremendous opportunity for training and growth

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Whether your job is related to education, patient care, or research, you are contributing to a "greater good". Working at JHU is rewarding. Training opportunities are robust. The online coursework was expanded significantly a few years ago when Hopkins contracted with SkillSoft for a library of thousands of certification program courses, technical courses, and other professional courses (leadership, management, supervision, time management, etc...)

The tuition grant program provides for 50% of your dependent children's tuition every semester (up to 50% of the cost of JHU's full-time tuition)) after you've worked for two years.

Strong commitment to work/life balance. Many departments allow flexible scheduling and work from home opportunities if the nature of the work allows for it.

Cons

The $5,250 Tuition Remission benefit is not as strong as it used to be. This is an IRS cap to keep the benefit nontaxable. It would be helpful if JHU would provide more (to keep up with the cost of tuition), even if the amount over $5,250 must be taxed.

Compensation is not competitive. Benefits more than make up for that for many.

For those managers who are opposed to flexible schedules or work from home opportunities, talk to the Office of Work, Life, and Engagement. They can explain the many positive benefits of implementing such programs.

Teaching assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Flexible hours, helpful instructors to show you how to teach in a classroom setting. Not too many students in your recitation section.

Cons

Low pay, long hours if you are not good at time management as far as grading and office hours. Students are very motivated, but often want to be walked through every step.

Graduate Research Assistant

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Johns Hopkins is a world-class research institute and all the best facilities are available for graduate students to further their research requirements.

Cons

The setting is mostly academic, and the preparation for a career in the industry is lacking. Career fairs etc. that happen are on a small scale, compared to other top universities.

Graduate Research Assistant

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

Mechanical department is very good

Cons

Nothing as per my experience

Johns Hopkins University Photos