Johns Hopkins

Johns Hopkins President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Johns Hopkins part-time for less than a year

ProsYou has the chance working with the most excellent professor throughout the country

ConsI didn't get any full-time opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is good

I worked here as a summer intern, so ymmv.

Programmer (Former Employee)
Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmall teams make this place feel smaller than it is. Being government affiliated, you know what to expect in terms of pay and so on. The projects I got to work on were interesting and useful. The people there are smart and stimulating.

ConsOnce again, it is government affiliated, so you get the cons of that as well. They do have stringent hiring requirements as well, and the culture is a little stuffier, with an older, more conservative workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't see much of the overall structure or other teams when I worked here, so I have none.

Lab motto: Critical Contributions to Critical Challenges

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Johns Hopkins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong sense of mission. Extremely competent staff. Strong benefits. Stable environment

ConsModest compensation. Current management in the Space Department is extremely toxic and vindictive
Not a lot of advancement opportunities

Advanced Academic Programs is a VERY Troubled Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Johns Hopkins full-time

ProsFlexible work schedule, great health benefits, tuition remission, generous dependent child tuition benefit, access to Johns Hopkins classes and degree programs

ConsDecentralized (but still bureaucratic), low salaries compared to private industry, lack of transparency in management decisions, growing focus on the bottom line over quality education and research, high turnover, no raises.

The department (Advanced Academic Programs) experienced a sudden leadership transition -- its dean unexpectedly resigned and was promptly replaced the next day. There was no information about how the replacement was selected.

When it was determined that faculty and staff had discovered negative stories about the new dean on her previous employer's student newspaper website, that site was briefly blocked at AAP (and then restored).

Although the department brought in a great deal of revenue, huge cuts were instituted because that revenue did not meet the parent school's projections. The parent school (Krieger School of Arts and Sciences) employees were granted a cost of living increase, but Advanced Academic Program's employees were not, despite also being employees of the parent school. AAP staff were told that this was because of our "poor performance," although the department still brought in more revenue to the parent school than all of the traditional academic departments.

Longtime faculty resigned, the department's only HR manager was reassigned to the main campus (and then resigned), a senior administrative manager left for another school at Hopkins and every member of the marketing department and web team left AAP voluntarily in the course of several months and were replaced by temps. Full-time replacements were not hired. Rumors of job cuts abounded, and several employees were demoted or lost their jobs. Staff members who left have not been replaced -- and budget cuts have severely limited several academic programs (in some cases, the cuts made it so that only a handful of courses could be taught per semester).

Faculty and staff have been reprimanded for informing students about the budget cuts and departures and there was a department-wide edict that students are not to be told when senior faculty or staff leave the program.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency regarding senior-level decisions, more staff involvement,

JHU - great place to work

Junior Management Position (Former Employee)

I worked at Johns Hopkins

ProsSalary and benefits were excellent. Collegial atmosphere; relaxed. Senior management encouraged staff growth via training programs and/or free masters level programs.

ConsThe Senior management at SAIS are not supportive of their staff.

JHU/APL - a great place for the technically oriented.

Deputy Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins

ProsQuality personnel, quality tasks, great environment. These comments relate to the Applied Physics Laboratory, since the system wouldn't let me cull it out.

ConsThere's an academic reluctance to reward excellence, and a similar lack of backbone to hammer the non-performers. Luckily most folks are fantastic and this isn't a huge problem. There is also a reluctance to break out of the traditional focus areas and engage in new, possibly more challenging tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your offices and lead. Walk around. Talk to people. Give the young engineers room to run and encourage them to be creative.

Flex hours makes this place an excellent work environment

Senior Professional Staff II (Current Employee)

Pros(a) Flexible work hours
(b) If you are lucky you may be working on a very technically challenging project which may lead to several publications
(c) Wealth of subject matter experts makes this place a top notch research institute.

ConsIt is my impression that salaries are low with respect to other industrial R&D institutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee compensation should be comparable or better than peer organizations.

APL a great place to work

Senior Professional Staff I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins

ProsAPL has an excellent environment and great benefits. The pension match is the highest I've ever seen. The salaries raises are consistent and reliable. Very flexible work schedules.

Conshousing prices in the immediate area are very expensive which leads to longer commutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend your overhead budgets wisely and eliminate some of the many layers of management

JHU is an awesome environment to find work fullfillment and life balance.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins

ProsManagement puts employees first - this spans the spectrum from work/life balance to career growth. The work at JHU is challenging and fulfilling - we make contributions that positively impact the state of our country and employees are proud to be a part of that. There is a real team environment and a lot less of the politics than are seen at other companies. Working for a non-profit is much less stressful than for-profit consulting.

ConsThe hiring process is broken so bringing on other good individuals is a frustrating process that takes patience on both ends. A lot of business process and systems are homegrown and can be difficult to wade through.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are better bsuiness process and system options out there in industry that could be adopted to improve information flow within the organization.

A great place for techies

Senior Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins

ProsThe environment is a nice mix of academic and industrial; we get to do innovative new thinking and apply it to the real world. It is an unusually egalitarian culture. Technical staff have a large degree of autonomy in selecting what they work on.

ConsIndividual staff members bear significant responsibility for bringing in new grants and contracts. You can work on whatever you want, but you have to find the money for it. Lack of graduate students (for cheap labor) sometimes hampers our competitiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the incentive structure for program management to avoid fights over who gets credit for new programs.

Worked for Johns Hopkins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johns Hopkins reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Johns Hopkins CEO Ronald J. Daniels. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Johns Hopkins employees.